Is the 20 2.8D really that bad on FX?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After buying my macro lens, I will be in search of a ultra wide lens. 24mm is wide for most of my stuff..but there are times when I need wider and 20mm on full frame is a quite different from 24mm.

When I shot DX, I had the Tokina 12-24 and I shot a lot around the 13-14mm mark which would be equivalent the 20mm on FX if I'm not mistaken.

I've always admired the 20 2.8D, but I read that its really crappy on full frame and not sharp at all.

If there are any cheaper alternatives, please let me know. I considered the Rokinon 14mm 2.8..but I find 14mm just too wide for my tastes.

I've had no outstanding issues with my 20/2.8D.

As with any ultra-wide, you will get softer corners and more vignetting compared to lenses of 35mm and up.

The best cost-benefit UWA Nikkor is the AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED [$750].

Others option for you to check out at 'afordable' price tags:
  • Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 ED IF AS UMC manual focus w/focus confirmation chip [$300]
  • Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG ASP Macro [$450]
  • Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX AS DG DF Macro [$500]
  • Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG ASP RF [$550]
  • Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC manual focus w/focus confirmation chip [$550]
  • Nikkor AF 20mm f/2.8D [$560]
  • Nikkor AF-S 28mm f/1.8G [$600]
  • Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 AT-X PRO [$630]

Last edited:
I plan on buying used. I can get the 20 2.8D for around $300 in really nice shape.

I nearly bought a 20/2.8D. I was using a 24/2.8D but compared to my 24-85/2.8-4 the zoom lens was just as good at 24. So I went searching for something wider .. as you can NEVER get wide enough !!

I looked into the 20/2.8 alot, read alot, etc etc. But good ones were hard to find ( I didn't know about KEH at that time) so I kept looking at alternatives.

In the end I actually got a Nikon 18-35D lens. yes, it doesn't get the greatest reviews as it's an older lens, it's not very fast and there are newer iterations of it but it was inexpensive. And 18 is better than 20 :)

My flickr is littered with using that 18-35 lens - all the car show Albums are with that lens.

I nearly bought the Tokina 18-35 (or is it 16-35) /2.8 though as that always got good reviews from people that use it. or was it Tamron .. I get so confused sometimes on who makes what.

But I'm satisfied with my Nikon 18-35D and to me it takes good photos.
Now I wouldn't mind getting something in the 16 or 14 range ... or a fisheye

I think Sigma a while back made a 15-30 2.8 for full frame, I guess its kind of a rare lens. One of the reasons why I like the 20 2.8D is because its lightweight and small.

Like you, I used my 12-24 a lot for car shows and while the 24mm gets the job done...its just not wide enough for my style. But I think a lens from 18-20mm will be perfect.

I considered the old, but good 20-35 2.8D, but its so close to the 18-35G..might as well get the new lens instead. Very little stores even have the new 18-35G in stock anyways, its ALWAYS on backorder. Ones that are used on eBay are selling for more than it cost new.

Unfortunately, after buying the macro lens..my budget will be limited so there is no way I could grab the 18-35G right now anyways. But a used 20 2.8D I can do.

For FX wide angle I have been pleased with my sigma 17-35 f/2.8-4

Take a gander at the 17-35/2.8 AF-D, too.

ETA: you may want to try renting any lens you're thinking about for a weekend and try it out. AFAIC, that's a cheap way to find out if a lens works for you.

Last edited:
I think Sigma a while back made a 15-30 2.8 for full frame, I guess its kind of a rare lens. One of the reasons why I like the 20 2.8D is because its lightweight and small.

Like you, I used my 12-24 a lot for car shows and while the 24mm gets the job done...its just not wide enough for my style. But I think a lens from 18-20mm will be perfect.

I considered the old, but good 20-35 2.8D, but its so close to the 18-35G..might as well get the new lens instead. Very little stores even have the new 18-35G in stock anyways, its ALWAYS on backorder. Ones that are used on eBay are selling for more than it cost new.

Unfortunately, after buying the macro lens..my budget will be limited so there is no way I could grab the 18-35G right now anyways. But a used 20 2.8D I can do.
I had the 20-35 for a while. No complaints, I just wanted something wider.
the 18-35/3.5-4.5 AF-D is compact and lightweight (and inexpensive) and meets my needs so far.

I've read, the older, ais version is s bit better.

R U kidding me? I loved that lens. I sold landscapes from Alaska with it. It's awesome! Only reason I sold mine is because I got to trade even for the 20-35 f2.8D thanks the keh.com....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back