Is there anything wrong shooting what you like?

If it doesn't involve wedding vows, I'll shoot it.

I've never felt like I ever needed to justify that to anyone, nor do I believe I ever could feel like I needed to justify it...

Justify NOT shooting weddings? Well, if you ever need to, I know hundreds of reasons not to and I've never done it. :D

I've never felt like I ever needed to justify that to anyone, nor do I believe I ever could feel like I needed to justify it...

Justify NOT shooting weddings? Well, if you ever need to, I know hundreds of reasons not to and I've never done it. :D

No, what I'm saying is that I've never felt compelled to justify anything to anyone...

Try shooting at a Zoo with a 300 f/2.8 or 200-400 f/4.... or even just a 70-200 f/2.8 and you'll be amazed at all the ridiculous questions and comments. When I'm out shooting (especially where there are lots of other people) I do a pretty good job of just ignoring everyone. If someone does say something to me I typically forget what they said about 2 seconds later. I'm just there to enjoy some sights and get some shots. The rest doesn't matter.

I get stopped all the time at the zoo when I'm using the 70-200 mm 2.8. People ask me questions, want advice on settings or technique. I even have them handing me their cameras and asking me to take their pictures.

I've met a lot of really great folks this way so it's never bothered me a bit.

I guess it helps a lot that I can go to the zoo pretty much every weekend. I know I have plenty of time and that I'll be back again next week anyway.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Try shooting at a Zoo with a 300 f/2.8 or 200-400 f/4.... or even just a 70-200 f/2.8 and you'll be amazed at all the ridiculous questions and comments. When I'm out shooting (especially where there are lots of other people) I do a pretty good job of just ignoring everyone. If someone does say something to me I typically forget what they said about 2 seconds later. I'm just there to enjoy some sights and get some shots. The rest doesn't matter.

I get stopped all the time at the zoo when I'm using the 70-200 mm 2.8. People ask me questions, want advice on settings or technique. I even have them handing me their cameras and asking me to take their pictures.

I've met a lot of really great folks this way so it's never bothered me a bit.

I guess it helps a lot that I can go to the zoo pretty much every weekend. I know I have plenty of time and that I'll be back again next week anyway.

When I went on vacation is was nearly impossible to find someone that could shoot my DLSR, even when I put it in auto mode and told them what to do. I eventually had to turn on live view for most people. Then one afternoon we ran into a couple that had their own nikon and I was excited to finally get someone that knew how to shoot and asked them to take our picture. Probably the poorest composed picture I've ever seen in my life. I'll have to upload it to show you, but the beach was the background, she shot in portrait and cut us off that the necks, iirc. We were probably 5% of the frame.

But when I'm out with friends/events I do get a lot of: his pictures are good because he has a good camera. They aren't wrong ;)

If someone asked me for advice I'd tell them to buy better equipment first. :) Just kidding, I wish people would talk shop with me, my wife would appreciate me not having to bother her with it.

When I went on vacation is was nearly impossible to find someone that could shoot my DLSR, even when I put it in auto mode and told them what to do. I eventually had to turn on live view for most people. Then one afternoon we ran into a couple that had their own nikon and I was excited to finally get someone that knew how to shoot and asked them to take our picture. Probably the poorest composed picture I've ever seen in my life. I'll have to upload it to show you, but the beach was the background, she shot in portrait and cut us off that the necks, iirc. We were probably 5% of the frame.

But when I'm out with friends/events I do get a lot of: his pictures are good because he has a good camera. They aren't wrong ;)

If someone asked me for advice I'd tell them to buy better equipment first. :) Just kidding, I wish people would talk shop with me, my wife would appreciate me not having to bother her with it.

That's the funniest thing - most of the people who ask me for advice have serious high dollar cameras, just no clue how to use them. They'll have 2 to 3 times as much invested in their camera body as I do and they are asking me for advice. I run into a lot of guys with the high end Canons, Mark II and Mark III's, and the story is always the same. I just got the camera and I thought if I spent a ton of money on it I'd get great pictures but that's not what's happening.. lol. As to the portrait thing I'm about half ready to just buy a bunch of cheap 2 gb SD cards so I can use my own camera. Last time I as there the lady handed me a point and shoot that was so small I could literally fit it in the palm of my hand and make it completely dissapear by making a fist.

The thing was beyond tiny - lol. So I'm thinking maybe just stock up on cheap 2 GB cards so I can pop them into my own camera, get them some worthwhile shots. If there is one thing I have discovered from the experience, I hate point and shoots.. lol.

As to your own vacation pics, hopefully on the beach pics the "photographer" at least cut you off from the neck up, rather than down.. rotfl. Well, if nothing else there is always photoshop.

Ha, speaking of: there was one guy that took our picture and he pretty much got down on the floor and shot us from below. We looked so bad, my wife said she will never wear that dress again.

Ha, speaking of: there was one guy that took our picture and he pretty much got down on the floor and shot us from below. We looked so bad, my wife said she will never wear that dress again.

Lol did you try the old "honey it's not your dress its the camera- we need a new one" bit?

I spend most of my free time photographing deserts. No one gets to see them except me and a few friends but it is my hobby to get a good desert pic and if it takes me the rest of my time in Qatar then so be it.

Have to say photography for me has taken a whole new twist since I got a decent camera phone.

CHEERS

I've seen posts over the years by people who loved photography until they turned pro and had to deal with all the bull**** that comes with putting food on your table -- sometimes even to the extent that they've come to hate photography. What a shame....

I'd say by all means, enjoy your hobby!

I've seen posts over the years by people who loved photography until they turned pro and had to deal with all the bull**** that comes with putting food on your table -- sometimes even to the extent that they've come to hate photography. What a shame....

I'd say by all means, enjoy your hobby!

This is the main reason I've never "quite my day job". I've shot some weddings to help out a friend who's main 2nd photographer couldn't be there and it's a bit stressful... kind of like a job. :mrgreen:
I just wouldn't be able to do that one day and then be excited about going hiking to shoot some wildlife the next day. That same friend does it though and he still loves it. So it just depends on your mindset.

That's the funniest thing - most of the people who ask me for advice have serious high dollar cameras, just no clue how to use them. They'll have 2 to 3 times as much invested in their camera body as I do and they are asking me for advice.

Lol - I had a guy sit down next to me at a swim meet last year and ask me what settings I was using. He had a brand-new 60D, a couple grand in glass, and not a clue how to use them. I do sometimes get the impression that some of these people are looking for a "quick fix" solution rather than a ticket to spend any real time learning how to take decent photos... whatever the equipment.

That's the funniest thing - most of the people who ask me for advice have serious high dollar cameras, just no clue how to use them. They'll have 2 to 3 times as much invested in their camera body as I do and they are asking me for advice.

Lol - I had a guy sit down next to me at a swim meet last year and ask me what settings I was using. He had a brand-new 60D, a couple grand in glass, and not a clue how to use them. I do sometimes get the impression that some of these people are looking for a "quick fix" solution rather than a ticket to spend any real time learning how to take decent photos... whatever the equipment.

The people you guys meet are way ahead of the people I meet. Every time I get asked what lens I'm using and I say 70 to 200mm I'm met with a blank stare and I wait for the eventual question that ALWAYS follows; 90% of the time in these exact words.... "so how many times zoom is that?". To which I reply "Just under 3". Again ... every time "Well that's not very much. I would think it zooms much further with how big it is!". And this is why I now ignore people.

No, what I'm saying is that I've never felt compelled to justify anything to anyone...

Oh. Well, so much for my attempt at humor. :lol:

The people you guys meet are way ahead of the people I meet. Every time I get asked what lens I'm using and I say 70 to 200mm I'm met with a blank stare and I wait for the eventual question that ALWAYS follows; 90% of the time in these exact words.... "so how many times zoom is that?". To which I reply "Just under 3". Again ... every time "Well that's not very much. I would think it zooms much further with how big it is!". And this is why I now ignore people.

Lol.. well they don't usually ask me about the 200 mm, or if they do they generally say something like "Wow, you must be able to zoom in a lot with that!", thinking of course since it is a big lens that means it must be a monster telephoto of some sort. I generally just smile and thank them and move on.. lol. Not much point in trying to explain the whole 2.8 aperture thing to them. I have run into a couple of guys that really knew there stuff and they were a real delight to talk to, one of them was there with his kids and they had brought a bridge camera with them that day but apparently he's got quite a bit of coin tied up in both Canon and Pentax gear. Nice guy, we swapped a lot of useful information.

But for the most part it's folks with the P&S cameras that spot me and figure, hey, that guy can take our picture! I guess they figure if I'm weighted down with all of my own gear I'm a lot less likely to try and run off with theirs - Lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back