Lens help

Nikonmaniac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im a newbie!i just bought a nikon d 5000dslr and have a 18-55mm/55-200mm zoom lens!my question is what do i have to buy to increase the lens length ?thanks:confused:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Forget it. GET CLOSER! Very good advice.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3]
Teleconverters[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]© 2006 KenRockwell.com [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Teleconverters were popular gimmicks in the 1970s when everyone shot fixed prime lenses. Even the cheapest SLR came with a 50mm f/2 lens, and the cheapest telephoto was a 135mm f/2.8. Lenses got faster from there. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With a 2x teleconverter your 50mm became a quite usable 100mm f/4 and your 135 became a useful 270mm f/5.6.[/FONT]​

Unfortunately teleconverters are almost useless for practical photography with today's zoom lenses.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Popular zoom lenses are too slow.

Teleconverters are most useful if you already have a fast (f/2.8) lens to begin with. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When you put a 2x teleconverter on a fast, constant aperture f/4 70-210 zoom you wind up with a useless f/8 lens. The f/8 equivalent is useless for two reasons: 1.) The f/8 is too slow to allow autofocus to work correctly, and 2.) f/8 requires long exposure times. Longer exposures with longer doubled focal lengths almost always gives images blurred by camera shake.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In order to use a 2x teleconverter you need to start off with a lens of at least f/2.8, and with a 1.4x teleconverter you need a lens of at least f/4.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avoid 3x teleconverters. They almost assure a dark, blurry image every time.[/FONT]​

Nikon realizes this, and therefore does not offer teleconverters for their AF lenses except for the fast, expensive f/2.8 AFS lenses.

[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you are silly enough to insist on using a TC with most of the Nikon system you'll have to use an off-brand ( here. Teleconverters © 2004 KenRockwell.com )[/FONT]

How to use Teleconverters

[/FONT]​

You could pickup a 55-300 VR and sell the 55-200.

i have a nikon nikkor af-s zoom nikkor 18-55mm f/3 3.5/5.6g edII and af-s dx vr nikkor 55-200mm f/4 -5.6g if-ed lenses will a teleconverter work?

No. You need a faster lens. At least a f/2.8.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back