"Looking for Photographer to work for free"

I agree, Portland is pretty bad..

Hey, I just had the Bump Magazine email and call me wanting an image for their front cover. I said no. NO WAY.... I was supposed to give them the rights for free and also sign a contract that I was giving it to them for free and was not allowed to sell it to anyone for at least 12 months.

When I sat down and thought about that, I realized how absurd it is that any photographer would agree to such. But alas, they will call another photographer who will gladly give it to them thinking that anyone really cares about the tiny print credit they will get somewhere hidden in the magazine - they think, "I have my image on the front cover, I will be the next superstar now..."

Unbelievable.

ROFL... everyone wants to become the superstar... until they learn that there is some actual WORK and EFFORT needed to get the good shots out there and the ones that are the stupid ones, are the ones giving it away... I don't blame the clients for asking for freebies, I blame the dolts that are totally killing the industry by accepting to give their stuff away. THEY are the ones undervaluing themselves, their work and hurting other photographers in the process, because THEY are the ones setting the trend, not the people asking for the freebies.

I believe we should be the ones giving them the looks as if they are crazy, not the clients at us.

Nicely done Jodie!

The problem also stems from peoples view of photographs as a whole. A lot people (some of which are the ones asking for free services) just assume that all it takes is an expensive camera... Cheaper "entry level" cameras have brought cheaper equipment for us all, but at what cost? Are we willing to pay a little more for our equipment, and not have every TOOL out pretending to be a photographer taking money from the true professionals? Or would we rather have the cheaper equipment with our bottom line going south? I don't make my living off of photographs. I don't rely on my photographs to put food on the table, but I do work for a living and if I had to do what I do at work for free to "get into the business", I would look for a new business because my time is not free, ever. I don't think I will ever photograph for a living, not because of a lack of talent, but because I don't think people appreciate photographers enough.

There is a sucker born every minute they say. I think free photography has it's place in certain situations. Like shooting for church news letter, or a "real" charity needing some help. I say real because there are a lot of fake charities that are nothing more than an expense generator so the person running it can make money, and they give just a pittance to an actual need. Anyway thats off topic.

But lately it seems people are trying to use the charity, or gain experience, or work with this famous publication more and more to gain free work. They are preying on peoples good intentions or wanting to gain notoriety / fame. Just look at all the people that sign up for Idol. They all have to sign contracts before they perform. Be it they are good or bad, they are signing lots of stuff away to Idol's production company! They do it not thinking of what they are doing. They are just dreaming of being on the show and chosen. Now one of them who didn't even make the top 24 has a record deal, and is now being sued because he signed that contract with Idol! They want their cut even though they did not help at all with him getting that record deal!

There are crooks that con people for money gains. And there are legitimate business that con people for money gains. It's a never ending story. They prey on people! And there's a sucker born every minute!

It's even WORSE in the modeling field, and in fact I just ranted on this recently on Model Mayhem.

In modeling what happens is this:

1. There are a lot of guys WILLING to take pictures of models, assuming they are going to be half naked, naked, or various stages between.

2. A model starts out, puts some self-taken-Myspace pictures of herself on the portfolio, and the guys above email her telling her how "incredible" she is and how "she's gonna make it" and offering thier services for free (assuming she's willing to get naked, or wear some lingerie, or show off her assets in other ways that probably won't benefit her portfolio).

3. The model takes pictures with the photographer, and it so excited she posts 15 of them. Then she works with him again, or another of his clones, creting another set of nearly nude or otherwise very limited concept.

4. The mode, realizing that all she is getting is more offers for more TnA photos, wants to branch out and posts a casting call looking for a creative photographer to do something new!

5. Regular photographers, (not the other ones mentioned above), respond to the casting call with rates.

6. The model either ignores them, or responds angrily. I mean, after all, how DARE a photographer charge a model for pictures? They are supposed to be the "Next Big Thing", and any photographer should be more than compensated just by the mere presence of someone of her caliber.

There are probably multiple views to this.

A pro will not like the idea because their photo pay their rent and put food on the table. Understandable.

On other hand, someone who is trying to get toe into door may want to do it just to get some exposure. I'm rank newb/amateur, and even I know not to sign over rights of photo - this part I found disturbing. BUT to get foot in door, some who are starting out may be willing to do it for free.

I see any business as an agreement between two parties. One party wants something for free - if what they want is not available for free, I doubt they will waste time asking. I'm not in a position to judge someone because I am "not in that business."

On other hand, someone who is trying to get toe into door may want to do it just to get some exposure.

This is true of many industries. I've done gratis programming and design jobs that build portfolio, network and future jobs. There's a couple pretty lucrative professions that thrive on giving away the first hit for free.

The thing is, the professional who is always giving their work for free away will not survive. By definition, obtaining little to no income, they will not be able to sustain themselves (seeing that we've defined professional as someone who supports themselves with photography in another thread).

Eventually, everyone that requests and expects a professional to do such for free will get burned. Eventually, they get what they pay for.

But I can't say I regret giving away the rights to certain bits of source code. It's brought me more income in than had I not given it away back when.

Well, I've tossed in a couple free hours to a new client, but then they do something silly like turn around and book me for a month or 2 and I make sure the freebies are not repetitive, its a bone... not a daily meal. (lol)

In fact, in just about every industry I've worked in, working out new contracts and relationships, the first dips are almost always at some discount or deep discount. Proper communication can solve a lot of that, though, as well as well-worded contracts.

I dont know what you are so uptight about. No one is asking YOU personally to do something for free. They did not say "hey, Alleh, can do us a favour and cover our games for us, oh, and we arent paying you"? They are asking if there is someone who would like to do it. Maybe there is a highschool student in the area who has been studying photography for the past year and this is a perfect opportunity for them to get out in the field and get some real experience under thier belts. They are not willing to pay anyone to do it so they can not be expected to get Sports Illustrated results. Experienced people want beginners to learn and grow but the minute they might be stepping on someone toes, its like "hey, you cant do that". You cant have it both ways. Every week my boss gets a call about someone wanting my job for less money. Do I care, no. I do my job damn well, and my boss knows it. So unless you are a little insecure about your abilities, then I dont know why you are so worried about this stuff.

I like the point you make here. As a guy just starting out I'd jump on opportunities to take some pictures, of anything new. In fact, this forum gave me the idea to go look for these people looking for free jobs so I can get some practice in.

On other hand, someone who is trying to get toe into door may want to do it just to get some exposure.

There is getting your foot in the door, and there is thinking that it will get you anywhere.

If you are doing something for free, you just need to really think it through and see if it really will benefit you or not.

For instance, the thing I mentioned about the magazine. Will that get me more exposure? Not really. I would have a little tiny print credit somewhere, usually where no one reads anyway. That will get me nothing. Sure, some people may like the picture on the front cover, but they aren't going to go on a hunt to find the photographer. This is how magazines like the one I mentioned know they will get free images because people have the false hopes that it will get them somewhere.

Now, on the other hand, having an article done up about maternity photography where I give a free photo and they are talking about my business - THAT would be exposure, and THAT I would do.

There is a difference, you just have to be careful.

I was paid VERY LITTLE to have my images published in The Big Book of Babies by JC Suares. I did it because even though the pay was so minor, I'm now officially published with a good source. If I would have been a diva about the payment, they would have just found another photographer. That book also got me on the news locally. Was it beneficial? Sure. But compare that to the front cover of The Bump Magazine for one issue - no....completely different.

I ran a small print magazine for about three years that covered the Canadian industrial scene. In Toronto I had a great photographer who volunteered for me for most of those three years. In that time he got a lot of expierience shooting in different environments. He wasn't an amateur, he went to Uni for media and the whole nine and was quite seasoned.

As a publisher I wasn't out to exploit his skills. We had an exchange of currency, but it wasn't monitary. To him it was free advertising, and to me it was free photos. I didn`t own the photos, but I was able to use them as long as they were magazine related, so it worked out well.

It got him a lot of the exosure he was looking for, as we had an extensive gallery on the website, and all the photos were stamoed with his name on them. People did seek out his work as a result, one band even used his photos on their next album. That, to me, and him, was worth more than money.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back