Is There Any Reason To Consider Selling RAW Files to Clients?

dvjproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
dvjphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ran across this the other day when talking with someone about photography while on vacation. I was wearing a shirt that raises some eyebrows and I get asked...A LOT... what it means. This will strike up a conversation or the person will just leave confused.

I've gotten jobs because of this shirt.

What this person asked is if they hire me for a personal portrait shoot if they can have the RAW files.

I was taken a back and after a little while of contemplating the question I am asking you folks, I told the person no. Apparently it was a deal breaker, but aside from other photographers I cannot see any reason why they'd want the RAW files.

Anyway, here I am, asking you the question:

Is there any circumstance you'd sell a photo shoot to include the RAW files at the end?

<3 Archer. And I am glad you agree.

Curious on another related topic though.

What would this non-photographer wanted with the RAW files?

I know what a few 'internet' photo folks say about selling RAW, they are all against it. I am curious on the reason for it. Even if they get the JPG they can reproduce right? Or should I be only looking at selling in print?

Last edited by a moderator:
for me, its about a finished product.
sometimes, the raw file freshly imported into LR looks like poo. i often shoot wide so i have more cropping options, and there are sometimes things that I am going to Photoshop in or out of a picture. I don't hand out unfinished products to clients. ever.

When I am asked that it's usually because the potential client doesn't understand what they're asking. They're thinking large unedited jog files. I have had a client want the actual raws...no problem, only $50 ea and they have to buy all 600 or so.

Almost anything has a price. The circumstance is you get decent $ for it lol.

for me, its about a finished product.
sometimes, the raw file freshly imported into LR looks like poo. i often shoot wide so i have more cropping options, and there are sometimes things that I am going to Photoshop in or out of a picture. I don't hand out unfinished products to clients. ever.

This concerns me as well. And is part of the reason I didn't go for it. While I try to get shots 'right' in the camera, I will often shoot wide at the same time 'just in case'

Almost anything has a price. The circumstance is you get decent $ for it lol.

I think the quote above yours states that perfectly.

When I am asked that it's usually because the potential client doesn't understand what they're asking. They're thinking large unedited jog files. I have had a client want the actual raws...no problem, only $50 ea and they have to buy all 600 or so.

This would be a great way to make a little extra cash flow, but I would be hesitant to even present this to a client. I would rather stand on my principles and lose a client because of it than lose a client because they think I am price gouging them. I suppose it would take a lot of explaining of the 'whys' and 'what raw is used for' etc to gain that kinda price tag.

I never sell my RAWS. Bc what Pix said. It's all about the final product. How do I know the person getting them knows how to edit and blah blah blah.

I'm not willing to put my name on that. They may come out like crap. Over sharpened. Over saturated. Etc and then my name is attached to them.

No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many people ask for RAWs but don't have clue what they are really asking for. What they often mean is that they want a jpeg that hasn't been through "Photoshop". If you gave them actual RAW files they'd not even be able to open them, let alone respect their un-edited state. The same is true of businesses as well, again its people often saying one thing that means something totally different.

Many people get the idea that photoshop and editing some how reduces the purity of a shot; or that the photographer is a "hack" using editing to cover up for mistakes/lack of skill in the camera. Again this is a false impression (PS advertising doesn't help the case of the average photographer either), but one that many people have.

Others want to get their full monies worth and feel that owning the original core file is the way to do that; sometimes they are just control freaks, other times they are scared by the idea of people abusing photos of them for profit (sold your photo to an art gallery - made a fortune!) and some are just saying it because their friends told them to.

In the end I'd subscribe to the complete package approach - when hired or paid the client is getting a photo; not a file, not a raw, not a strip of film negatives; but an actual finished photo. Thus it should be processed as expected into the final form and then presented in the desired format (print - file - internet ready file etc...).

IF someone wants to have the RAW (or your film negative) they've both got to display good reason for it and also pay for it. Remember as a professional you don't really want to just give out your "raw" files which will then likely be displayed (or badly edited and then displayed) by clients as a mark of your ability. So they've got to show that they really do have a valid reason and a sound understanding of what they are asking for - price is a debatable subject although typically RAWs are priced very high; this ensures maximum profit for the photographer (since typically transfer of RAWs will come with an near unlimited usage licence for the client*) and also helps discourage people from asking for it in the first place (or pushing for it if they ask and baulk at the cost).

*many assume this but its not actual fact, even if they've the RAW they still don't have unlimited usage rights - get that part agreed to in the contract clearly.

Many people ask for RAWs but don't have clue what they are really asking for. What they often mean is that they want a jpeg that hasn't been through "Photoshop". If you gave them actual RAW files they'd not even be able to open them, let alone respect their un-edited state. The same is true of businesses as well, again its people often saying one thing that means something totally different.

Many people get the idea that photoshop and editing some how reduces the purity of a shot; or that the photographer is a "hack" using editing to cover up for mistakes/lack of skill in the camera. Again this is a false impression (PS advertising doesn't help the case of the average photographer either), but one that many people have.

Others want to get their full monies worth and feel that owning the original core file is the way to do that; sometimes they are just control freaks, other times they are scared by the idea of people abusing photos of them for profit (sold your photo to an art gallery - made a fortune!) and some are just saying it because their friends told them to.

In the end I'd subscribe to the complete package approach - when hired or paid the client is getting a photo; not a file, not a raw, not a strip of film negatives; but an actual finished photo. Thus it should be processed as expected into the final form and then presented in the desired format (print - file - internet ready file etc...).

IF someone wants to have the RAW (or your film negative) they've both got to display good reason for it and also pay for it. Remember as a professional you don't really want to just give out your "raw" files which will then likely be displayed (or badly edited and then displayed) by clients as a mark of your ability. So they've got to show that they really do have a valid reason and a sound understanding of what they are asking for - price is a debatable subject although typically RAWs are priced very high; this ensures maximum profit for the photographer (since typically transfer of RAWs will come with an near unlimited usage licence for the client*) and also helps discourage people from asking for it in the first place (or pushing for it if they ask and baulk at the cost).

*many assume this but its not actual fact, even if they've the RAW they still don't have unlimited usage rights - get that part agreed to in the contract clearly.

I think this advice sums up all the replies, including my own, in a nutshell.

Thank you guys for helping me out with this. I think I may have passed up an opportunity to make enough to get a few cameras here...where I am vacationing has some very very very wealthy folks. She might be willing to shell out the money for it, I think I might contact her tonight with a few figures and discussion of a contract.

Is there any circumstance you'd sell a photo shoot to include the RAW files at the end?

ABSO-F***ING-LOUTELY NOT.

:lol:
Besides. 99.99999999999999999% of the time, when a client asks for the "raw" files, they think they're asking for high resolution JPEGs. They don't really know what that means.

And on the off-chance that they don't mean "high resolution JPEGs", they mean unedited JPEGs. (And the answer to that question is STILL no). As proven on this very forum recently, there are *photographers* out there who think RAW files are something other than what they are... how are *normal* non-photographic people supposed to really know what that means? :lol:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back