Lens choice.

XCclicks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking into getting a new lens for my Nikon and was looking at the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens vs Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens. And advice on which one would be better. I am shooting harescrambles, which is woods racing so there is not always the best light conditions in the woods. I have been using my 70-300 f/4.5 and have been making work but just need a faster lens. Thanks!

The 80-200mm 2.8D is an old lens, its ok but I would vote for a newer model.
Nikon 70-200mm 2.8G VRII is the best lens in this category but its expensive, if you can afford it then get it, if not then you can do what I did and get the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC, its pretty much as good as the Nikon and according to DXO is actually sharper, and its about 1000$ cheaper so well worth considering.
I didnt want to spend all this money on the Nikon and got the Tamron, got this lens for over a year and LOVE IT!!!
Fast focusing, super sharp and very well made.

While the 70-200 VR is a great lens it is also extremely expensive. I own one of the early versions of the 80-200 2.8 (known as the "one touch"or "push pull" type). Aside from not having VR, I have taken photo's with this lens that are just as good as the 70-200 2.8 VR.

As good guy mentioned the Tamron 70-200 VC is a great alternative if you really must have the stabilization. While VR/VC certainly has it's uses I find that it's not really required for much of my shooting. The high ISO capability of today's camera's allows you to get fast enough shutter speeds for many shots. If I need VR I use my trusty Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC lens and bump the ISO a bit if needed.

Nikon still manufactures this lens to this day. It's been upgrated to include an AF-S motor for quicker focusing, but optically has remained virtually unchanged since they started manufacturing them in the early 80's. There's a reason Nikon still makes this lens.

Thanks guys! I did think about the Tamron lens until I read a few reviews saying that the images were not as sharp. VR was not a must for me as I will be shooting at fast shutter speeds with this lens but didn't want to be cheap and regreat it later.

Thanks guys! I did think about the Tamron lens until I read a few reviews saying that the images were not as sharp. VR was not a must for me as I will be shooting at fast shutter speeds with this lens but didn't want to be cheap and regreat it later.
HA ?
The Tamron isnt sharp ?
DXO tested it and found its sharper then the Nikon VRII, trust me its frickn sharp!!!
I have been using it for over a year and it still blows my mind every time I see the results.
Here are 2 pictures I shot with my Tamron I posted few days ago about a very similar post and BTW on it OP after a lot of thinking ordered the Tamron!

DSC_0720-1-4_zpsq1fjqouz.jpg

DSC_0083-1-3_zpsbsgcpg59.jpg

Most reactions

Back