Looking For A Camera (Beginner)

RobiSuicide

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I'm new to photography (as in brand new) and I'm looking for a camera for 100-200 maybe a little bit more. It doesn't have to be small and compact, the size doesn't really matter to me, nor does the looks but it must have a lot of manual settings. Here's some of the cameras I've been looking at and thinking of buying, does anyone have any other recommendations or know which of these cameras would be better.

Fuji s700 (or the s1000fd)
Olympus SP-550 (its on amazon refurbished for only 200 something)
Canon Powershot A590IS

What do you guys recommend?

It you want to be serious about photography, I would recommend a DSLR. Its worth the extra money, and you will soon outgrow a P&S camera. The DSLR offers far superior image quality, sensor size, ISO performance, and interchangeable lenses.

Now, if you're adamant about a P&S, I would go with a used Canon S5 IS. It may be slightly over your budget, but IMO its the best P&S for your money. Again though, I would recommend saving up just a little more and buying an SLR. I got my D40 kit refurbished for $400, and you can probably get a used D50 kit for less.

Well I plan on getting a camera this week lol (I'm a spontaneous person), and all I have is like 220 on me. If I get into photography once I get the camera, I'll probably save up 500-700 dollars by November and get a DSLR. I was looking at the s5 actually if I get the money by Friday I might go with that.

Well I plan on getting a camera this week lol (I'm a spontaneous person), and all I have is like 220 on me. If I get into photography once I get the camera, I'll probably save up 500-700 dollars by November and get a DSLR. I was looking at the s5 actually if I get the money by Friday I might go with that.

That would be my one recommendation if you were to go with an P&S, however I would consider starting with an entry level DSLR. Another 200 will get you a D40.

If a DSLR is totally out of the question, the Canon G9 is a very good camera from what I've heard. I've never owned a G9 or an S5, but the G9 has a hotshoe (I think) and can shoot in raw. When getting into photography, RAW shooting is a huge plus for its flexibility in photoshop. You can adjust lighting conditions much easier and recover blown highlighs.

On the flip side, I've heard the S5 provides better image quality and more manual contorol flexibility. If you can live without RAW, go with the S5. If you are a bit more serious and really want RAW without getting a DSLR, go with a G9.

EDIT: The G9 is a bit out of your price range. It is about $50 more than the S5, leaving it at about $350 if you look hard.

That would be my one recommendation if you were to go with an P&S, however I would consider starting with an entry level DSLR. Another 200 will get you a D40.

If a DSLR is totally out of the question, the Canon G9 is a very good camera from what I've heard. I've never owned a G9 or an S5, but the G9 has a hotshoe (I think) and can shoot in raw. When getting into photography, RAW shooting is a huge plus for its flexibility in photoshop. You can adjust lighting conditions much easier and recover blown highlighs.

On the flip side, I've heard the S5 provides better image quality and more manual contorol flexibility. If you can live without RAW, go with the S5. If you are a bit more serious and really want RAW without getting a DSLR, go with a G9.

EDIT: The G9 is a bit out of your price range. It is about $50 more than the S5, leaving it at about $350 if you look hard.

Hmm the RAW mode isn't that important to me, but the Olympus SP-550 is able to shoot in RAW.

If I have the money I'll probably get the S5 if not I think its going to be the Olympus SP-550 unless there's a better camera in the 200 range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back