Lense recommendations

Trailio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have recently bought my first camera a Pentax MX SLR with a 50mm k-mount lense. To begin with I thought this lense was ideal, however I am beginning to find it's limitations especially with outdoor/scenic shots

I would like to purchase another couple of lenses to get me going, however as I am still quite new to this I would appreciate it if anyone could recommend what kind of lense I should go for next.

Also if anyone knows any good websites where I could purchase lenses (used or new)

17st Photo is where I go to get my equipment. They are pretty cheap, and their service is excellent.

http://www.17photo.com/

Adorama is a pretty good online store also. Good selection of equipment there.

http://www.adorama.com/

As for lens selection, Pentax's 58mm 75-300mm lens is alright. It is pretty affordable, at around 130 bucks, and is also pretty lightweight.

What type of shots to you like to take? Do you find yourself taking portraits, or landscapes, or are you into wildlife, or sports? The right lens for the right situation. Give us some more nfo :)

I'm mostly into landscapes, and outdoor scenic shots. Usually when i'm out hillwalking

I like wide angle lenses for landscape photography and scenic stuff. Sometimes it's easier to have a zoom that can help you crop the frame but I find that I'm always wishing for wider rather than longer.

You might like 24mm or 28mm. Lenses wider than that are ultra-wide and start to get expensive.

For landscape, you should be using a tripod. Therefore you don't really need the lens to be fast (large maximum aperture).

Wide angle lenses are a must for capturing landscapes and scenery. Like Big Mike said, I'm usually wishing for wider, and it seems like you are too.

A wide angle zoom will be cheaper, so if you are on a budget, try a 28-80mm zoom, or something similar.

I've got pentax's 28-80mm zoom (which is standard on most of their cameras). I think the range has been widened a little bit also, so its like 29-90 or something, but its a pretty good lens. Lightweight, gets down around 4. Nothing exceptional, but a great starter lens. The 28-80 (they also have 70,90,105) go anywhere from 80 to as much as you want to pay.

Pentax also has a 18-35mm if you want extremely wide shots, it goes from about 150 to 500 depending on features.

*all prices from B&H

I found this on the Adorama website,

Phoenix 24mm f/2.8 Wide Angle MF Lens for Pentax K /Ricoh

For $69.95

Looks like a good deal

Trailio; I want to make sure I'm not confused, here. I know sometimes Pentax cameras will have different names on my side of the pond, than they do on yours. Do you have the MX from the early '80s? With maybe a K-mount, M-series lens? If so, there was an M-series 28mm (wide angle) lens from that period, that was a good lens, and over here they sold about a million of them, so used dealers like B&H in New York, or KEH in Atlanta would have plenty of them, so they'd be pretty reasonably priced. There was a 200mm, too, that would be good for sneaking up on wildlife and such. And while these old lenses are just as good as the new stuff, they are much smaller, and easier to carry. (Yeah I'm a big fan. I've got the two I mentioned, the one you have, plus a 135mm for portraits, to go with my old K1000. I STILL use that old camera a lot.)

Have Fun,
Tom

Yeah I have the old model form the 80's with a pentax k-mount lens. I bought it nearly a year ago from Jessops in Glasgow second hand. It's been an excellent tool for learning the art of photography and I was told it should be easy to pick up second hand lenses for a good price. i've checked on ebay a few times but i'm never totally sure if they will be the correct mount.

Most reactions

Back