It's been a while since I've had my a** ripped a new one...

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I did this shoot before I left for tour.

Rip 'em up! (And I have a feeling there's a lot of ripping to be had... :lol: )

KTHANXBYYYYEEEEE! :biggrin:

EDIT: Re-uploaded -- I changed the watermarks before posting them elsewhere, deleted the old set on Flickr, and forgot to fix the post here. :lol:

6283544200_2310cd4b66_z.jpg

6283029377_d8138c66cb_z.jpg

6283542200_d29eeeab41_z.jpg

6283545314_37b7ae0725_z.jpg

6283026269_ac3cb0cb57_z.jpg

Last edited:
My turn!

She's too close to the background, the shadow is overly pronounced and distracting. Other than that shadow, #3, although not in portrait aspect is stunning!

I like! I think the harsh lighting adds to the whole "streetwalker" aspect.... although your model is almost too cute to carry it off! :) Love number #3.. whoa.. those eyes!

Sweet... Time for you to start shooting with an umbrella emily. It greatly soften that shadow. I dig these shots though.

Hey those are good photos. You ought to do weddings and stuff! Maybe set up a web site and start shooting pi'tures for money!

I think the hard shadow and crisp,direct light, BOTH, were used to good effect. Excellent placement of the shadow in all of them. Hard light is not bad--it can even be used as a compositional device, as you have shown. Cute model, nice clothes, good make-up.

I agree with Derrel, the hard light fits the subject/theme and so I don't mind the hard shadow. The light placement & posing are such that the hard light isn't hurting the subject, so well done there.

If anything, I think the lighting is too good for the theme of the shot (depends on your idea of what the theme was, of course). To me, it's kind of 'street walker glam'. When I think of street walker, graffiti in an alley etc...I think of a darker image. Another way of saying what I mean, would be to say that I think the concrete is too bright...there is just too much light being put into the scene. They way I'm envisioning the shot, would be to constrain the light a lot more, so that it most just lights up the model, and falls off into darkness before the edges of the frame. To that end, I'd probably like the light to be strongest around her face, and have it starting to drop off right away. This would help to focus the viewer's attention on her face. As it is, there is a lot of skin (arms & legs) that do compete with the face for attention.

I like these and I will echo what the others have said. #3 is a real winner. Terrific shot.

Overall, I like them; I agree that the lighting and hard shadows seem to work here, given the model and surroundings. The only thing I'd add to what has already been said is that I find the placement of your watermark "banner" somewhat distracting in #3...because it's right in line with her eyes, I find MY eyes constantly moving over to the text instead of her face.

I like the make up and I love the poses... I guess I don't get the hard light I understand it can have artistic value but should it still look natural, like the sun is producing the hard light? I love 3, that's my favorite but also the only one I don't see a point for the shadow on. The others I would just think a higher light source and maybe a tad less shadow would help the images the most. That being said they're still some of my favorite portraits I've seen, the model and the background really work well for the punk image. Thanks for posting!

Love #3!

I too like the hard shadows, but I think they would fair a bit better if she were two steps away from the wall. Very crisp, clean looking photos with a cute model... very nice!

Thanks for sharing.

I like the hard shadows! You see a lot of this today with model shoots. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt... i think it works here!

I probably went a bit overboard...but here is sort of what I was envisioning.

erose.jpg

My turn!

She's too close to the background, the shadow is overly pronounced and distracting. Other than that shadow, #3, although not in portrait aspect is stunning!

I like! I think the harsh lighting adds to the whole "streetwalker" aspect.... although your model is almost too cute to carry it off! :) Love number #3.. whoa.. those eyes!

To both of you: Thanks for your feedback! :sillysmi:

Sweet... Time for you to start shooting with an umbrella emily. It greatly soften that shadow. I dig these shots though.

I have an umbrella :lol: It was an intentional decision *not* to use it. After reading through all the feed back, some like that decision... others don't. I expected as much :lol: ACTUALLY I expected a lot *more* NOT to like it, haha.

Also digging number 3.

Hey those are good photos. You ought to do weddings and stuff! Maybe set up a web site and start shooting pi'tures for money!

I think the hard shadow and crisp,direct light, BOTH, were used to good effect. Excellent placement of the shadow in all of them. Hard light is not bad--it can even be used as a compositional device, as you have shown. Cute model, nice clothes, good make-up.

Thanks for your feedback :sillysmi:

I agree with Derrel, the hard light fits the subject/theme and so I don't mind the hard shadow. The light placement & posing are such that the hard light isn't hurting the subject, so well done there.

If anything, I think the lighting is too good for the theme of the shot (depends on your idea of what the theme was, of course). To me, it's kind of 'street walker glam'. When I think of street walker, graffiti in an alley etc...I think of a darker image. Another way of saying what I mean, would be to say that I think the concrete is too bright...there is just too much light being put into the scene. They way I'm envisioning the shot, would be to constrain the light a lot more, so that it most just lights up the model, and falls off into darkness before the edges of the frame. To that end, I'd probably like the light to be strongest around her face, and have it starting to drop off right away. This would help to focus the viewer's attention on her face. As it is, there is a lot of skin (arms & legs) that do compete with the face for attention.

Big Mike said:

erose.jpg

Thanks for your feedback! Yeah, I definitely see what you mean. The issue is that my only options at the time for light modifiers were and umbrella or... no... umbrella. :lol:

THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE... but... that day we were also SUPER short on time... so while I was thinking as best as I could on my toes about the lighting and what not, I was admittedly only thinking about getting the lighting right on *her* and didn't really consider what it would look like had I restricted the light *just* to her. I like that suggestion though and I think it would have been a better approach.

If I'm using a strobe, what kind of light modifier would I want to restrict the light like that? A snoot? Or would that drop off too quickly?

I like these and I will echo what the others have said. #3 is a real winner. Terrific shot.

Thank you! :sillysmi:

Overall, I like them; I agree that the lighting and hard shadows seem to work here, given the model and surroundings. The only thing I'd add to what has already been said is that I find the placement of your watermark "banner" somewhat distracting in #3...because it's right in line with her eyes, I find MY eyes constantly moving over to the text instead of her face.

Yeah I was thinking about all that last night while I was laying awake in bed not able to fall asleep :lol: I'm doing to re-do all the WM to what I did for the last model that I shot. They're not as "interactive" with the shot. They're just there in the corner. Wa-waaaa. :lol:

Thanks for your feedback. :sillysmi:

I like the make up and I love the poses... I guess I don't get the hard light I understand it can have artistic value but should it still look natural, like the sun is producing the hard light? I love 3, that's my favorite but also the only one I don't see a point for the shadow on. The others I would just think a higher light source and maybe a tad less shadow would help the images the most. That being said they're still some of my favorite portraits I've seen, the model and the background really work well for the punk image. Thanks for posting!

Love #3!

I too like the hard shadows, but I think they would fair a bit better if she were two steps away from the wall. Very crisp, clean looking photos with a cute model... very nice!

Thanks for sharing.

I like the hard shadows! You see a lot of this today with model shoots. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt... i think it works here!

Thanks for your feedback :sillysmi:

erose.jpg

I like this. It almost looks like she's caught in a headlight. If she had a more shocked or scared look on her face I could imagine that a police car just pulled up into the alley and she's about to be arrested.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back