Jumping Back Into Photography, advice?

AliciaDarling

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been passionate for photography from a very young age, and I pushed it aside for about a year or two. I was never professionally trained, but recently I've put a lot of thought into going to school for photojournalism, considering its something Ive always wanted to do.

I wanted to post some photos I've taken in the past, in hopes of getting some constructive critism, because as I jump back into the game I will be forming my Twenty Photo Portfolio for College, mind you I have until February 2011 to complete the portfolio.

WildflowerAD.jpg

FallAD.jpg

JohnAD.jpg

SunsetAD.jpg

the first one is alittle blown out in the background all the others are really nice

I too think the first one is blown out and a bit soft, but the other three show an understanding of composition and exposure.

How much experience have you had? What gear are you working with? Do you shoot in Manual/Aperture Priority/ShutterSpeed priority or do you use the auto modes?

I ask because you mention getting back into it but it would be helpful to know what class of camera/gear you're using.
- If you're using a Point&Shoot people will direct you to focus on composition for the simple fact that you can't (generally) affect ISOs, Apertures, Shutterspeeds, etc.
- If you're using a DSLR the lenses you have available can lead suggestions
- If you're familiar with lighting and have access to an offcamera flash, strobes, etc people would know how to better serve you by providing directed suggestions.

Until then I'll list generic suggestions:

1) Read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284105490&sr=8-1"]Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition[/ame] by Bryan Peterson
2) Read [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Eye-Composition-Design-Digital/dp/0240809343/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284105579&sr=1-1"]The Photographer's Eye[/ame] by Michael Freeman
3) Shoot in Manual
4) Lighting 101
5) Takes lots of pictures! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back