K-mount Film Camera

jesseoffy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently bought two used k-mount film cameras (intended for IR film photography), and both managed to be unresponsive (film winder and shutter button). That said, I have 6 good manual focus K-mount lenses, which makes it worth my time to find a k-mount camera rather than starting over. But there are so many k-mount capable models that I don't know where to start.

Could anyone direct me toward a decent k-mount film camera—it needs to be manual wind (auto wind can ruin IR film) and maybe not a Ricoh KR-10 Super (you can guess what both broken models are)?

Thank you

I recently bought two used k-mount film cameras (intended for IR film photography), and both managed to be unresponsive (film winder and shutter button). That said, I have 6 good manual focus K-mount lenses, which makes it worth my time to find a k-mount camera rather than starting over. But there are so many k-mount capable models that I don't know where to start.

Could anyone direct me toward a decent k-mount film camera—it needs to be manual wind (auto wind can ruin IR film) and maybe not a Ricoh KR-10 Super (you can guess what both broken models are)?

Thank you

The most common issues with older film cameras are light seals and shutter speeds. If you get one in good working condition, it's hard to go wrong with a K1000.

There's also an ME Super on keh.com: Pentax ME Super Chrome 35mm Camera Body

The most common issues with older film cameras are light seals and shutter speeds. If you get one in good working condition, it's hard to go wrong with a K1000.

Thanks for the warning and suggestions. That ME Super you suggested—any experience with that model? I'm unfamiliar with a film camera that only has A, M, and 125 shutter speeds, and since its light meter is inoperative, I'd assume the A becomes out of question. I'll keep my eyes open for a K1000.

A is Auto (Aperture Priority) Mode, M is Manual Mode and 1/125 is synch speed and the only speed available when the battery is dead. Perhaps they say the meter is inoperative since they don't have a battery in it.

Thanks for the warning and suggestions. That ME Super you suggested—any experience with that model? I'm unfamiliar with a film camera that only has A, M, and 125 shutter speeds, and since its light meter is inoperative, I'd assume the A becomes out of question. I'll keep my eyes open for a K1000.

Listen to Sparky about the ME. I don't know much about it but saw that it was available in Excellent condition. Keh.com has a K1000 as well, in "Ugly" condition, though. But what I'll say is that the ratings they use are slightly misleading in that the cameras are usually in better shape than you'd think. Sometimes I've gotten gear in "Bargain" condition and it basically just had a couple of scratches. Having said that, you could probably find a better model, either checking places like ebay or by checking back on keh.com periodically since they do change stock fairly regularly.

I've been shooting a K1000 for almost 25 years. In all that time, I only had it serviced once, and that was only because it took a tumble off of a tripod and a wall and it landed on concrete. The top plate cracked but otherwise, it worked perfectly fine. The only reason I sent it for service was because of the possibility that the crack might eventually cause a light leak. Seriously, this thing is a tank :) I love it.

It's also totally manual. The meter needs a battery, but if that's dead, the camera still operates with no problem. To extend the battery life, be sure to keep the lens cap on when not using the camera. The meter is always on and it meters through the lens, so the lens cap is how you turn it "off."

The K1000 does hold up pretty well on a brief search of reviews. I'm certainly attracted to its fully-manual feature. The ME is tempting, and at that price, I suppose even if I had to shoot in 1/125 mode only (due to that light meter warning) I could compensate with the aperture easily. Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep looking for a K1000.

The K1000 does hold up pretty well on a brief search of reviews. I'm certainly attracted to its fully-manual feature. The ME is tempting, and at that price, I suppose even if I had to shoot in 1/125 mode only (due to that light meter warning) I could compensate with the aperture easily. Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep looking for a K1000.

When you get a kit, I'd love to see some of the IR shots! I've got a couple of rolls of Ilford SFX, which isn't true IR, I know, but I still haven't gotten around to figuring it out. I love the look.

I had two ME Supers back in the film days. In Manual you had to press the little buttons to change shutter speed, but other than that they were great little cameras with nice size viewfinders. The simpler Pentax ME does not have the full Manual exposure control as there are no buttons to change the shutter speed.

The ME Super is very compact and has a good set of film take-up teeth that would make it easy to load IR film in the dark.

When you get a kit, I'd love to see some of the IR shots! I've got a couple of rolls of Ilford SFX, which isn't true IR, I know, but I still haven't gotten around to figuring it out. I love the look.

If the film, exposure, processing, and my picture-taking quality turns out all right, I'll make sure to post them!

I had two ME Supers back in the film days. In Manual you had to press the little buttons to change shutter speed, but other than that they were great little cameras with nice size viewfinders. The simpler Pentax ME does not have the full Manual exposure control as there are no buttons to change the shutter speed.

The ME Super is very compact and has a good set of film take-up teeth that would make it easy to load IR film in the dark.

You may have sold me. I figure one of these days I'll find a working film camera. :D

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IIRC the ME super supports shutter priority too when fitted with A series lenses.
I was rather jealous of my brothers as I only had the ME. The M series are all great cameras, - my ME took a tumble whilst I was out on my bike & worked fine after bouncing along the road!

Last time I was there my local camera store had an ME Super for sale. Want me to check on it?

Definitely find a brick and mortar photography shop. They will usually have a pretty good selection of used film gear. Our local store does, the Nikon and Canon gear have the most interest with the Pentax and Minolta gear pulling a close second. The K1000's are a bit hard to find as there are some classes that still require film cameras and since we have three colleges in town they go fast. Ours recently had a couple of LX bodies for sale both in good operating condition.

As I recall from my earlier days with IR photography (both mono & color),
lightmeters were not very good for IR exposures. I would look for completely
manual camera and use the exposure guidelines that come with the film, and bracket!

As I recall from my earlier days with IR photography (both mono & color),
lightmeters were not very good for IR exposures. I would look for completely
manual camera and use the exposure guidelines that come with the film, and bracket!

That's an interesting point, which I have tried to find more information. Did you find you generally needed to overexpose or underexpose with IR, if you remember? For example, let's assume the meter says to shoot at 1/125 with f11. With regular film, this would be a properly-exposed picture. Did you find consistent differences with IR film (and I'm planning to use color IR).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back