Just packed the camera bag....

Yeah alot of it has already been mentioned. Be polite to everybody you see. If you can speak French (real french) you won't have any issues, you will have a hard time asking for directions if you speak broken french, they are not too kean on people that don't speak their language especially in Paris. As for London and Munich. Enjoy and keep an eye out for everything. Don't stop twice for the same photo, you'll be the first target if you're standing still.

jesus, really? because you wont get 'jumped' in America?

ever taken your camera to ANY major city in the US? because there's probably more "groups of people just waiting on the corner for someone like yourself to jump". :rollseyes

have fun on your trip! i'm jealous. i hope to get to Italy next year.

If you can speak French (real french) you won't have any issues, you will have a hard time asking for directions if you speak broken french, they are not too kean on people that don't speak their language especially in Paris.

I've been to France 4 times and I've personally found this to be a myth. Paris is one of my favorite cities - most people speak English and a lot are willing to help out as long as you are polite. It is however a big city, so the same as New York, the locals are busy and there's probably more than a few cabbies looking to scam a wealthy-looking tourist.

Have fun!
Scott

I've been to Paris twice and had no issues with language. I'm perfectly bilingual, however when I speak English to people, they were all very accomodating.

I'm always blown away by the US hate towards the French. Sure, there are arrogant SOBs in Paris, but there are arrogant SOBs in LA, in Toronto, in Bejing,... once someone mentions France, it's always amusing to see the reaction here.

And the travel warnings apply anywhere, not just because it is in Europe. Fall asleep anywhere and your stuff will get jacked. Be careful no matter where you are. I don't flash my camera in any city I am in, even my own. I own a backpack with zippers that are on my back, not on the outside. No way to get in without taking the bag off. The only place I've ever had something pickpocketed was in North Carolina of all places.

a lot are willing to help out as long as you are polite.

I think that might be the source of rudeness :)

But yeah... be safe, have a good time! Remember to take the time to see things NOT through the viewfinder. I get so into the photography that I forget to just enjoy life and travel.

Most reactions

Back