No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
No one warned me how hard kids were to photograph... haha

C&C please
My first time shooting people actually.

IMG_3893_zps0096517d.jpg

(Wondering if this would benefit from a closer crop to her face?)

IMG_3902_zpse0e14303.jpg

(I couldn't fix the sharpness of the left eye with PP)

After my experience trying to photograph my grandchildren I've sworn off photographing kids ever again. :grumpy: I was in a bad mood for days afterwards and felt like I was a complete and total incompetent.

Well done for trying! #2 looks quite good, maybe better if she was looking into the camera (I like eyes) but for a first attempt you can definitely pat yourself on the back. :)

#1 I like the lighting, but your model's eyes are not visible, and her hands are cropped, but leaving one thumb re-entering the frame. Also, watch the background for confusing elements. If it were just a window out of focus, it might have been better.

#2 is better. We see her eyes, and the light is very good. Just one distracting element in the background.

I agree with everyone already, #2 is the money shot!

The second is pretty good! The far eye looks a bit soft. You can fix this by using a smaller aperture and focusing on the inner corner of the far eye. That way, both eyes will be in focus :)

This model's natural color is very good, so work with her. Try to get her to smile into the lens sometimes. Also, watch your backgrounds, get a speedlight or at least a reflector (you can make a reflector from a sheet of foam core, very affordable).

And practice, practice, practice.

second photo is nce
Thanks you.
After my experience trying to photograph my grandchildren I've sworn off photographing kids ever again. :grumpy: I was in a bad mood for days afterwards and felt like I was a complete and total incompetent.

Well done for trying! #2 looks quite good, maybe better if she was looking into the camera (I like eyes) but for a first attempt you can definitely pat yourself on the back. :)
Thank you.
And yeah, it is very difficult to photograph children!
But if you get a good picture, it seems to be worth it.
#1 I like the lighting, but your model's eyes are not visible, and her hands are cropped, but leaving one thumb re-entering the frame. Also, watch the background for confusing elements. If it were just a window out of focus, it might have been better.

#2 is better. We see her eyes, and the light is very good. Just one distracting element in the background.
Thank you for the advice.
I'll watch for the background.

Though it wasn't an intentional crop. It was bad framing of the shot, but the ones I took with her hands in the frame didn't have a good expression since she caught me photographing her and she started to do funny faces afterward... haha.
Next time I guess...
#2 is the better shot ...I would like #1 if hands were not cropped
Thank you for the input!
I'll try to keep in mind chopping limbs is not good...

Is it okay to crop the limbs if it's not at a major joint?

I agree with everyone already, #2 is the money shot!
Thank you!

Second photo is very nice. Looking cute.
Thank you Joseph.

The second is pretty good! The far eye looks a bit soft. You can fix this by using a smaller aperture and focusing on the inner corner of the far eye. That way, both eyes will be in focus :)
Thank you.
And I would have fixed the aperture during the shot, but she had already ran away....
Children.

Thanks for the advice.

This model's natural color is very good, so work with her. Try to get her to smile into the lens sometimes. Also, watch your backgrounds, get a speedlight or at least a reflector (you can make a reflector from a sheet of foam core, very affordable).

And practice, practice, practice.
Is there a link you can give me on how to use/make this foam core?
Wait, is the speedlight/reflector for the background?
I'm confused with your sentence.

I thought the natural light was already pretty good.
Thank you for the advice :)

Photographing kids is tough! Especially when its Christmas and they are opening their gifts... not one moment of standing still... Also, #2 looks great. Thats the keeper! Good work.

Photographing kids is tough! Especially when its Christmas and they are opening their gifts... not one moment of standing still... Also, #2 looks great. Thats the keeper! Good work.

Thank you!
I completely agree haha.

Here is a different picture I didn't post because I didn't know what to do about the horizontal positioning...
Anyone can suggest any crops? (making it square didn't seem very appealing)

Also C&C this please.

IMG_3901_zpscef09258.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back