Just Another Water Fall

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, after much thought, went back to square one, (the raw image of this file). I haven't been happy with the final product, so decided a change was in order. Changed the whole work flow and here I am. Know there are improvements yet to be made, but any comments, - good or bad????
IMGP3455 sm.jpg

I like it. The shutter speed is about right for my taste as there is still some detail in the water. I might even go a tad faster. As far as composition it might be helped by removing some of the branches in front but thats not always possible.

Sister falls to this the first one. Again any comments or criticism.

IMGP3442 sm.jpg

Nice photos. In the editing software was there an adjustment called vibrance and did you use it?

Joe

I like it. The shutter speed is about right for my taste as there is still some detail in the water. I might even go a tad faster. As far as composition it might be helped by removing some of the branches in front but thats not always possible.

Interesting note on the branches in #1. Directly under those branches is a steep slope leading to the entrance of a LARGE culvert that goes under the highway, and dumps out on the other side further down the mountain. Both falls are normally dry unless it's just rained so it's slippery around them. I had already cleared as much as I could easily reach, and was trying to pull the ones on the left aside when I slipped. Fortunately those little branches were stronger then they looked as they kept me from going down the drain, "literally". Decided they were an important detail that should remain.

Nice photos. In the editing software was there an adjustment called vibrance and did you use it?

Joe

Thanks Joe, that means a lot coming from you. Pentax Utility 5, in addition to the same tone controls as the camera, also has controls for multiple point WB adjustment, saturation, contrast, highlight, shadow, etc.etc. most of the adjusting was done there prior to conversion to a TIFF. When I brought the TIFF into PSP it was pretty much done. PSP has a vibrancy adjustment but I didn't use it. About the only thing done in PSP was use curves for adding a little more contrast, highlight sharpening, cropping , resizing and saving as JPEG.

Joe

Thanks Joe, that means a lot coming from you. Pentax Utility 5, in addition to the same tone controls as the camera, also has controls for multiple point WB adjustment, saturation, contrast, highlight, shadow, etc.etc. most of the adjusting was done there prior to conversion to a TIFF. When I brought the TIFF into PSP it was pretty much done. PSP has a vibrancy adjustment but I didn't use it. About the only thing done in PSP was use curves for adding a little more contrast, highlight sharpening, cropping , resizing and saving as JPEG.

Got it. I'm seeing higher than expected saturation and suspected vibrance which has become a popular addition to many editing programs. I'd consider less saturation and, at least in the first photo, a general burn down of all the edges and corners (everything that frames the waterfall).

Joe

general burn down of all the edges and corners (everything that frames the waterfall).

The two falls are about a 100 yards apart, both were short shortly after a heavy rain. Everything was still wet and the light was perfect, so the colors were very vivid in real life. #2 was shot first, and by the time I got set up to shoot #1 the sun was coming through the trees. I previously tried a DOF blur and a vignette, neither of which worked very well. I tried your suggestion of burning in the surrounding area on #1, is this any better?

IMGP3455 sm1.jpg

I'd make the edge of the burn less obvious by extending it further in and feathering it less abruptly. It's a photo of the water so push the emphasis there.

Joe

I'd make the edge of the burn less obvious by extending it further in and feathering it less abruptly.

LOL, this is why I shouldn't do things that require concentration on an evening "after" babysitting the granddaughter for the day. Didn't realize this till the next morning. I've already corrected the final print that I sent for printing.

Most reactions

Back