Looking to Go Pro

As far as jumping into the pro world, I'd have to say don't quit your day job right away. After looking though the photos you have posted, they really aren't much more than the happy snaps. You did mention your limitations with the camera you use, so that does a problem right off the get go. Before going pro you'll need to upgrade your gear and start learning how to really use it. As far as shooting sports, walk before you start to run, shooting weddings and shooting sports are not the same at all. If you have your heart set on making a living as a photographer, good luck, but understand that it is a tough business to start and make a living at.

I disagree. You have a decent eye. You just don't have the rest of it. But a good eye is where you start.

So bennielou what you are saying that he is ready to jump into the pro business as soon as he buys a new camera? This based on an average set of wedding photos shot with a point and shoot on a flickr site.

No, not at all. I'm saying he has a good eye, which trumps cameras. You can't buy an eye.

And I have to add...... Imagemaker, you just need to get over it. You need to make your own work better. If you sit around worrying about other people you should probably hang up you cameras. And while I'm at it, you need to pay your taxes. :) You can't tell anyone how to do things right if you aren't. JMO.

I would prefer not to hear another damn bit of advice about being a "Pro" until you are a pro. Until you pay your taxes, you are not a pro. You are a wannabe. So quit telling people how to do things. It's totally irritating.

Last edited:
The first decision to make is are you talking about becoming a full-time pro, earning your living with your camera, or a part-time pro, making enough money to buy the odd new lens or your wife a nicer birthday present? If the former, that indeed is a VERY tough racket to break into, and will require a huge investment in equipment and every waking hour spent building your portfolio and knocking on doors. At the end of year one, chances are you'll clear just about enough to buy an Egg McMuffin and a small cup of coffee.

If you're talking about a part-time pro, that's a whole different ballgame. Buy a couple prosumer DSLRs, and some decent lenses, total investment ~$7500 give or take. Advertise on Craig's List, and your local shopping papers. Apply with full time pros for second-shooter positions and build your portfolio. Eventually you may evolve to the point where you're making good money at it.

Remember that becoming a pro has very little to do with your ability as a photographer. It has everything to do with your business knowledge and your abiltiy to market yourself and your talent.

Been working as professional over 35 years, paying my business taxes, with my registered business. I don't sit around worring about people on this forum, I don't know these people any better than you do, I'm just looking a photos, and reading comments I agree and disagree with. I'm editing photos from my last shoot, and while waiting for the next bunch to load, I read and write a little.

Everyone can make their work better, some have to work a lot harder at.

Imagemaker, 35 years or not YOU DO NOT PAY YOUR STATE LOCAL TAXES. I looked it up. You do not. You also talk **** about everyone who wants to go pro. STOP. Think about why YOU say the things to do. If you don't love what you do.............don't do it.

You don't sit around worrying over people? Really? That's all you do! You don't post up your work, you just tell new people there isn't room for them. Stop already.

You are so concerned that some newbie with a rebel is going to come in and steal your clients. If you are doing your job right, you don't need to worry about that. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to get you to see.

Last edited:
I agree you have a good eye and it sounds like you have a good grasp of the technical stuff. I have the Rebel t1i and it is a great starter DSLR. I have shot around with my dad's 5D Mark II and boy is that a nice camera! One of these days...

Oh yes she don't! For all the mouth, she's Not being a pro. I don't want to call anyone out, so I will most likely delete this in an hour or two, but I just want to let her know that she isn't fooling anyone with all the talk.

Bennilou I'm CANADIAN. I don't pay US taxes, never have, never will. If you had checked my website or perhaps looked at my profile you will have noticed that it does say CANADA. I filed my income taxes two weeks ago. Maybe you should spend less time skimming over the threads and sneaking around spying on what other people do with their taxes you'd have less to complain about.

www.scottgrant.photoshelter.com

Go to my "about" page before you look at anything, and then tell me I don't know how to shoot, or that I don't know what I'm talking about when I critique a photo.

Apology accepted.

Oh ya, I'm male.

Imagemaker, 35 years or not YOU DO NOT PAY YOUR STATE LOCAL TAXES. I looked it up. You do not. You also talk **** about everyone who wants to go pro. STOP. Think about why YOU say the things to do. If you don't love what you do.............don't do it.

You don't sit around worrying over people? Really? That's all you do! You don't post up your work, you just tell new people there isn't room for them. Stop already.

You are so concerned that some newbie with a rebel is going to come in and steal your clients. If you are doing your job right, you don't need to worry about that. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to get you to see.

80% of your post is right HAHAH

Geez ghache you haven't been bashing me in a while. While bennilou has jumped to her conclusion about who I am as a photographer, she has based all of her rant on incorrect information and therefore remnders it invalid. While you have just tossed in your 2 cents to simply add another comment, which is fine. Just wondering, what 20% is wrong? She's pretty much 100% correct, well she's correct about me not paying my US taxes from Canada, (I'm pretty sure you don't pay any US taxes from Canada or Quebec either) If someone is thinking about going pro and they aren't ready, I will tell them, so she was correct there. I don't sit around worrying about about people on this forum, I do worry about people in my "real world" so right and wrong there. I do post my work, so wrong there, I'm not concerned about newbies and their rebels, so wrong there. She's not trying to be a jerk, just trying to get me to see, I suppose that's a 50%.

Well according to my numbers she would be closer to 20% correct, maybe that's what you meant.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back