gizmo2071

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ummonshadow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys.
I'm still really struggling with my IR converstions.
I think the IR filter that I use is a tad crap.
So I've put 2 RAW images in this zip file so you can play with the WB.
I did set custom WB to a patch of grass, but it didn't seem to work.

The zip file can be found here

Here's how the images look just converted straight to JPG.

IMG_7468.jpg

and

IMG_7471.jpg

So if you seasoned IR pro's wish to see if these are even in position to be converted, then please give it a go :)

Thanks.

hey gizmo, what IR filter are you using? these look like they came from a fairly dense wratten filter?

I have no idea what filter it is.
It was given to me and it has no writting on it at all.
I have yet to get a single decent IR shot using it tho.
I've tried having custom WB set to the grass and to a grey card.
Had really long exposures and shorter, tried different ISO's.
I think this filter is no good.

there is something wrong here. The grass and stuff doesnt get a light color, which it is supose to have with an IR filter. Im just guessing here, but i think its a normal red filter or something. I tried to convert these, but i cant get a good white balance. Maybe someone else can give it a go.

lol... yea i had similar trouble with an old IR filter that was given to me.... i had the advantage of already owning the Hoya R72, so i would keep my camera on the same settings as the Hoya and switch to the old IR filter but it always came out a stronger red colour than the Hoya, even with a custom WB.

I did manage to get it to work in the end using using rawshooter essentials (some IR temperatures are too hot for PS to be able to process acurately).... you can see the results here... although not great pics because shortly after shooting these, the filter fell apart!... a bit too old maybe....

I cant seem to download your zip file... it starts very slow and then times out?

EDIT: its downloading ok now ;)

I think I'll have to invest in a hoya R72 at some point in the future.
It's definatly very dense, I'm having to compensate by at least 5/6 stops to just get it exposed.
Is it like 2/3 stops with the R72?

Its pretty similar even with the Hoya R72 to be honest.... you cant see through it when its on your cam... so you have to do all the composition and focusing before you attach it.

well, iv had a look at these, the first is too hot.... its way off the scale, even in RS Essentials.... this is probably due to it being overexposed with the filter on..... but i did mange to give it a 'conversion' of a kind....
The second did convert (reluctantly) and is more like IR but the blue is strong.... i can post them here if you wish.... i actually quite like the effect, like a bad trip on a summers evening :lol:

Please do.
Be interesting to see what effects you got with them.
I got alot of blue in mine aswell, which is odd.

ok here you go... not quite the IR look we're use to.... but trippy certainly!...

IMG_7471-01.jpg

^so in this one i desaturated the cyan and some of the red.... with a Hoya filter desaturating those colours a tad is enough to get rid of them completely, but with this if i desaturated completely i end up with a pretty normal looking b+w shot... which makes me wonder about the IR side of things.... although the spidery plant in the forground is definatly white.

The other one is a voyage to trip out city!... way too hot for IR...but you still may be able to use this filter for something... i do like the effect it had on the house for example, that could work in a different scenario....

IMG_7468-01.jpg

That's whats confusing me, certain things seem to pick up the IR, but most don't and just go funky colours.
I thought that I just couldn't convert to IR colours, but as you said, it won't even go IR when converted to B&W. It just looks like a normal B&W shot. Damn nabbit.
But I can certainly get some interesting shots.... but thats not what I want :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back