issues with my HDRs

nightshack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,

first post so please bare with me if i get anything wrong. I've just really started to get into HDR as i like the effects that you can get with the style and I've got a copy of photomatix and topaz adjust on my mac along with LR3 and CS5. I'm struggling with CA on the majority of my photos and was hoping for some tips. I've found numerous guides on the web which just have not worked well enough when trying to reduce it. What I've been doing is duplicating the layer and then adding a caussian blur effect (approx 15 pixels) which seems to work but it still creates "edging" where the CA initially was, degrading the final image. Below is an example of one I've attempted to remove CA. Notice on the edges of the plough, particularly on the far right and in the small gaps in between

can you post a picture without your Gaussian blur? If its chromatic aberration I have a method that really works and is very very simple. I would need to see your photo before the blur to see what your talking about.

sure,

i'll post it tonight when i get in from work so you can see.

thank you.

Last edited:
Have you tried using the CA function within "bridge" ?

Are you doing it properly?
I didn't quite understand what you're saying, but what i understood is that what you're basically doing is taking one photo and faking an HDR effect on it. So basically what I'm asking you is..
Are you using aperture priority and taking three photos at 3 different exposures? (-2,0,+2)

give us the originals and see what others can do with them. maybe it is how you are taking the originals.

Yeh I'm taking 3 RAW shots, -2 0 +2 ev using the bracket option on my DSLR in Aperture priority mode, and then in Bridge I edit a chosen photo and once I'm happy with it, copy the settings and then paste them on the other 2 photos so that they are exactly the same, and then use the "merge to PS HDR" function in bridge.

Once it merges I save a 32-bit PSD file to save a bit of time and then convert from a 32-bit image down to a 16-bit and then do the tone mapping in there. If I want to further the effect or work solely from Topaz Adjust I'd just import the single 16-bit image I'd created without tone mapping too much.

I'll see if i can get the RAWs up tonight somewhere.

CHeck out using the CA correction function with your raw files before merging, and by the way you don't have to cut and paste changes you can make the changes on one image and then use the scyn function to apply to as many others as you wish. Fast and easy.

I probably shouldnt say this before looking at your orignal 3 images but from the looks of your final image Id say you have a lot more to worry about than a bit of CA. I dont approve of the way you made your files available. We must supply our email addresses to a company that says it will be forwarding those addresses to a marketing company. No thanks.

I probably shouldnt say this before looking at your orignal 3 images but from the looks of your final image Id say you have a lot more to worry about than a bit of CA. I dont approve of the way you made your files available. We must supply our email addresses to a company that says it will be forwarding those addresses to a marketing company. No thanks.

What? Has someone reported this yet?

As far as Im concerned Id just as soon delete this thread. Unless the OP can find a more trustworthy way to have us download the files its a bit pointless.

apologies, i dont have access to any decent online storage so im forced to use what i can find. I've removed the links and removed the files from the site until i can find an alternative source to use to host them.

UPDATE: Have access to MSN skydrive storage area, so i'll dump them there and share a link out.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back