Is this Crooked?

doziergraphic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My biggest problem is shooting crooked - then not seeing it! But I'm working on it. So, is THIS shot crooked?

pineville_path.jpg

The steps seem to be mostly level. I think the trees are leaning somewhat, but there is not much to do about that.

The steps seem to be mostly level. I think the trees are leaning somewhat, but there is not much to do about that.

Yeah - the steps look straight to me too, but everything else (even the path) is leaning to the left.

My first thought was, "Are you stupid... of course its crooked."

But then I looked at it a little futher.... the steps, both in the foreground and the background are straight.

I dont know if you did it on purpose or not... but its a great optical illusion. Your picture is straight, your horizon is level... its a great shot, but I can't help but tilt my head a little. :thumbup:

My biggest problem is shooting crooked - then not seeing it! But I'm working on it. So, is THIS shot crooked?

pineville_path.jpg

there is no clear horizon or expectedly level object so to answer your question.... you tell us.

p!nK

Since most people wouldnt build crooked stone steps, I would say that following the horizonal lines of the steps makes this correct.

One of the experiences I have from my many years of hiking, is not to count on the trees growing straight, especially on mountain and hillsides.

Right on. Thanks. Like I said, since a couple of posts here pointed out my crooked shots, I've been second-guessing all my stuff. I looked at this til I was cross-eyed. A good lesson for me to pay more attention to the subject matter when I'm shooting and would have known if the trees were that way or not - or if it was my lens, which I don't think it was.

Thanks again!

If you have photoshop there is a great tool called smart lines, which you drag out from the ruler. (Not being sarcastic at all, some people just don't know)

Really the easiest way to test it.

One of the experiences I have from my many years of hiking, is not to count on the trees growing straight, especially on mountain and hillsides.

...and from my experiences, stone steps on a dirt path can't be counted on for being straight either. :p

... but I think you can count SOME more on man-made things than on wind-swept trees on a hillside... so taking those steps as a reference isn't the wrongest thing to do, after all, I say ;) .

If the left side is south and right side is north and you're facing west, then the trees are probably leaning south(left) towards the summer sun. I would say its level, but really you could alter it and people would still wonder.

This thread blew my mind. How did you get those trees to lean like that for the shot?

There are no reliable references in the photo to determine: 'level'.

Your guess is better than anyone elses, because you were there and got to see more of the scene.

Most reactions

Back