Just cant get it going...

tyrsmkr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im getting really discouraged with my new found hobby. I cant seem to take the photos that I see in my mind. I love the abstract stuff, and some of the stuff I see around here is just amazing. I never thought it was easy, but I didn't know it would be so hard either.

I just don't know where to start. :grumpy: Maybe I don't have an eye for these things?

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

With any new hobby you shouldn't go into it expecting professional results..I'm not in anyway bashing your photos, as you seem to have a decent grasp on exposure and at least focusing your pictures. However, maybe instead of going out and trying to capture really artsy and professional abstract shots, lay down the basics and get a good firm hold on the basics of photography. Once you know how to use your camera in and out, new ideas of how to alter the way you take a photograph to match the ideas you have in your head.

In short, just practice, I know it sounds cliche and boring...But just take as many pictures as it takes to lay down the basics and then jump into trying to capture the pictures you want.

The WB on the first one was on cloudy IIRC. I just got carried away with the effects in gimp :lol:

AduNeButt, thats good advice. Its just a little frustrating is all. As far as point and shoot, my results aren't terrible (but not pro by any stretch) but there needs to be improvement

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

first off there are 2 things I would recomend;

1) get a good book on the bascis of both exposure and composition - that should help you get some basic ground rules which you can then break once you understand and repeat them in thefield. A good exposure book is Understanding Expsure by Bryan Peterson - for composition I can't recomend one - sorry I need on too ;)

2) Focus on subject or theme - you will find that if you focus your interests and threads on a particular theme that you will be able to get more direct comments and thus be able to improve in that area - for example were you focusing on the wildlife I would say that you need to get down lower for the second shot - a lower angle provides a more interesting view as its an angle that the passer by does not usually see - thus the photo is more interesting to view

3) Trying to do it all at once is not easy as different situations call for different skills and at the start your going to (most likley) get things wrong when you encounter new situations and subjects. This is perfectly normal and is just a reflection of inexperience - give it time and you will be able to shoot in a wider variety of situations and get results that you want (but also be able to undestand what results are possible as well)

Overread, thanks for the advice. I've heard that book's name get passed around here before, im going to order it here in a bit.

As frustrating as it is, it must be fun because its all ive done on my days off of work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back