Joel Grimes

I'm 34 and don't understand what that has to do with anything.

And yes, that photographer doesn't suck. Thanks for the link. :thumbup:

Cool link. The shot of the vball chick is hot. He has an interesting style.

I love his work. I've been following him for quite some time now.

david hill would be proud, (or would he)

Tim has some excellent photo manips. Thanks for sharing those links

Great stuff thanks for sharing! I do have a question and excuse my ignorance but are most of those image 2 seperate images merged together? Like #8...

Great stuff thanks for sharing! I do have a question and excuse my ignorance but are most of those image 2 seperate images merged together? Like #8...
I am pretty sure most of the shots by Joel are merged shots.

david hill would be proud, (or would he)

Dave Hill is probably sick of all the imitators who do the same thing, shot after shot after shot after shot. Hot, bare or gridded rim- and sidelighting on bodies sprayed with glycerine and water, then the Dave Hill Effect post processing in Photoshop...over and over and over. It's a fad that,some day in the future, will look as ridiculous as 1970's blue eye shadow or 1980's big hair or 1990's MC Hammer pants...but right now, this is the flavor of the month, and it does have a strong appeal to younger people; I think that's one of the valid comments that ViIlage Idiot added--his age of 29...this lighting style is widely practiced now by commercial and lifestyle pros whose work is widely published by magazine conglomerates that publish anywhere between three and fifty magazine titles each month. Not everybody is going to like this Dave Hill type work. But right now, we're in the middle of the Dave Hill Effect craze...who knows what the next cliche look will be...but there will be something that replaces this as the dominant style.

This style has been spawned in large part due to technological advances in portable flash and battery technology...it's EASY these days to power multiple flash units on-location...even powerful studio flash units...on YouTube I see skate punks with Vagabond batteries, umbrellas, and light stands, shooting ghetto skateboard shots with $600 d-slr's and kit lenses...commerical pros of course can afford higher-end lighting gear, but even 10 years ago, the idea of bringing studio-type flash on-location for adventure/extreme sports was outside the mainstream...but nowadays, it's never been easier, and it's popular. These two guys that V-I pointed out, well both guys have got the look down pat.

I'm 53 and I think.......................

......... what were we talking about?

Oh yeah, horse crap. Dude, you gotta lay off that $hit, man. It'll have you for lunch..... but the dreams ARE pretty awesome, aren't they?

Oh yeah, horse crap. Dude, you gotta lay off that $hit, man. It'll have you for lunch..... but the dreams ARE pretty awesome, aren't they?

I'm 29, and I just had two breakfast burritos from Sheetz.

I'm 29, and I just had two breakfast burritos from Sheetz.

Did you have the munchies?

Most reactions

Back