Just tell me if I should give up now...

JMBriggs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lately my confidence has taken a major dive... I figure I will post a picture up and if you shred it to bits then maybe I should rethink my enthusiasm and if you kinda like it then maybe I'll keep trying...

This is a picture I took at my friends wedding...

The things I ALREADY know I did wrong...
The black pants are too black and lost all detail...
Should have used a flash
Yes there is a hotspot in the grass that is distracting...

IMG_9020.jpg

I'm ready... Do you're worst.

Lately my confidence has taken a major dive... I figure I will post a picture up and if you shred it to bits then maybe I should rethink my enthusiasm

Or you could stop being so mopey, take the critique advice, learn from it, grow, and get better. :sexywink:

You have to keep your chin up when you're working at something like this. It sure does get discouraging sometimes, but you have to push through those moments. You learn from your mistakes, you push to get better and you keep trying.

You don't give up just because your images get a lot of negative comments. ALL of us get negative comments on our work... ESPECIALLY when we're first starting out. I don't know how new to this you are, but critique should push you to be better, not push you to give up.

Are you sure? I feel like the sunflowers are really gorgeous and it would be a shame to lose there color... But I'll try it.

Lately my confidence has taken a major dive... I figure I will post a picture up and if you shred it to bits then maybe I should rethink my enthusiasm

Or you could stop being so mopey, take the critique advice, learn from it, grow, and get better. :sexywink:

You have to keep your chin up when you're working at something like this. It sure does get discouraging sometimes, but you have to push through those moments. You learn from your mistakes, you push to get better and you keep trying.

You don't give up just because your images get a lot of negative comments. ALL of us get negative comments on our work... ESPECIALLY when we're first starting out. I don't know how new to this you are, but critique should push you to be better, not push you to give up.

I can take the heat on TPF... Its the lack of support and enthusiasm from friends and family I am having a hard time with... I feel like if they really thought I had any talent they would let me know. I haven't posted too many pics up here, but the ones I did didn't get ripped apart... Pretty positive for the most part. And I feel like the mojority of you are all quite talented that do give CC... But you're right... I am having a little pity party.

So you know you need a flash... why not get one and practice using it? You can get very good used flash units for $70-80, pretty negligible relative to all the other gear but can make some of the biggest differences.

I just don't feel right about the way you crop your image. Looks like a puzzle. Either zoom in to shot at the flower and hands only or get the whole picture.

Who are you doing photography for? It should be for yourself. ;)

did you edit this photo?

The dress is blue. It should be white. Fix that first. This is called white balance. Next you say the pants are too black. Turn the exposure up higher or add fill light. This may not fix your photo but you will figure out what you may have needed to change the setting to on your dslr.

I can take the heat on TPF... Its the lack of support and enthusiasm from friends and family I am having a hard time with... I feel like if they really thought I had any talent they would let me know. I haven't posted too many pics up here, but the ones I did didn't get ripped apart... Pretty positive for the most part. And I feel like the mojority of you are all quite talented that do give CC... But you're right... I am having a little pity party.

Get a bloody grip, it can take years to get good a photography and if your friends and family say your shots are great it really they means they are crap so don't worry what other people think of your photos

So you know you need a flash... why not get one and practice using it? You can get very good used flash units for $70-80, pretty negligible relative to all the other gear but can make some of the biggest differences.

I've been looking around and reading review after review but just don't know what to get... I am completely stumped! Any suggestions? I was told if I am going to shoot events (I do stuff for myself... Like my friends wedding and company xmas parties and such. Not prof at all.) then I need at least a 480.

I just don't feel right about the way you crop your image. Looks like a puzzle. Either zoom in to shot at the flower and hands only or get the whole picture.

She wanted to capture their cute shoes... they bought them just for the wedding... but just their feet was a bit .... ummm.... Boring? It just didn't work lets just say. I did do a few different shots at different angles and such and this is the only one that worked... Plus it was her fav ( =

DiskoJoe said:
did you edit this photo?

The dress is blue. It should be white. Fix that first. This is called white balance. Next you say the pants are too black. Turn the exposure up higher or add fill light. This may not fix your photo but you will figure out what you may have needed to change the setting to on your dslr.

Thank you... But I believe its the post that's blue... Neither my monitor or the prints are blue.

...She wanted to capture their cute shoes... they bought them just for the wedding... but just their feet was a bit .... ummm.... Boring? It just didn't work lets just say. I did do a few different shots at different angles and such and this is the only one that worked... Plus it was her fav ( =
Think "outside the boot". Boots don't always have to be on the ground. Especially western boots. How about working with this idea until you get something you like. Remember, just because the client says, "This is my favourite" doesn't mean it can't be improved on.

For me, there's no bigger confidence builder than getting something right that you weren't happy with. You should be able to find a couple of people with boots to practice on; try having them sit down and lean back, place their feet on an old wooden kitchen chair, or something else 'western' looking. Try something really off the wall; how about having them kicking a soccer ball?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back