Let's assume I have a $600 budget...

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can you tell me what you would buy in my case. I do mostly portraits... kids, teens, adults, pets, whatever. Not sports and such, but I might when the kiddo starts again. I need a flash. I'm thinking hotshoe would be a good way for me to learn, but feel free to tell me otherwise. I know I need a reflector. I think if I buy a hotshoe flash I'll need some kind of diffuser or such.... Throw some ideas my way cause I'm overwhelmed with what is the most important "Next" in my gear setup. :gah:

TIA! :hug::

A $600 budget should get you off to a great start for an on-location setup consisting of speedlights. Maybe start out with a SB600 or something ($200-$250) that can do i-TTL. You can always add vivitar 285HVs for about $90 each. This leaves plenty available for stands and modifiers. Have you seen the strobist thread? Many of the posts include details about setups.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot that you shoot Canon. Replace SB600 with whatever the equivalently priced Canon speedlight is.

I would say a speedlight should be your first purchased (let's assume $350), next will be a 5 in 1 reflector, say a 48" ($125), and lastly a light-stand and reflector umbrella for your speedlight. ($125). Budget spent.

Okay, what's a good speedlight for my Canon? (Stupid question warning:) Is that something I can use OC or OCF?

Go to amazon.com and you will find cheap high quality reflector! I got mine for like $25. It is so nice! You can also buy light stand, umbrella, OCF trigger for cheap on amazon. Start there!

Schwetty, what kind of reflector did you end up getting? It's not a bad price, and I've been needing to pick one up too :)

I got a 42" 5 in 1 reflector off of eBay, shipping included, for$18. It's proving to be worth its weight in gold now that I'm actually learning how to use it.

Last edited:
I would say a speedlight should be your first purchased (let's assume $350), next will be a 5 in 1 reflector, say a 48" ($125), and lastly a light-stand and reflector umbrella for your speedlight. ($125). Budget spent.

125 for a 5 in 1 reflector!?!? the ebay one is the same crap. for alot cheaper

Softbox For SpeedLight Flash 60cm Portable Soft box on eBay.ca (item 110551030562 end time 19-Jan-11 21:07:55 EST)
24X24 speedlight softbox. 45$ shipped. i would buy this again anyday.
really heavy duty contruction: design is the same the lastolite without the name on it.

reflector 25$ shipped.

42" 110CM 5 in 1 Collapsible Multi Disc Light Reflector on eBay.ca (item 350364219821 end time 03-Feb-11 03:40:52 EST)

get a sb-600 for 200$

one light umbrella mount for 15$ (bh have plenty)
and 1 umbrella for like 45$
and 1 heavy duty lightstand with sandbags 70$

thats only 400$
i would buy another stand and a holder arm for the reflector with the leftover money

this is pretty much what i am using as a small portable setup for quick location shoot

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Go to Adorama and look at their Flashpoint M series monolight kits, if you're doing portraits they work out extremely well.

I suggest you read the "strobist website"

And join texasphotoforum for local help.

for off camera flash the lumapro160 looks good.

Go to Adorama and look at their Flashpoint M series monolight kits, if you're doing portraits they work out extremely well.

I have been recommending the Flashpoint 320's for about a year or more now. The new M-series have a DC power option, which is a small, 15-ounce battery pack option for off-the-grid powering. A few people here have bought the 320-M kits, which are VERY affordable. The 320's are 150 watt-seconds, and are only $99 solo, and around $145 with a stand and either softbox or umbrella.

I personally would buy a two-umbrella, one softbox kit, for a total of three lights t begin with, and add a fourth light as soon as I could. With their prices, $600 would get you a FOUR-MONOLIGHT, four-light stand, four-modifier kit...which is enough to do some serious lighting setups.

Having modeling lights is a big advantage to a new shooter, and these monolights are $99 EACH...which puts them into cheap speedlight territory...

get a sb-600 for 200$

She shoot's Canon, sombody else has said that too :)

My suggestion is a Canon 430 ExII,not sure the price in the states but there £200 here in the Uk.

I just got a 430 EXII off of ebay. Was $278 US, shipped from hong kong, free shipping. It got here in 4 days!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back