Jo Cose's 3 Golden Rules of Photography

jocose said:
So true, so true...not to embarrass anyone, but ClarinetJWD did both several times at the last meetup...tried to take pics only to discover that he left the cap on or forgot to turn it on (I've done the latter several times myself with my DSLR, but with the PowerShot, it's easier to know if it's turned on or off.

don't worry... those re the most common mentos's mistakes...

jocose said:
So true, so true...not to embarrass anyone, but ClarinetJWD did both several times at the last meetup...tried to take pics only to discover that he left the cap on or forgot to turn it on (I've done the latter several times myself with my DSLR, but with the PowerShot, it's easier to know if it's turned on or off.

I don't understand that!:confused:

If it's an SLR, how can you take shot & forget to take the cap off! :lol:

back in the days of the twin lens reflex they had to redesign the lens cap to make sure that the photographer took both off at the same time.

Law of perversion says: if you own a lens cap, it will be on at the exact second her bikini slips....

jocose said:
you wanna make something of it!? :lol:

Yeah, I do that a lot. But it's OK. The things I shoot don't usually move!

clarinetJWD said:
you wanna make something of it!? :lol:

Yeah, I do that a lot. But it's OK. The things I shoot don't usually move!

Don't worry Joe...to be fair, I admitted that I do it often as well...I'm learning from the best :)

I spent two hours taking pictures at a club once to realize I comletely forgot to put film in the damn camera.

That was funny.

jocose said:
1) Always shoot in Manual mode, or shutter or appreture priority--NEVER in auto (unless you're doing snapshots or just goofing)​

Totally agree! I banned myself from Auto and all the other presets as soon as I got a dSLR... I figured I'd get lazy and never learn. Don't think I've ever used it...

when i got my 350D i immidiatly started shooting in manual. I wanted to learn everything as soon as possible and that can only be done in manual mode IMO. I took some shots later on on auto, but it just doesnt work for me.
And i too always underexpose my pics.

every once in awhile i will switch to an auto mode, but the thing that bothers me the most is the stupid onboard flash popping up when i don't want it too... so frustrating. i promptly switch back to manual and wonder why i would even consider shooting in auto...

My rule:

Pay keen attention to your instincts; while composing, shooting and post processing.

mysteryscribe said:
under expose digital
over expose film sorry thats my rule
In my opinion it's the opposite ;-). I hate when my film is overexposed. It looks a lot less bad to me when a frame is too dark than when it is blown out and too bright. At least that's what I find when I'm shooting slides.

And on this site some guy recommends actually to tend towards overexposure with digital (as long as you're not blowing out highlights).

PS my favorite mode on my Canon camera is actually Program, which lets you turn one dial to change between equivalent combinations of shutter & aperture, and turn another dial to adjust between under- and overexposure (according to the meter, that is). Not to be confused with Full-auto mode, which for me is only useful when I'm giving my camera to someone else to take a picture, and they have no idea how to properly use it. ;-)

I agree 100% with those rules but wish it was the golden 4 rules. My 4th rules would be, always shoot in RAW. NEVER JPG. I guess I shoulkd get a medal or something, this is my first post in the off-topics area ever! :) Whoo Hooo!

One of my peronal ones: Never shoot a portrait with a wide angle lens (<50mm for 35mm film and <35mm for digital slrs). Unless you are going for the goof look.

This is tied in with:

Pick your focal length first and then move to frame. A zoom isn't made to save you a walk.

MyCameraEye said:
I agree 100% with those rules but wish it was the golden 4 rules. My 4th rules would be, always shoot in RAW. NEVER JPG. I guess I shoulkd get a medal or something, this is my first post in the off-topics area ever! :) Whoo Hooo!

Welcome to the off topics...once you enter, you'll never leave!!!!

Oh, and thanks for picking MY thread to be your first...you never forget your first, you know :lmao:

Most reactions

Back