Is this a good Tripod to get if I want something REALLY good ?

supercool2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is the one I currently have I can't find info on it online. I paid less than $100. and its a manfroto. Very flimsy and it rocks and feels unstable when i have it on uneven surfaces like in my backyard, on the little gravel rocks,etc... and if the lens&camera is heavy on it. It was an upgrade from an even more flimsy tripod i now use as a stand for my speedlight, or a tripod for my little canon camcorder.

Dolica 57? Reversible Traveler Edition Tripod Bundle

Just wondering if you think this will be good enough for my Nikon D7100. I don't have any zoom lenses right now but plan to. so it needs to support heavy weight too.

The issue I see with the Dolica is that it's 12.5 inches collapsed, and 57 inches at maximum height--by way of 5-section legs. FIVE leg sections...man, that's like 15 joints if my math is correct, when all three legs are extended to their full height...I think it will probably hold the camera up, yes. But will it hold the camera rock-steady for a 30-second exposure? Or in some breeze or wind? Honestly, I doubt that it will.

There are differing "needs" or "demands" put on a tripod. If all it needs to do is to hold the camera, aimed at a spot, then any tripod that's tall enough will work. The thing with screw-lock legs is that they're a bit slower than flip-locks. And unless the screw locks are 'self-locking" or "non-reversing", so you do not need to hold on to one section while locking or unlocking the above or below section, they are a regal PITA. Older tripods often had screw locks that required the user to hold both sections, in order to tighten or loosen each lock...and OMG, what a ginormous pain that was!!!

I dunno...I think something proven, like a Manfrotto what is it, the X055 leg set, or the Adorama 3-section carbon-fiber (cheap!) tripods are probably more where you ought to put your money if you expect the tripod to be both stable, easy to use, and relatively fast in operation. I myself refuse to use a 4-section tripod, and actually prefer a TWO-section 'pod, but I do also own one of the Adorama three-section pods. The 5-section pod is designed mostly to be SHORT when collapsed, and if that's a primary consideration, then the Dolica might be okay for you.

There are three main qualities in a tripod:

Light
Cheap
Sturdy

You may choose two of those.

I don't have that tripod, but I do have a Dolica Proline. I like the brand, I think it is sturdy and well constructed for its price-point. However, whether or not its "good" depends on how you want to use it and what is important. It will hold 15 lbs according to the website, so that will hold your gear. The question of will it stand up to wind is valid although I don't think most tripods in the lightweight/travel category will stand up to much wind. If you are looking to carry it on a hike, then size and weight are the most important and make this a good choice... if you can afford more length and weight, then maybe look at the Proline as an alternative.

I went through four tripods that were all in the $75-$100 range before I finely got fed up and threw down some real cash for a “decent” tripod. A Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 carbon fiber pod with a ball head. It is lighter, stronger, used it as a makeshift shelter in Panama, used it to cross a flooding stream/river, and other amazing things I would never thought a tripod could do. I only wish I started with the quality tripod instead of what Best Buy had available.

I went through four tripods that were all in the $75-$100 range before I finely got fed up and threw down some real cash for a “decent” tripod. A Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 carbon fiber pod with a ball head. It is lighter, stronger, used it as a makeshift shelter in Panama, used it to cross a flooding stream/river, and other amazing things I would never thought a tripod could do. I only wish I started with the quality tripod instead of what Best Buy had available.
Yeah, I already bought one that was a bit of money (although not expensive either,but it wasn't cheap!) . I LOVE the ball head. The one i have is a manfroto but I got it from best buy and it will rock in the wind/lower legs will bend if leaned on a little,and is pretty light! I like that it has clips to secure the leg extensions. N screws on legs. It has a cool handle with a rolling ball thing that I use to tighten the tripod position or loosen if i want to move my camera around. I want something sturdy. I won't mind a little weight as long as its not terribly heavy. Lightweight and cheap is not my priority. Being Sturdy is, and ease of usability liek having a ball head, quick release /locking of legs,etc.. . Also I'd like for it to be not only tall enough when fully extended,but be able to put the camera low to the ground if desired.
Having a bag to carry it in,would also be nice ;-) Oh and I don't know if the nicer/expensive ones all come this way. but the one i have has a removable section on top so i can screw the camera on first,then quickly pop camera onto tripod. Instead of trying to screw camera directly on tripod,like how my super cheapo tripod is.

The issue I see with the Dolica is that it's 12.5 inches collapsed, and 57 inches at maximum height--by way of 5-section legs. FIVE leg sections...man, that's like 15 joints if my math is correct, when all three legs are extended to their full height...I think it will probably hold the camera up, yes. But will it hold the camera rock-steady for a 30-second exposure? Or in some breeze or wind? Honestly, I doubt that it will.

There are differing "needs" or "demands" put on a tripod. If all it needs to do is to hold the camera, aimed at a spot, then any tripod that's tall enough will work. The thing with screw-lock legs is that they're a bit slower than flip-locks. And unless the screw locks are 'self-locking" or "non-reversing", so you do not need to hold on to one section while locking or unlocking the above or below section, they are a regal PITA. Older tripods often had screw locks that required the user to hold both sections, in order to tighten or loosen each lock...and OMG, what a ginormous pain that was!!!

I dunno...I think something proven, like a Manfrotto what is it, the X055 leg set, or the Adorama 3-section carbon-fiber (cheap!) tripods are probably more where you ought to put your money if you expect the tripod to be both stable, easy to use, and relatively fast in operation. I myself refuse to use a 4-section tripod, and actually prefer a TWO-section 'pod, but I do also own one of the Adorama three-section pods. The 5-section pod is designed mostly to be SHORT when collapsed, and if that's a primary consideration, then the Dolica might be okay for you.

I wonder. I know a guy who does super long exposures and has used some pretty crappy tripods. He said he's done it in 30-40MPH winds in horrible conditions with zero issue, and this guy is... well... he's astonishingly brilliant and has some of the most stunning photos I've ever seen. I've never tested his theory because I have a big manfrotto beast, but... it makes me wonder ...

First thing to consider...do you need it to be compact for traveling, backpacking, or is a beastly 2-3 leg section ok?

I'll put in a plug for Vanguard tripods. Good quality, sturdy and pretty nice for the price. Yes, I'm biased as I own one. Caveat: I have no experience with expensive high-end tripods, but I'm pretty happy with mine.

Using a remote shutter release and waiting for lulls in the wind if there's a lot of it will usually give you just as good of results as buying a 4x more expensive tripod IMO.

If you don't already use remote shutter options, look into that first, or at least at the same time as you look into nicer tripods.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back