In need of suggesions for improving product shots

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by davesnothere11, Jan 28, 2012.

1. davesnothere11

davesnothere11 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here is a collage of some product shots I have done for my wife. She makes "suncatchers" and wanted me to do photos for her to post on a website. I am wondering if I could get suggestions to improve my efforts. I used a light box with fleece background with clamp lights and GE Reveal lightbulbs ( budgetwise that is what I have for now so please don't say buy better lights ). I put the shots together so you need only look at one photo but numbered them if that helps also.

One of my goals was to get the photo right "in camera" as much as possible to minimize processing to cropping and curves adjustments since I am working with a lot of pieces. I under exposed the black background ones (about 1.5 stops) and over exposed the white background ones (about 2 stops) to help get the color of the background right "in camera". White balance was done with a grey card.

So thanks for looking and if you can offer a suggestion for improvement, please do.

[​IMG]
    samples by davesnothere11, on Flickr

2. EIngerson

EIngerson Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What do you not like about them? From what I see, they are sharp. clear and show the product accurately.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Those look nice. I especially like #4, and #5 a bit less. The salmon design in #4 is just super! Exposures look pretty good, and the -1.5 and +2.0 is about right for metering offset. All I'd say is I'd like to see a bit more of a close-up of the charm at the end...The smaller, seed beads that come down are kind of unimportant, and yet, hey take up almost 1/3 of each photo, so maybe a better way might be to show them laying down, coiled, so that the charm and the more major beadwork is in the foreground, and is shown from "closer-up". I dunno...I've never seen this type of beadwork photographed before, but my brain wants to see MORE of the charm and the major beads, and I don;t care about the seed beads at the top. You could also show the overall view (like you show here), and then individual close-ups of the charms and lower beads...that'd work too.

4. davesnothere11

davesnothere11 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for looking.

You describe exactly what I wanted to do but was instructed by my wife that she wanted the overall look. Maybe I can change her mind.

5. sparks017

sparks017 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If anything have the overall look like your wife is asking and then take a closer image for more detail. Maybe make the more detailed image a square and combine the two in a collage in photoshop. That way you get the best of both worlds.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davesnothere11

davesnothere11 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good suggestion.

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    You sound like you've been married for 'a while', and yet, not 'for a long time'. I'm pretty sure you know what I mean by that. lol

Yes, an overall look + a close-up would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davesnothere11

davesnothere11 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh I know what you mean. "Change her mind" was said with MUCH sarcasm intended.

• Like Like x 1
  9. davesnothere11

davesnothere11 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  10. sparks017

sparks017 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like that maybe make more of a distinction between the two photos, maybe a soft grey line just so it doesn't seem like it was the same photo of a bead charm and a larger bead charm.

11. sparks017

sparks017 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also if you are going to have the bigger beads, maybe not crop off the top one, if anything zoom out a little more and crop the seed beads instead of the bigger beads which are one of the main details.

12. printsnpaints

printsnpaints TPF Noob!

I think you're getting closer with the updated shot. I think you can have just the close-up shots, especially if you have a few images of the dream catchers set up, like in a window or something, so that people can see how they look in real life.