Lens question

Imaginephotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I am new to this forum but had a question about some glass. I shoot with a Nikon D90 and 18-105 and 70-300 f3.5-5.5 lenses. I am looking to get better lenses. My question is this. I am looking at a 50mm 1.4 but would it be better to just save for another month or so and purchase the 24-70mm 2.8? I know the 50mm is a fixed lens and the other can be set at 50mm. What would you recommend?

Well I plan on shooting newborns/children and doing alot of outside portraits. I do some weddings but its not in demand right now.

If you are in a place that can deal with light, I'd opt for the 24-70

If you are doing mainly low light (indoor wedding ceremony like), then the 50 would be a good idea.
Do you do weddings with your current lenses?

Well a 50mm f1.4 af-d cost only around $250 used, compared to $1500+ for the 24-70mm f2.8.

The 50mm will be twice as fast wide open and sharper then the zoom, I'd say buy it first--the 24-70 would compliment it later.

Get the 50mm and then save up and get the 85mm 1.4. The 85mm 1.4 hands down one of the best potrait lens in the business.

Thanks for all your input guys. I will be purchasing the 50mm 1.4 soon. I am new to the digital world, I always shot with film until this past year. I want to get some good jobs and save up for some different lenses. Such as the 12-24, 24-70 and the 70-200. I know thats alot of money but it will be worth it!!

Don't forget lens rentals! If you are shooting something requiring the 24-70 and dont have the cash for it, go ahead and rent it for the day/weekend. If its a paid gig, get them to cover the cost. If its not a paid gig, get them to cover the cost :)

Great choice! 50 now and 24 - 70 later. You will be very happy with the 24 - 70 when you pick it up.

I love mine.

Keep in mind there are two versions of the 50mm 1.4 to pick from:

50mm 1.4 af-d or 50mm 1.4 G af-s

The later of which is reported to be slightly sharper wide open, and cost twice as much.

I own the cheaper of the two, and it performs great!

Primes all the way. in my experience primes have given me sharper and brighter images. get a 28 or 35mm, that 50mm, and a 105 or something like a 135 and you should be set!

and dont forget to consider the crop factor. that 50mm will shoot more like a 85mm lens. if you want a 50mm focal length with the crop, you should pick up a 35mm. i have an old (1990s?) 35mm f2 lens that is SHARP, even at f2!

The lens I'm getting is at B&H for $434. It's the newest one out. My friend has a used lens for $290 but I would rather pay the difference I believe and get the new one. I would post a pic but it says I can't.

If there is no mold or scratches on the rear element, why not opt for saving some money?

I have the 50 f/1.8D and the 35 f/1.8G. A little over $300 for the pair..Extra sharp, great portrait lenses. But be prepared when shooting a wedding to be moving around a good bit, backing up and stepping forward to get the shots you want. Sometimes annoying to the guests. Especially when using flash. The 24-70 f/2.8 would really be helpful in these situations...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back