I've been here a while and still don't get it.

zombiesniper

Furtographer Extraordinaire!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorbaldwin.space
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Why do people feel the need to start argumentative threads such as "X type of sensor is better for Y photography" or "This kind of camera can't shoot X".

1. It's narrow minded and shows that the OP needs to learn more.
Do various sensor sized have certain benefits? Yes. Does that mean they are the best at a form of photography? NO!! They may have one attribute that leads itself to a particular form but that in itself won't make it the best.

2. It also shows that the OP usually only started a thread for a fight and not a civil discussion. Look back at all of the VERY defensive OP's in these threads.

3. If your mind is made up and you don't want others opinions or facts that may be to the contrary. Keep the though in your head and be happy.

It just seems to me some people can't be happy without a fight. Just don't get it.

I always insist the best bit of kit is that which you currently have with you:):)

As for arguments, it's the internet. Never take it too seriously. It's like TV, if it hacks you off that much, turn it off.

Some people are just that way argue for the sake of arguing. Life is too short to worry over it. When I see a thread, (here or any of the other forums I visit), headed down that path, I just do a virtual walk away. Never open that thread again. End of problem, mine anyway, can't fix theirs.

My opinion (feel free to disagree with me):

I’ve seen a lot of similarities between those types of threads and what happens (or at least happened for a while) in the m43 community. It seems like they’re started as a justification for their own equipment purchases and/or needs, as well as a need to prove it publicly to the world. (I don’t mean any offense to the m43 community; I am a m43 user myself.) I am excluding the threads that truly are a technical discussion.

In the m43 community, for the longest time people got hung up on sensor size. You couldn’t go to any comment section of any m43 article or any m43 forums without people saying things like:
  • It’s not the size of the sensor, it’s what you can do with it,
  • m43 is cheaper/smaller/lighter,
  • Look! My photos using m43 look as good as full frame!
  • Look! I have bokeh, too!
  • Etc.
Granted, some of those threads are started because someone in the FF community makes comments against the m43 community.

Anyways, some reasons might be different, or more technical, but I’m just going by what I tend to see (especially from a recent thread) from a completely unbiased and non-technical user. It may be a justification to oneself and a need to prove it publicly.

In technical discussions....... If it were truly a technical discussion without any personal involvement, I don’t understand why people get so upset (except in situations where communication breaks down). Why not provide additional information, show references, show your calculations, show your work? Try to test the theory?

I get that some people are passionate about equipment, although I don't get too hung up about brands or sensor sizes myself, but what mystifies me are the Newbies who join, post a very specific query, then never come back to see the replies and never post again.

We had one query about writing a dissertation, lots of members took the time to make valuable replies, but the OP never replied. We've had other highly specific queries about equipment or photography styles, some with screenshots of cameras for sale, some with queries about lighting or glamour photography ..... never seen again.

Is it a very esoteric way of trolling?

It's made me wary of responding to any queries from new members.

I get that some people are passionate about equipment, although I don't get too hung up about brands or sensor sizes myself, but what mystifies me are the Newbies who join, post a very specific query, then never come back to see the replies and never post again.

We had one query about writing a dissertation, lots of members took the time to make valuable replies, but the OP never replied. We've had other highly specific queries about equipment or photography styles, some with screenshots of cameras for sale, some with queries about lighting or glamour photography ..... never seen again.

Is it a very esoteric way of trolling?

It's made me wary of responding to any queries from new members.

100% agree. I run another non photography forum and if I get 'snoopers' like this and they don't respond to a request to partake, I get rid of them. Maybe not so easily done on a bigger Forum like this.

The camera is a tool, no matter if it's a bridge, APC, Full frame, medium format, etc. I personally have been very happy with my film camera so much that I rarely shoot digital for my personal stuff. I like not being able to preview the image and let the chips fall where they may. My keeper rate is way up as of late and I find the look of film very pleasing. Selling 90% of gear has been liberating to say the least. I have even cut way down on the amount of images taken using digital. I like that I hardly ever need to edit the film shots. I like to previsualize, look at the frame edges, compose, focus, and shoot. I had so much gear and the quantity did not make me a better photographer. I have a GFX50R and it doesn't make me a better photographer. I post less than 1% of the images I take, I don't need likes. I need to improve and that is my focus. Gear is a waste of my time these days. My favorite camera is the Holga, my most used is a Nikon F2 with no meter.

The camera is a tool, no matter if it's a bridge, APC, Full frame, medium format, etc. I personally have been very happy with my film camera so much that I rarely shoot digital for my personal stuff. I like not being able to preview the image and let the chips fall where they may. My keeper rate is way up as of late and I find the look of film very pleasing. Selling 90% of gear has been liberating to say the least. I have even cut way down on the amount of images taken using digital. I like that I hardly ever need to edit the film shots. I like to previsualize, look at the frame edges, compose, focus, and shoot. I had so much gear and the quantity did not make me a better photographer. I have a GFX50R and it doesn't make me a better photographer. I post less than 1% of the images I take, I don't need likes. I need to improve and that is my focus. Gear is a waste of my time these days. My favorite camera is the Holga, my most used is a Nikon F2 with no meter.
So, I know what you’re getting at and that a camera is just a tool and all, but...

GFX50R? :drool:

then never come back to see the replies and never post again
I think some people have been so used to getting replies in some manner that, if they don’t mark off getting emails when someone replies, they actually forget that they posted because they don’t check back manually. I feel like I’ve seen it a few times and in one thread I just saw today. If the question seemed honest, I try to treat it as that.

Isn’t that what this thread is??? LOL

Most reactions

Back