James

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It is not a typical headshot. I shot these using 50mm pretty wide open plus using multiple frames merged to create super shallow depth of field. I probably used 4-6 shots. This time I also used a strobe. What do you think?

p1025868420-5.jpg

p623301243-4.jpg

I did some traditional too.

p886207698-4.jpg

Shots 1 and 2: Serial Killer

I think 1 is shot a little to close. It might have worked better if you shot it from a little further away. 50 is ok focal length for portraits but isn't flattering to close. I do realise you were going for a thin dof so shooting from further back and cropping makes that more difficult

I wonder why too. Why didn't you just shoot one frame...wide open? He is on a level plane? Am I missing something?

I think you should have used a flash bracket. :mrgreen:

I wonder why too. Why didn't you just shoot one frame...wide open? He is on a level plane? Am I missing something?

Then you wont get the wider frame. Either that or more DOF.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mar...qd0AHEz4DgCA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1075&bih=428

Why not? Martin's work make these celebrities look unappealing but super interesting to me. They do look like a serial killer.

I still don't get it. These look distorted (obviously on purpose...is that what you are trying to do?)

Nice pics. I just don't get why you go through the trouble to paste together multiple shots etc. Would it not look the same if you had just shot one frame...really shallow?

edit: Ok wait I think I see. You are trying to get that distorted look? By merging the shots together?

Last edited:
#1 A little to stark.
#2 Trying to wrap my head around your choice of framing.
#3 Excellent, but I'm not a fan of tee-shirts with graphics. In this case however, it fits the style.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mar...qd0AHEz4DgCA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1075&bih=428

Why not? Martin's work make these celebrities look unappealing but super interesting to me. They do look like a serial killer.

I still don't get it. These look distorted (obviously on purpose...is that what you are trying to do?)

Nice pics. I just don't get why you go through the trouble to paste together multiple shots etc. Would it not look the same if you had just shot one frame...really shallow?

edit: Ok wait I think I see. You are trying to get that distorted look? By merging the shots together?

I shot this with 50mm at 1.8. You cant get the same thing using different focal length wide open. You have to use a larger format camera. Thats essentially what I was doing. I made the sensor bigger and lens wider.

Not feeling the first two, but i really like the third.

there's nothing good about that work of his, to me, only that he happened to get celebrities to pose for him. see also: terry richardson.

Last edited:

I shot this with 50mm at 1.8. You cant get the same thing using different focal length wide open. You have to use a larger format camera. Thats essentially what I was doing. I made the sensor bigger and lens wider.

So how many separate shots is this. Is there a tutorial you used?

Martin probably used a medium format. Pretty sure he uses continuous lighting. I used 35mm with 4-6 shots and a strobe.

Most reactions

Back