Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is Kathryn,

She came to me in August for a boudoir/sexy shoot for her boyfriend who's currently serving in Afghanistan. I asked her back then if she'd be interested in modelling for me, and we finally got it together today. Here are a few of my favourites. Trying to get away from white backgrounds that I use with the kids, although I still have some in this shoot.

What do you think?

30-12-2012 Kathryn 2 by CTS.Studio1, on Flickr

30-12-2012 Kathryn by CTS.Studio1, on Flickr

30-12-2012 Kathryn 3 by CTS.Studio1, on Flickr

30-12-2012 Kathryn 4 by CTS.Studio1, on Flickr

Thanks

The first three are wonderful compositions. They feel a little dull, somehow. It feels like you're going for dim and moody, but they wind up feeling underexposed and flattish. The shadows on her face are, I think, not deep enough for your vision - I know you want to show the girl off, because, let's face it, she's ridiculously good looking. Trust me and have faith, she'll be even hotter when you bury parts of her in shadow ;) Plus, you'll get the visual pop back!

Something like this, I think. The curves adjustment did some unpleasant stuff to her skin, do I desaturated as a quick fix, etc. Note, however, that I pushed essentially NO tones up at all, the bottom range came down quite a bit, the upper range got left alone, which pushed contrast into the lower mids (sorry, skin..) and then I burned the shadows down a fair bit more.

$foo.jpg

I should clarify, by the way. I think the images are fine images, she poses well, you're shooting and lighting her quite well. It's only the post that I am quibbling with.

The first three are wonderful compositions. They feel a little dull, somehow. It feels like you're going for dim and moody, but they wind up feeling underexposed and flattish. The shadows on her face are, I think, not deep enough for your vision - I know you want to show the girl off, because, let's face it, she's ridiculously good looking. Trust me and have faith, she'll be even hotter when you bury parts of her in shadow ;) Plus, you'll get the visual pop back!

Something like this, I think. The curves adjustment did some unpleasant stuff to her skin, do I desaturated as a quick fix, etc. Note, however, that I pushed essentially NO tones up at all, the bottom range came down quite a bit, the upper range got left alone, which pushed contrast into the lower mids (sorry, skin..) and then I burned the shadows down a fair bit more.

View attachment 30453

Agreed. That looks better. I will have a further play. The even better news is that she will come back and pose for me pretty much any time in the next 6 weeks while b/f is doing his tour. Plenty of practise! :)

I should clarify, by the way. I think the images are fine images, she poses well, you're shooting and lighting her quite well. It's only the post that I am quibbling with.

No problem. I need the help to realise my vision of what I wanted. The GOOD thing is that this is the first directed model shoot I have done (as opposed to shooting kids and families) and it worked out well, I think. :)

They look underexposed here... but just about right on Flickr's black background! Nice model.. nice work, BTL!

I like the composition and posing, but the first ones are almost 1 1/2 stops under exposed.

I made a simple adjustment in PS using the exposure tool basing the exposure on the white of the eye.... brings it up quite nicely.. With the exposure it has, the first three look muddy. If you wanted a darker mood or look you would need to modify your lighting some more to keep the exposure up on her. Perhaps something that leaves a bit more shadow on the face from the hood effect of the wrap.
405161943.jpg

I like the composition and posing, but the first ones are almost 1 1/2 stops under exposed.

I made a simple adjustment in PS using the exposure tool basing the exposure on the white of the eye.... brings it up quite nicely.. With the exposure it has, the first three look muddy. If you wanted a darker mood or look you would need to modify your lighting some more to keep the exposure up on her. Perhaps something that leaves a bit more shadow on the face from the hood effect of the wrap.
405161943.jpg

Yes, I am realising this. Will be working on these again later tonight. :)

Thanks for the input. :)

I agree w/ tony... expose fixed, but possibly mood broken ;-)

Maybe try more directional light, maybe w/ a bounce to keep from creating falloff on the scarf across the frame?

I agree w/ tony... expose fixed, but possibly mood broken ;-)

Maybe try more directional light, maybe w/ a bounce to keep from creating falloff on the scarf across the frame?

Yes, know what you mean. I have one grid, which was to my right. I need more grids I reckon so I can "focus" the light a little better.
Thanks

Spot meter her forehead, increase exposure by EV +1 to +1.6

that's ofcourse assuming you have a flash spotmeter .. duh.

sometimes I forget people are working in studio.

that's ofcourse assuming you have a flash spotmeter .. duh.

sometimes I forget people are working in studio.

I figured you meant to take a meter reading on the forehead, then increase my exposure by a stop or two from the reading. Is this not what you meant?

Also, could I use the camera in spot meter mode to take a reading from there, and do likewise?

Always willing to learn, so if I am wrong, please explain. :)

Cheers

Your Steve McCurry phase? ;)

To me, these just seem under-exposed. I think with another stop or two of exposure the colours would really pop!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back