Is this a recipe for disaster??

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope I am putting this in the right spot. I can't really think of where else to put it...anyways...

Quite a while ago, I posted some boudoir photos a friend let me try of her, and I did not receive a positive response on here about them. The majority said that my model looked tense, and the time limited circumstances "showed on her face"

Well, I have several friends that have voulenteered to let me practice on them, including a repeate with the girls session that I botched.

After hearing them "half joke" about us having a slumber party and do pedicures, I was thinking that it might be fun to split a super big and nice hotel room for a day, and just have a "girls day/night" and maybe set up the photos and just do them all at once.

On the one hand, everyone would have a great time, and hopefully that would translate into the photos.

On the other- would people be more neveous having this done in a group?

Would it be "too much too fast" since I wouldnt gain the knlowdage of each shoot one at a time so I could apply my new skills the next time???

What do you guys think?

Sounds like fun to me,where's my invite? J/K, why not? Just have fun, that's my motto. I really can't imagine myself ever having this kind of opportunity, take advantage of it.

Do it - it will open up a world of opportunities, and you'll have fun doing it.

Learning group shots, singles, although ... be careful things don't get out of hand if the drink flows! Uh oh!

Do it - it will open up a world of opportunities, and you'll have fun doing it.

Learning group shots, singles, although ... be careful things don't get out of hand if the drink flows! Uh oh!
Models would be under strict guidelines to not get past "buzz status" until their shots were through. ;-)

It might be fun, but I'm not sure it will translate into great images of the type you have in mind. My experience with this genre is very limited, however I think it might well be a case of 'too many cooks spoiling the broth' in that with all of their friends it might be hard for the 'on deck' model to be totally serious. I can also see where there might be some additional self-consciousness when their friends are looking.

It might be fun, but I'm not sure it will translate into great images of the type you have in mind. My experience with this genre is very limited, however I think it might well be a case of 'too many cooks spoiling the broth' in that with all of their friends it might be hard for the 'on deck' model to be totally serious. I can also see where there might be some additional self-consciousness when their friends are looking.

I do worry about that. I should have elaborated my plan, in my head we would hopefully be able to get a 2 bedroom suite so that the actual photos were private. Do you think that would solve the potential issue? Or would the issue radiate throught closed doors?

I do worry about that. I should have elaborated my plan, in my head we would hopefully be able to get a 2 bedroom suite so that the actual photos were private. Do you think that would solve the potential issue? Or would the issue radiate throught closed doors?
Ovvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to the ladies!

So I guess John's out of the conversation... lol I would think it might be fun if they were all receptive to the idea to do a slumber party/pedicure party and do some boudoir style shots in slumber party attire rather than what they might wear for more intimate photos. Maybe you could decide on some sort of informal guidelines on what you'd all agree on wearing, not necessarily pj's and fuzzy slippers! but something not too revealing - whatever you all feel comfortable with.

Then if you got some practice shots and can get a handle on whatever didn't turn out so well with your earlier attempts, at some point maybe offer to do follow up shoots that would be individual sessions where they could each do whatever type photos (poses, attire etc.) they want.

But what do I know, I'm an old fart and my friends are a bunch of smart a**es so it wouldn't be happening, no one could be serious about doing something like this and behave long enough for me to get a decent photo anyway! not that I want to... If you give it a try, I'd keep it more fun than worrying too much about getting photos and if you get in some practice shots that might be all that would be realistic. But of course I don't know your friends to know what they'd think of this idea.

Having attended a "boudoir party" I can tell you that the atmosphere was fun and relaxed. Yes, the first few shots felt a little awkward but everyone else was a little nervous so we helped each other out, knowing it would be our turn next and also knowing how everyone else was feeling. We helped each other with make up and poses and made each other laugh to ease the tension.

I say go for it! :)

No I'm not sharing pictures :greenpbl:

Having attended a "boudoir party" I can tell you that the atmosphere was fun and relaxed. Yes, the first few shots felt a little awkward but everyone else was a little nervous so we helped each other out, knowing it would be our turn next and also knowing how everyone else was feeling. We helped each other with make up and poses and made each other laugh to ease the tension.

HEY!!!! you can't do that!!!

wanna see wanna see wanna see :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I shot a two-woman, one-man boudoir session late last year in just a regular hotel room...the space was very challenging to work in. I was able to set up two lights and stands, and a small softbox or umbrella and a grid-equipped reflector, but the physical limitations of the room and furnishings were annoying to have to work around. Still, managed to make some nice images. A suite would be soooo much easier to work with, just based on room/distance/space. One of the bigger issues was actually ceiling height...I was limited to only small modifiers, which is okay, since the distances were not very long. And smaller modifiers are what I actually tend to prefer. I like more directionality, so I have a lot of 30,32 inch umbrellas of various types, and a pair of 24x24 softboxes, which were a pretty good size for the low ceiling.

The thing is, they're awful pictures. I am not talking about me, because I don't actually cringe when I see some of them (others do make me cringe, though!) The pictures themselves are awful. First, it was many years ago so digital cameras were not what they are now. Plus, I was the only person who had any experience with a camera, and NONE of my experience was with setting up a photo shoot indoors, so what the hell did I know? So the pictures are noisy, often out of focus, harshly lit or not lit enough... Really, they're terrible pictures! :confused:

But the point is, we had fun and having other "models" there did help ease the tension. With better equipment, someone more prepared to do a boudoir shoot, and only one photographer instead of everying trying to get shots, I think a boudoir party is a great idea.

HEY!!!! you can't do that!!!

wanna see wanna see wanna see :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I agree! Pics or it didn't happen!

Most reactions

Back