Landscape lens

Ccauceg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I have been looking to get a pretty decent quality landscape lens. I shoot a Nikon D80, and I am trying to not spend more than $750. Can anyone give any suggestions to make my search much easier?

Thanks

Hey all,

I have been looking to get a pretty decent quality landscape lens. I shoot a Nikon D80, and I am trying to not spend more than $750. Can anyone give any suggestions to make my search much easier?

Thanks

It's simple. Get a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 DC FX HSM lens. It's within your price range and it also offers extremely good quality. That's the lens I am going to get in the near future :)

You'll find two schools of thought on this (I suspect). My answer is a 35mm f2 prime. Why? Because it's a fast, sharp lens. If you need more coverage, than use multiple images to create a panorama. The image on the homepage of my website (Link below) is a compilation of five images shot with the above lens and stitched together in CS3. It's not readily apparent from the reduced quality of that image, but the HQ version is tack-sharp.

The other option is a super-wide zoom. Unfortunately, (at least if bought new) those are out of your budget. You can look to something like either the 18-70 or 16-85 (Both DX Lenses) which are decent; the 18-70 being, IMO the better of the two.

The Sigma 10-20 as mentioned before is a great choice for a landscape lens and quite sharp. It's around $500.

I've heard the Tokina 11-16 can't be beat. I've heard the 11-16 is faster and has better optical and build quality than both the Tokina 12-24 and the Sigma 10-20.

Thank you very much for all of the replies. I will take a look at these suggestions.

Most reactions

Back