Lens cleaning question

CW Jones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an older lens cleaning kit I just found... It says it for Nikon cameras tho and I have a Canon... I know it probably sounds stupid but is the solution really different? I honestly can't imagine it being different... Can someone clean this up for me please haha

-Collin

Key word OLDER... I probably wouldn't trust it if you have a coated lens

The solution will be fine for lenses of any make, BUT I would avoid using it, especially if it's old. A lot of lens cleaning fluids tend to leav streaks, and most of the time, a couple of good 'huffs' of breath and a micro-fibre cloth are all that are required to get a lens element perfectly clean.

You're confusing "coated" with "multi-coated".

Older "coated" lenses with single layer coatings do not have problems with older types of lens cleaners. It is only the newer multi-coated lenses and filters that show streaking when older cleaners are used.

Older "coated" lenses with single layer coatings do not have problems with older types of lens cleaners. It is only the newer multi-coated lenses and filters that show streaking when older cleaners are used.

To be honest I was going more on intuition than sound reasoning. I just remember reading a post about a week ago where someone was asking about using eyeglass cleaner and the consensus was "NO!" because of the newer coating... probably was multi coating then too but I don't remember.

I use the breath method that tirediron mentioned and it works fine for me.

Ya I am just going to get a new one lol I think its actually my filter that needs cleaning. Just a Tiffen CPL non multi-coated as it was only like $25 lol

To be honest I was going more on intuition than sound reasoning. I just remember reading a post about a week ago where someone was asking about using eyeglass cleaner and the consensus was "NO!" because of the newer coating... probably was multi coating then too but I don't remember.

I use the breath method that tirediron mentioned and it works fine for me.

"Eye glass" cleaners are particularly nasty as they generally have some anti-fog component that leaves a film on the surface of the glass, great for eye glasses but bad for camera lenses.

The breath fogging method is reasonably good provided you don't spit in the process. You effective leave a small amount of distilled water on the surface of the glass. It won't help much with cleaning any oily spots (e.g. some fingerprints). Ethyl alcohol is an excellent cleaners. The best source is a liquor store; a cheap unflavored vodka is what you'd be looking for. Denatured ethyl alcohol also works well provided its free of any other additives. Avoid isopropol alcohol and any "rubbing" compound (often contains glycerin) as they will leave a film.

Be certain to use a clean micro-fiber cloth, if you use one at all. They scare me.

Hard particles can be trapped in the cloth and scratch your lens if you aren't very careful.

I recommend using disposable lens tissues instead, after using a blower and brush to remove any dust particles from the lens surface.

If a 'huff' of breath and light wipe left oily residue on the glass, lens cleaner should be applied, one drop at a time, to the loosely wadded lens tissue, never applied directly to the lens glass.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back