Looking for some studio set up help

thenikonguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought 2 seamless backgrounds (10' x really long..) I'm wanting to create some sort of wall mounting system that is removable... I use my dining room as my studio (its perfect for it) but, the agreement with the wife is that everything can be set up for photoshoots, but it has to be removed when not in use (because we eat there).

SO.. I'm trying to create something (not stands) that will allow me to mount the backdrops to the wall.. I've tried taking 2 shelf mounts, bending the heck out of them, and mounting them that way.. it seems to be working, BUT, its not easily taken down, and its not very sturdy..

I'm open to suggestions.. try to keep the cost under $100 as I have to put new tires on my car..

I use a bookshelf bracket from Lowe's that should work just fine for your studio. They're basically just a wood triangle about 1" thick held to the wall by just 1 screw (just make sure it goes into a stud) by way of a keyhole plate on the back.

The only modification you would need to make is a notch in the top to hold the closet pole you will use for your BGs in place. Just make sure they are deep enough so that the BG does not come down on your head when you unroll it.

Paint the brackets the same color as the wall and they can even stay there between shoots.

Have fun with your studio.

Edit = Those brackets need to be fairly tight against the wall, so even though they are removable, you are going to eventually damage the paint job on the wall. That's why I suggest painting them and leaving them up. And btw I believe they cost about $5-6 a pair.

thanks so much c.cloudwalker.. thats actually the same thing I've been toying around with here tonight..

I just had another idea pop into my head that is removable, and unnoticeable.. I'll give it a try tomorrow.. I'm going to get some heavy rope, thread it through the tube that the BKG is on.. then tie it to itself (making it a complete circle) then, basically hanging the bkg the same way you would hang a picture.. would only require about 12' of rope per BKG, and 2 heavy duty nails... I'll let you know how it works out...

I forgot to mention, one of the issues I'm dealing with when using things like bookshelf mounts, is that my wall is uneven.. where the bkg would go, 1 section is back about 8 inches.. so it makes using the shelf mounts really hard.. BUT, I think with the rope idea, it will allow me to put the 2 nails on the balanced wall, then hang the paper, and balance it out... in my head, its going to work great.. but, we'll see tomorrow after I get some rope..

If you're going to do that make sure the loop is long enough so that it can be wider at the top (where the nails are) than it is at the BG roll or you're going to have a problem unrolling it.

good call.. i figured that out right after I tried it!

well heres what I ended up doing.

cost me about 18 bucks. I bought some copper piping a couple "c hooks" and some heavy string.. we have a false ceiling, so I moved the tiles, put the screws in the upstairs floor, and hung the string from it, this way, when its not in use, I can hide the string by simply putting the ceiling tile back in place.

The copper pipe hangs on the string, and works great, it rools down and up very well.

Sorry for the crappy pics of it, I just used my iPhone to take em.

5973_109740043225_513738225_2352789_6735709_n.jpg

n513738225_2352783_3735429.jpg

thought of that one during our staff meeting... no.. i wasnt paying attention

Most reactions

New Topics

Back