Lens suggestions for D800E

Boney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just put down a deposit for a D800E. I presently own the D7000. My lens collection is as follows.
18-55 stored in its box.
18-105 stored in its box.
18-200 kept on camera for most casual shooting.
70-300 mostly used when I need the 300 tele capability.
10.5 fisheye just for fun.
105 micro.

Only the 70-300 and the 105 micro are FX lenses. My first thought was to get the 24-70 to fill in the blank below the 70-300. But alas was a little shocked to see that this lens does not have VR. I am in my 70s and suffer from a tremor. So I thought that maybe a couple of different fixed focal lengths to take full advantage of the D800E resolution.
But without the VR I am going to have to carry around my tripod.

What would you folks do in my case? I guess I could consider some of the non Nikon lenses, but where to start. The 24-70, f2.8 just seem perfect, but I'm afraid that without the VR I may not be able to hand hold some shots. The weight of the camera and lens are a big help in stabilizing motion, but not entirely. There is a used 24-70 one on Craigs list for $1500 claimed to be like new, but there is also a 28-70 for $1100 also claimed to be like new.

Getting old is the pits. I love my D7000 and hopefully will also love the D800E. I have a couple of months waiting for it to come before I get pressured any more.

I dont get why not ALL new lenses have VR, either. Its an awesome idea, why omit it ?

Solarflare said:
I dont get why not ALL new lenses have VR, either. Its an awesome idea, why omit it ?

Because its not really needed for focal lengths below 100mm.

Solarflare said:

Unless you want to shoot in really low light...then the VR MIGHT save you from a blurry picture..again MIGHT.

if you get the 24-70, shoot at minimum of 1/125 shutter speed and you'll be alright even with your tremor shake in hands. unless you REALLY shake and not just normal shake...

I think tamron are about to release a 24-70 with vr

If i was buying that body i would only buy the very best Nikon make
In 99% of cases I would agree totally especially with the resolution but nikon don't seem to have an equivalent lens with vr so the tamron may be the only motion here.

jaomul said:
In 99% of cases I would agree totally especially with the resolution but nikon don't seem to have an equivalent lens with vr so the tamron may be the only motion here.

I don:t have any lenses with IS because it is not needed my 300f2.8l does not have IS or my 24-70f2.8 never needed it

Solarflare said:

Unless you want to shoot in really low light...then the VR MIGHT save you from a blurry picture..again MIGHT.

if you get the 24-70, shoot at minimum of 1/125 shutter speed and you'll be alright even with your tremor shake in hands. unless you REALLY shake and not just normal shake...

If you shoot 1/focal length of your lens on a full frame body, so a 50mm focal length would demand a 1/50s shutter speed, that should eliminate camera shake if you practice proper camera holding technique.

VR won't save you from a blurry photo in the dark if you're dragging the shutter. People are still going to move, and it will become apparent at 1/15s.

jaomul said:
I don:t have any lenses with IS because it is not needed my 300f2.8l does not have IS or my 24-70f2.8 never needed it
Probably its not normal on a 24-70 but the OP says they need it cos they have a tremor

If you shoot 1/focal length of your lens on a full frame body, so a 50mm focal length would demand a 1/50s shutter speed, that should eliminate camera shake if you practice proper camera holding technique.

VR won't save you from a blurry photo in the dark if you're dragging the shutter. People are still going to move, and it will become apparent at 1/15s.

That's why i said it might save him...

What will you be shooting the most?

If the areas where you're going to be shooting and are considered about stability, I'd consider adding a flash.

In regards to lenses, I'd ask, what focal length do you shoot the most at? So if you're shooting 50mm on the D7000, then an 85mm would be it's closest FL in FX. I ask this, as you could shoot with primes, if this is an option, my recommendations would be as follows.

Sigma 50mm 1.4 - IMO Better IQ than the Nikon 50mm 1.4G
Sigma 85mm 1.4 - Similar IQ to the Nikon 85mm 1.4G, half the price
If you need a 'high performance' tele - Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR2
Long Tele - Nikon 300mm F4 - excellent IQ

Why do I recommend primes, theyre smaller in size, you'll gain a stop shooting at f2 for crisp images.

If you have any considerable handshake, use a monopod where allowed.

I'll add, rent a the lenses you're interested in before you commit.

Have you considered primes? You might enjoy the Nikon 35mm f1.8 for $200, and the 50mm f1.8 for about 100. They are both fast lenses, good in low light, which combined with the low light performance of the D800, will help you shoot at higher shutter speeds. You could also get the 85mm f1.8 for about $400, and have a good range of focal lengths for less than the cost of the 24-70.

Have you considered primes? You might enjoy the Nikon 35mm f1.8 for $200, and the 50mm f1.8 for about 100. They are both fast lenses, good in low light, which combined with the low light performance of the D800, will help you shoot at higher shutter speeds. You could also get the 85mm f1.8 for about $400, and have a good range of focal lengths for less than the cost of the 24-70.

The 35mm f/1.8 is a DX lens, and combined with the resolution of the D800 will show the extreme CA pretty clearly. If you want a FX 35mm lens, it's either the 35/1.4, or the 35/2 for Nikon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back