lenses????

I can tell you have never tried to get a bird in flight ;)
I have and its not for lack of frames that I have poor results - partly its me and partly its the lens on the camera. If the lens does not have the reach or speed (f2.8 or less - which means wider) then unless its blinding sunlight ( which has its own problems) then its hard enough to fast focus and get the bird.

Follow the advice here - the lens is really where you need to be thinking with cameras. Really the only upgrade to get more fps is going to be the £3000+ top end canon cameras (also as you are not commited why not also consider nikon?) and those are way out of your budget.

Getting more frames means you can shoot more like a machine gun, but that is no garentee and remember each shot is eating up memory in the card - that will run out in the end and reviewing and deleting eats up battery power (through the LCD) and takes time - when action could be passing by. Part of the skill is learning to watch and wait and judge where a good action shot will be and be there with the camera ready before the action is there - with a race track it might be focusing on a bend or straight where you know the car will pass by. Manual focusing can help here as you can focus to be ready for the car - and not have to wait for autofocusing to catch it - which might be too late.
A lot of the skills come after kit and come from months (yes months) to years of shooting and GB of wasted shots - to get those few ones that really stand out strong

WOOOOOOWWWW DOWN BOY, DOWN lol.

lmao,,,this is one funni, and serious thread,,,:lmao:I started with a kodak p/s p850, then moved to the Canon XT,,like it have 2 now,,,but the story ends when it comes to the lens,,,:peven a dummi like me knows that,,,so Im looking will have to save I know so till then keep on a shootin and a lernin,,,:lol:

oh ya I really enjoyed the amusements of this thread:lmao:keepem comin:hail:

I think you need a camera body. I believe a low end DSLR should work.
As for the lens, look for a lens that has the F2.8 or lower. Usually that means higher cost.

A faster lens (lower F number) will allow you to take the photo with a faster shutter speed and still have enough light to have a proper expose photo.

A faster shutter speed will allow you to freeze the action of an object. For example, to capture a photo of a kid that running around. Or a moving car that pass by without motion blur. Of course, if you are a experience photographer, you maybe able to take some shots with panning techniques and that do not require a very fast lens by a very good hands. (or a very good IS system that can compensate vertical camera shaking)

As far as the focal length goes, it really depends on what type of shots you are planning to have. If you are far away from the object, then you need a fast telephoto lens or telephoto zoom lens. And that equal to even more $.

How bout an A300k with kit lens for 599 and then get a sports lens with that? or is that camera cheap because they aren't so good. Right now I am thinking that or the refurbed 30d on adorama for $639, or an xti, are the xti's any better than an xt image quality wise?

If I am on an $1100 budget which includes camera and everything I will need with it (I only have $1100, for now, but I have a job) is this lens worth it, to get and get another like 18-200mm or so? Because instead of spending 400 on a lens I would only be able to spend 300 on another one if I got this, but is it worth it to have one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EN46MACTJE9MW23PFK2

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
And I'm sorry reg, I was really tired and crabby last night, I just want you to know that I am listening to what you said and I am really sorry how I was being a dick yesterday, thats not like me, I am not known for beng an asshole, (as far as I know). No disrespect man, sorry.

How bout an A300k with kit lens for 599 and then get a sports lens with that? or is that camera cheap because they aren't so good. Right now I am thinking that or the refurbed 30d on adorama for $639, or an xti, are the xti's any better than an xt image quality wise?

When you compare just the camera body, I do not think you see much different. What I mean is using Sony Camera, with the appropriate lens, you can capture good action photos. Same thing with XT or XTi or even with Pentax DSLR camera.

For me, the A300k is not cheap (yes . I am cheap :) ) Just get the camera that feel the best in your hand and within your budget.

For what you like to do, I think all the camera you mentioned should work. However, I found that ... if you go with Canon or Nikon, there are more lens choices out there. Third party lens maker will sure make lens for Canon and Nikon, but may not, or not yet make the same lens for Pentax, Sony camera.

But one thing though, Sony camera usually has the in-camera image stabilization. And it helps.

When you compare just the camera body, I do not think you see much different. What I mean is using Sony Camera, with the appropriate lens, you can capture good action photos. Same thing with XT or XTi or even with Pentax DSLR camera.

For me, the A300k is not cheap (yes . I am cheap :) ) Just get the camera that feel the best in your hand and within your budget.

For what you like to do, I think all the camera you mentioned should work. However, I found that ... if you go with Canon or Nikon, there are more lens choices out there. Third party lens maker will sure make lens for Canon and Nikon, but may not, or not yet make the same lens for Pentax, Sony camera.

But one thing though, Sony camera usually has the in-camera image stabilization. And it helps.

Ya from what I have been told by people with the sony's that that helps. The thing I don't like about what the people with the sony's is that was the only selling point they said to me to try and convince me to buy it, there were yep do any others have in body IS nope. But I haven't eliminated anything yet. I just need to buy one lol. I have been on a full time search for like 2 months now. IT'S TIME FOR ME TO GET OUT THERE AND SHOOT!!! haha. O btw I didn't mean to say "cheap" because it's by no means cheap to me either, but cheaper than the others. Thanks I am going to try to get out to a store and fell them today.

Yes, just try them and see if you like them. For those who has a big hands will usually prefer a bigger camera. And they don't like the XT or XTi (I have the Xti, btw) and will go with the 30D or 40D. Bigger and heavier.

since this will be your first slr why not not start off with a beginer camera then move your way up. possibly the d80. even the d40. the continuos is not neccisary. i get very good baseball/ skateboarding shots with the kit lens.
just my $0.02

I belive the cameras I am going for now are beginner slrs no? the d80 would be nice but its juuust over my limit, thats why the 30d at 639 is nice because its just above the d80 but cheaper. I am just having trouble finding a 2.8 lens in my price range

Most reactions

Back