Is my Canon A-1 broken? Or is it my fault...

Leneagle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I'm very new to shooting on film so all help is appreciated.
I recently got a used Canon A-1 (I shot on Kodak 200 ISO film) and the pictures came out horrible and not useable.
I already had an issue with it once before where the shutter button wouldn't work and I couldn't advance the film/lever. I was able to fix that issue but now I fear that my camera is broken?
Weirdly 2 pictures I got out of the 36 where somewhat ok I will attach them below, underneath the bad ones. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong but when taking the fotos I shot on 1.8f (in Av mode) and the shutter speed was never a crazy high or low number so I thought it was fine...
Thank you for any help!

Screenshot_20211229-175624_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211229-175658_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211229-175633_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211229-175707_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211229-175719_Gallery.jpg

You got an exposure problem if this is using an auto exposure mode ... either the internal light meter, or the shutter mechanism.
Without film you can check both ... point at something dark and look at what the exposure meter is saying ... should be slow shutter speed ... then take a shot with the back open and see if the shutter curtains remain open for an expected time.

... if you are shooting in full manual ... then it may be your fault.

When you shoot in Av mode is the lens' aperture ring set at the "A" position?

You got an exposure problem if this is using an auto exposure mode ... either the internal light meter, or the shutter mechanism.
Without film you can check both ... point at something dark and look at what the exposure meter is saying ... should be slow shutter speed ... then take a shot with the back open and see if the shutter curtains remain open for an expected time.

... if you are shooting in full manual ... then it may be your fault.
Ok thank you! I wasn't shooting in full manual, the exposure meter is showing slow shutter speed when I point at something dark, can't check the shutter right now cause I have film in but I'll check once it's out. Maybe I'll try shooting a few in fully automatic mode and see how they turn out haha. Otherwise maybe I should get it looked at by a professional or something

I don't have a lever it's more like a little slidy thing next to my lens, but I never touched it really. As I didn't really understand stopped down metering and thought I just leave it as it is

You may want to try some exposure comparisons using the camera in manual mode. Pick out an object in bright sunlight, and the exposure should be 1/film speed (say ISO 200) @ f/16, i.e. the "Sunny f/16" rule. Next, set your camera to Av, select f/16, and the shutter speed should be close to what the Sunny f/16 rule should be.

PS - In the case of 1/200, move the shutter speed to 1/250, as print film has a lot of latitude.

Hello,

I'm very new to shooting on film so all help is appreciated.
I recently got a used Canon A-1 (I shot on Kodak 200 ISO film) and the pictures came out horrible and not useable.
I already had an issue with it once before where the shutter button wouldn't work and I couldn't advance the film/lever. I was able to fix that issue but now I fear that my camera is broken?
Weirdly 2 pictures I got out of the 36 where somewhat ok I will attach them below, underneath the bad ones. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong but when taking the fotos I shot on 1.8f (in Av mode) and the shutter speed was never a crazy high or low number so I thought it was fine...
Thank you for any help!

View attachment 252315View attachment 252316View attachment 252317View attachment 252318View attachment 252319
I have a Canon A1 camera with a similar problem. The problem may be a sticking shutter. After a lot of experimenting, I discovered I could get only get proper pictures after advancing the film a few times. It continued to have that problem every time the camera was not used for awhile. My recommendation is to have it serviced by a reputable company. The camera is certainly capable of taking excellent photos!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back