K-mount Film Camera

The IR will vary significantly with light source, if using natural sunlight this will vary with the time of day & season of the year. Cloud cover will probably have a significant effect too. Using the same artificial lighting you'd get a constant ratio (tungsten lamps will vary with the temperature of the bulbs, and xenon flash will be different again), but I know that's not how most people shoot IR. If you can track down the spectral power distribution graphs they could give you a clue. I've recently seen some on line that covered average sunshine, blue sky etc and went out to over 2000nm which I suspect is more than film will be sensitive to.

I shoot digital IR, mainly with a full spectrum converted camera, which is much easier than film. For me the metering is correct - my camera being mirrorless meters from the sensor, and of course I have digital's instant feedback. When shooting outside without a filter (visible & IR) the amount of IR character has varied widely. On these occasions I suspect the amount of IR compared to visible has probably varied over about a ratio of 5:1 (typical IR shooting weather might bring this down to 2:1, I use my converted camera in some rather untypical conditions). Sometimes the IR portion is roughly similar to the visible - plants noticeably brighter - sometimes it's barely noticeable with just a few man made colors coming out wrong from the IR.
If you shoot a lot of IR I'd expect you'll gradually get a feel for the likely degree of variation in the meter based on how hot it feels, though the learning curve will be steeper with film. The older IR photography books I have all recommend bracketing...:icon_study:

I've looked into a couple cameras, so thank you for the suggestions.

As to taking IR pictures (to allow the topic to drift slightly), I suppose that means bracketing is the way to go, which feels like a waste of precious film, but I suppose better to have three copies of a good picture than a bad one. If luck holds my way and I do manage some decent pictures, treat the film well, and have it developed, I'll make sure to post a response with a picture.

You may find that a very cheap IR converted digital camera could work as a IR light meter. Just hold your IR filter over the lens & take a reading, before fitting it to your film camera.
Even a simple compact camera and removing the hot mirror would work (no need for it to focus, or give a high res image) as long as it lets you see the aperture/speed/iso it's using. The Sony DSC-V1 I brought for £15 before getting a better converted camera would even do the job in it's nightshot mode, as could one of the many cameras sold for paranormal investigation ...

I seem to remember IR film is getting hard to find, so anything that helps get the best results from it is likely to be worth trying.

Last edited:
When you get a kit, I'd love to see some of the IR shots! I've got a couple of rolls of Ilford SFX, which isn't true IR, I know, but I still haven't gotten around to figuring it out. I love the look.

Well, I had the first roll developed, and as promised here are a couple of the shots. I experimented with exposure, and now I know that I should overexpose, in general, a little. Most images were too dark to work.

Attachments

• 97230006.jpg
    97230006.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 97230018.jpg
    97230018.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 131
You may find that a very cheap IR converted digital camera could work as a IR light meter. Just hold your IR filter over the lens & take a reading, before fitting it to your film camera..............

That would work best if your filter or IR conversion was the same frequency of the film you're planning on using.

When you get a kit, I'd love to see some of the IR shots! I've got a couple of rolls of Ilford SFX, which isn't true IR, I know, but I still haven't gotten around to figuring it out. I love the look.

Well, I had the first roll developed, and as promised here are a couple of the shots. I experimented with exposure, and now I know that I should overexpose, in general, a little. Most images were too dark to work.

Nice! I'm reeeeeally digging that second one :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back