Is this overkill?

Netskimmer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been finding my $60 Targus tripod lacking, it really does a poor job holding my camera steady with my 500mm lens on it so I think its time to get a serious tripod. I did a forum search and Manfrotto seems to be the favorite for most here but I have also seen Giottos and Silk mentioned quite a bit. How do these tripods compare?

This is the setup I was contemplating from Manfrotto:

Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod - Black - 055 Series
I have no need for carbon fiber, while I may find myself trekking in nature from time to time I don't mind a little extra weight.

Manfrotto Hydrostatic Ball Head w/RC2 Rapid Connect Plate (200PL-14) - Hydrostatic
Is this head too much? Not enough? My priorities are stability, price, weight. I'm mostly interested in nature, sports (horse shows) and macro photography but portraits aren't out of the question. The biggest/heaviest lenses that would likely be used would be the Cambron or a 70-200 f2.8 (it could happen:drool:)

This setup is on the high side for me but if this is what I need to spend to get the job done so be it, though spending less is always good.

Tripod is okay, but you might want to consider this head: Manfrotto Hydrostatic Ball Head with RC0 Rapid Connect Plate (030-14) - Hydrostatic

I would recommend this head because it has spirit levels on the head making it easier to level if that is, or will be come, an issue. I have one of its predecessors with a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 tripod (carbon fibre) and I just love them both. Regardless, your insight about having a quick release head is very good - would not have a head without one.

I would recommend that you think seriously about a carbon fibre tripod as a tripod is usually one of those pieces of equipment that you will have for life and it is worth spending a bit more to get one that will last you for along time. Prior to the setup I have now, I had a Manfrotto aluminum tripod and while it wasn't that heavy, I certainly would not have wanted to carry it around on a backpacking trip. Also, if you ever wanted to carry it on a plane, weight is a very definite consideration...yes the carbon fibre ones cost a bit more, but it is almost a "forever" acquisition.

I cannot comment on either the Giottos or the Slik varieties, because I have no experience with them, but I know a lot of the pros use Giottos. Maybe someone who has some experience with them will add their thoughts.

My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thanks for the response WesternGuy, does that head have any other advantages other than the level? I didn't really see any in the description and though a level would be nice I don't see spending an extra $50 for it. A agree completely about the quick-release, I can't imagine buying a head that doesn't have one.
As for carbon fiber, something like this?
Manfrotto 190CX Carbon Fiber Tripod - 3 Section - 190 Series
It's $100 more and is shorter that the 055XPROB but it is a few pounds lighter, not sure its worth the trade off's.

I have a Giottos 9371B tripod.. and love it. It is aluminum and so is heavier than the CF counterparts. MTL 92/82 Professional Tripods One thing I love about the Giottos is the way they allow you to reposition the center column for Macro or copywork use... it rocks!

Their ballheads are good also.. and have some nice features, depending on what you want to spend. MH-3 Professional Heads

I use a Giottos monopod also.. excellent quality!

EDIT: some of the Slik stuff is ok.. have used some in the past. My girlfriend bought me one of their "professional" model tripods for a gift.. and I am going to Ebay it. The head allows creep badly when in portrait format... really frustrating. The legs aren't bad, and I have considered keeping the legs and putting a Giottos head on them.. but probably wont. :) My girlfriend has a little Slik Sprint Pro that she carries backpacking.... does the job, but is really too light for a DSLR.

Last edited:
I don't know much about tripods but I bought this Giottos (came with head) and love it. Set was ~ $200

Body

Head

Last edited by a moderator:
Giottos and Silk mentioned quite a bit. How do these tripods compare?
Along with Manfrotto, the 3 are middle quality tripods. If you want to look at top quality, check out Gitzo tripods.

Of the 3 it's is my opinion that Giottos gives the best value, followed by Manfrotto, then Slik

I use Giottos, but I do have a couple of Manfrotto heads.

I use this Vanguard Alta Pro 263 AT Aluminum Alloy Tripod ALTA PRO 263AT Its pretty much the same thing as the manfrotto but doesn't go quite as high. I am 6ft and have yet to need it to go higher (or even used its max height for that matter ). It has the same load capacity. Its just a hair shorter when folded and its over 1lb lighter. Oh yeah, and its almost $100 less.

Also, I almost forgot to add, that a dSLR and 500mm lens on a Targus tripod is probably the dumbest thing you could do. :lol: ( just busting your chops )

This is the tripod I use Amazon.com: Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Aluminum Pro Tripod: Camera & Photo It's $100 LESS and I love it! I don't know if it would suit your needs, but it definitely works for mine and I don't see much of a difference between this and the one you posted.

Thanks for the link, it would probably do a great job for what I need but it's only about $22 less if you go by Amazon (which I most likely will). It's a bit lighter but it is also shorter and has a lower max weight capacity. I doubt I'll be putting more than 11lbs of crap on the thing so that's not a big deal but I want a nice, tall tripod so I would probably spend the extra cash.

I like all the angle configurations they show on the Giotto web site, they look like they would be good for macro photography. They look like there is no extra adapters needed and that it is possible due to the ability to invert the center column. Can the Manfrottos do this?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon always seems to have lower prices than the brand sites

I like all the angle configurations they show on the Giotto web site, they look like they would be good for macro photography. They look like there is no extra adapters needed and that it is possible due to the ability to invert the center column.

Very stable too.. I have had my D7000 with macro lens, a flash bracket and an SB-900 with a diffuser attached, all on the end of the center column all of the way out from the head at a 90 degree angle.. and it was stable and solid (with careful leg placement of course!) :)

There's no such thing as overkill! It will just be that much longer before you need to upgrade, if you have to at all.

I'm leaning towards Giotto at this point, I took a look at Gitzo and while it's high for my price range, the GT2331 looks pretty good I just think it would be more than I need.

I'm leaning towards Giotto at this point, I took a look at Gitzo and while it's high for my price range, the GT2331 looks pretty good I just think it would be more than I need.

Here is a pic of mine.. my girlfriend took it with her little point and shoot, so it isn't great, but you get the idea.... (ignore the kitty butt in the background!) :)

giottos.jpg

Most reactions

Back