Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Andrei_316

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

I'm going to my aunt's wedding this December in L.A and I need a 70-200 f/2.8 Lens. My two choices are the [h=3]Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lens with Built in Motor[/h]And
[h=3]Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO HSM Large Aperture Macro Zoom Lens[/h]
I was looking at Nikon's VRI and VRII and those cost 2x more than these lenses, I want something with good picture quality at f/2.8 because there might not be alot of lighting in the reception, My Dad is paying most of the cost, so I'm trying looking for something cheap and takes Good photos at a reasonable Price.

The Sigma has the HSM Motor which has a faster focus than the Tamron's Motor, Can someone tell me how slow it actually is?
The lenses I have for my D5100 are manuals and the Kit lens, so I'm not looking for something that focuses super fast but Something that can capture a good dance and some fast moments.

I chose the ones with macro so I can get some nice shots close to objects but still have a good reach, because I might not be able to move to close when the Kissing and the ring exchange happens.

I've been changing my mind alot because I'm worried about the picture quality of the sigma's and the focus speed of the tamron's.

Well Thank you for reading this long thing, and I hope you can help me out :thumbup::D

P.S I'm putting this on my D5100 with a TT520 Flash

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have shot with all 3 (2 sigmas the macro version and the OS version and 1 tamron) I own the Tamron and I own the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS. The Sigma macro is a superior lens for focus than the tamron. I feel it is noticeably faster for focus.
Both are beautifully sharp lenses and if you can get a good deal on the Tamron don't shake a stick at it, but the Sigma would be choice #1! If your budget allows then the Sigma OS version ($1299) is worth every penny. SHARP, fast to focus, silent. better build...

I saw a video comparing the canon and the sigma and the sigma's sharpness is bad, but the Nikon vs Tamron, The tamron's picture quality is close to the nikon.

I'm confused!

The tamron is definitely sharp, but it's not THAT amazing and it is NOTICEABLY slow to focus. Great for weddings or portraits. Terrible for action/sports.
The Sigma is the better lens when it comes to focus speed. The NEW sigma is superb for sharpness and for focus. Plus it has OS which is Sigma's version of Nikon's VR.

I can dig up some images shot with the tamron... Give me a minute.

$Cone flower.jpg
Here's one from the Tamron for now. I rarely shoot anything like Macro work to REALLY show the sharpness, so I have to hunt a bit!

Sigma 70-200 OS version
$523084_3781081291436_1962104858_n.jpg$575869_3781081851450_444585978_n.jpg$385751_3639125822638_941363497_n.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Those sigma images are from the top one. I am looking for the file of the ones I used the other sigma on right now.

I can only find one close up with the second sigma you listed. Be sure to click into the large size to really see the sharpness
$Sigma 1.jpg

This is another one taken with the Tamron as well. It is taken through glass
$7812231544_7b0c271e29_z.jpg

Well my mind is Back to sigma, I'll keep researching and maybe ask my dad to drop me of at my local photography store, to see how both of these lenses compare to each other.

I did a bunch of research and I'm now going to buy the OS Version, found it to be really good in stats

Well my mind is Back to sigma, I'll keep researching and maybe ask my dad to drop me of at my local photography store, to see how both of these lenses compare to each other.
Very good idea. Make sure you mount up to your camera and take photos of close up detail as well as use the range of the zoom. You may even want to take with you something very detailed to take a photo of. Flower or something that will really allow you to see the sharpness. Then go home and process the images and see what one makes you happy.
Make sure you pay attention to how quickly they focus. There is a noticeable difference between all 3 of them and it may or may not matter to you. I used the tamron to shoot sports successfully, so even the slowest of them is great, the others are just faster making action easier on you.

If you are decided on the OS version already-I think it's the best lens you can purchase of the 3. I love my tamron and I still use it for some things, my second uses it, etc. It's a beautiful lens, but my Sigma OS definitely beats both of the others in every way!

My dad is not really wanting to spend that amount of money and How good is the tamron compared to the Sigma without os?

It is the cheaper...

Why not RENT the Nikon and then keep saving? The Sigma and the Tamron are decent lenses, but they're a world away from the Nikon, and, you can pick up the Nikon 70-200 VR I (The version I prefer) for <$1100 used if you nose around for the right deal.

Save up and get Nikon. It is worlds away and if you get it, you won't want something better because there is nothing better. Apart from VR II and Canon's IS II USM

Most reactions

New Topics

Back