Just to Inflame you.

As Unimaximum pointed out, with Canon EOS cameras, there's very little difference between Program and either Shutter or Aperture Priortity. Mainly, I notice that it locks the shutter speed, and therefore aperture, if you have the flash up (but you can still dial in exposure compensation); and it won't let you select a shutter-aperture combination that will cause the meter to read over or under-exposure (except for whatever compensation you've dialed in).

I've often wondered why cameras, particularly the top-line models, include any modes other than the "Creative Zone" modes (P, TV, AV, M, and Dep). I suppose it's because those who are rich enough to have "the best camera," but lack sufficient interest in photography to worry about exposure, want modes which will suit their preference of convenience over understanding. However, each of these modes is essentially the same as the Program mode, with various curious deviations (such as, in the "Landscape" mode, it won't fire the flash).

Historically, I've used full manual 95% or more of the time. Lately, I've been using AV a lot more; don't ask why, because I don't really know. TV gets used quite infrequently, and once in a blue moon, I'll actually use Program--generally when I'm getting the shots I want but have short notice that the shot is coming up. A good example would be the homecoming at the airport, when an entire company of soldiers welcomed their fellows back from the desert. Even then, however, I believe I was using TV... I wanted to make sure my shots weren't blurred.

Idle thoughts...

Fun thread.

I dislike selective coloring as well. Not really sure why, but I find it a huge
turn off when I see it. Like the photo isn't good enough to stand on it's own,
there has to be some special touch to it to make it that way.

*shrug*

What do I know? I am a serious novice.

I would have never stated this opinion had this thread not been created. I feel
much better now after saying (typing) it though. Thanks for allowing me to
release this burden from myself. :)

Selective colouring is for play.
It is a fun device.
When I finally found out how it is done (which was a big achievement for me in my getting myself familiar with PS, thank you Artemis for the online tutorial once again :D), I just had to apply it to some photos.
But selective colouring does not change a mediocre photo into a piece of art.
I doubt that those who use it here and show their results mean to express that.
I am sure they also only enjoy the process and the result because it is something you could not do to photos (other than handcolouring them partially, of course) just that easily before digital photography and PS came up.
But it remains "fun" - "play". Why not allow people to also have fun with their favourite pasttime when they work on their pictures in front of their screens? I think it is just ok - as long as it is all taken in good fun.

Boo Hoo Hoo.... i have done selective colouring - spank me! and yes i am relatively new to the fancy photography world so when i read on this forum how to do it, i was over the moon at my accomplishment. Sure it may look a little tacky but some non-photog people actually like it. For example the baby with blue eyes in a past post of mine, my friend asked me to do it and a lot of other girlfriends with bubs/kids liked it... and want me to do the same for them.... so do i say no? No - i'll give them what they want regardless of whether i like it or not. I know i will continue to grow as a "photographer" by learning off this forum and it's talented members and will certainly attempt 'new' techniques as i find them - poxy or not.......So Luke, if you were trying to be a S*#%-stirrer, looks like you succeeded!! xx

fredcwdoc said:
i've not been shooting long, only about a year

Oh thank God for that. At first I thought you were a novice but you must at least be an expert by now.

So if you judge others as lazy or stupid because they don't do as you do, then based on your spelling and poor grammar, am I to judge you as being stupid? Or are you being lazy? Do you see my point?

Does it really matter what mode people shoot in?

If it really, truly bothers you that much, then take the time to teach them how to do it the way you think is right. You may even find out that they are not really lazy or stupid. Just lacking knowledge.
yeah, right, the first bit was okay, nice touch of sarcasm but meh, i know what i know.
yes, my poor spelling and grammar is the result of laziness, most definitely. The difference is, I don't aspire to be a great internet forum nerd, so I could give a *bad word* about my spelling and grammar in such an informal situation, I asure you, I'm not illiterate, far from it. So, why can i say it's bad for others to be lazy with cameras when i am lazy with spelling? simple, i completely advocate the use of auto for anyone that doesnt want to get good beyond snap shots, anyone that is just taking holiday photos etc. It's when they want to be good, or more pro, and they don't seem to go past AUTO MODE. Anyway, you missed the point of what i said, I indicated a negative predisposition towards those who might use AUTO, despite their aspirations towards 'PROdom', simply because they are lazy or stupid. I realise i didnt limit my feelings to the aspiring, but it didnt come up you see. 'Do you see my point?'

Of course it matters what mode people shoot in. It will directly affect their photographic lives.

Now, 'You may even find out that they are not really lazy or stupid. Just lacking knowledge.' Yeah, Im sure some are lacking knowledge, but they should most definately seek that knowledge, instead of riding on their light meters wings. i never said they were lazy or stupid because of it, i said its bad if they use auto because they are lazy or stupid, quite different. now, if indeed a lazy or stupid photographer comes my way, i will advise them, harshly and arrogantly that they should exploit that little switch that goes to 'M'.
danalec said:
What makes you conclude that they aren't learning?
perhaps they could be learning about composition, but otherwise, nothing is learning exposure, the light meter is doing it, and it can't learn.

Luke said:
It's when they want to be good, or more pro, and they don't seem to go past AUTO MODE

Never forget there are people out in this world who have spent decades of manual photography - even in a semi-professional manner - who still love it for a hobby but their eye-sight no longer allows them to go all manual, who now best rely on Full Auto because they still know how to compose a good photo but can no longer see properly to achieve it. I will not let anyone say about someone like my own father, who HAS TO rely on full-auto nowadays, with only one seeing eye left, at 76 years of age, that he is too silly to do otherwise!

But I understand that all you really wanted to do here is rile us, Luke.
I think you succeeded. And therefore this thread will have to come to an end soon.

LaFoto said:
I will not let anyone say about someone like my own father, who HAS TO rely on full-auto nowadays, with only one seeing eye left, at 76 years of age, that he is too silly to do otherwise!

But I understand that all you really wanted to do here is rile us, Luke.
I think you succeeded. And therefore this thread will have to come to an end soon.
As if I've the nerve to insult someone that uses it because they have to, based on physical problems, of course I don't think you're Dad's lazy. Really, if you've got a good excuse, then thats fair enough.
Yeah I've seeme to rile up a few people, really wish I hadn't phrased it in such a strong way, but you know. The thread is still sorta interesting.

jemmy said:
Boo Hoo Hoo.... i have done selective colouring - spank me! and yes i am relatively new to the fancy photography world so when i read on this forum how to do it, i was over the moon at my accomplishment. Sure it may look a little tacky but some non-photog people actually like it. For example the baby with blue eyes in a past post of mine, my friend asked me to do it and a lot of other girlfriends with bubs/kids liked it... and want me to do the same for them.... so do i say no? No - i'll give them what they want regardless of whether i like it or not. I know i will continue to grow as a "photographer" by learning off this forum and it's talented members and will certainly attempt 'new' techniques as i find them - poxy or not.......So Luke, if you were trying to be a S*#%-stirrer, looks like you succeeded!! xx
i still hate selective colouring :p but whatever you say... XD

Luke said:
Program mode is for idiots
and selective colouring is inane, the novelty died once it had been done thrice.
just to make you argue with me, but i do largely believe what i said.
EDIT:
yeah sorry, allow me to be more clear, i just wanted to know what other people thought, and figured i couldnt do it without an argument, but yeah, i just find it annoying when people selectively colour, cos usually, it doesnt look too good, just cheesy. and i also am an advocate of people really learning about aperture and shutter, rather than leaving it on program and letting the camera think.

The computer dosn't really think that hard. Don't worry about it...:thumbup:

Jake

tehbuffalo said:
The computer dosn't really think that hard. Don't worry about it...:thumbup:

Jake
exactly, better to leave it into the hands of a human. humans are generally more perceptive and competent than light meters ;)

I understand your concerns. Can not say that I have ever shot program or used selective colouring. That's just me. Program mode is what it is. If the photographer chooses not to investigate further why should I care? Generally I am concerned with the work first and the process second. Art is a personal journey. We should never judge that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back