Looking to improve my wedding photography, any advice welcome!

I totally glossed over the equipment part. Blame it on the migraine I am battling. Sorry!
Full frame camera. The new 6D is a good choice as is a 5D markII
F/2.8 lenses. The standards are the 70-200 f/2.8 IS and the 24-70 f/2.8
The ideal package being the 70-200 f2.8L IS II, the 24-70 f/2.8 II and the 5D Mark III
Speedlights and off camera triggers. You have a good dedicated speedlight already so I'd add in a few Yongnuo's or older canon's that you can use off camera. I have a BUNCH of old speedlights and flash guns that aren't even made for canon that I can use off camera. It's one CHEAP CHEAP way to acquire a LOT of flash power. I think I have 5 or 6 and I am pretty sure I have under $100 bucks in them.
Which leads me to budget. I gave you about $8000 worth of camera gear only. Besides the camera-which I wouldn't skimp on-there are budget options that are open to you. They are a little bit of compromise, but they are also MUCH better than the consumer options or even the variable aperture professional lenses.
I'll give you a good better and best in the BUDGET categories. . Obviously the price will rise with those too.

Good:
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Macro $769
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 $449
7D $1499
Total $2717 NEW.
This is a "for now" package to get you what you absolutely NEED NOW and then begin upgrading. You'll want to upgrade that 17-50 first, then probably camera bodies. I'd say within the next 2 years. It's kind of a "I have no other choice" package. IMO it's not enough savings off the next package to make it worth purchasing. I'd use the 50D for now and purchase better lenses.
The 7D is a pretty capable performer at high ISO's. There is noise, but if you expose properly it is definitely removable in LightRoom or PhotoShop's ACR.
A bit weak, but very capable. The Tamron lens is a beautiful, sharp 70-200 lens. It does not have IS (VC in Tamron terms) and that is most definitely handy in wedding photography. Combine that with the 7D having noise at it's highest ISO and you really want to be able to use that IS. It is also a Macro lens-bonus on those ring shots. It's minimum focus is at about 18 inches through the WHOLE range, so at 200 you can still focus at 18 inches. I own this lens and I am impressed by it's capabilities for it's price. BECAUSE it is a macro lens-it's slower to focus. So if you want to use it for sports it will work (I did it) but it will be slower to focus. This is the slowest of the 70-200 f/2.8 lenses.
The 17-50 is much sharper than your kit lens and it has the necessary f/2.8. Again, no IS, but at that focal length its not NECESSARY, just really handy to have. Downfalls are that it is a crop sensor only lens-so down the line that may hurt. It's not over the top sharp, but outstanding in it's price range. Far better than the kit lens.

Better:
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM MACRO $699
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 $474
5D mark II $1799
$3272
This is kind of a "for now" package that you'll replace over maybe 5 years. You'll want to upgrade eventually. Probably most especially that 28-75 lens.
The sigma 70-200 is the same basic lens as the Tamron but it's faster on the focus. I've heard tell it's sharper as well, but I do not personally know. I have a friend who shoots with one and her shots are gorgeous with it. So are mine that I've shot with the Tamron. HOWEVER... this is a discontinued lens so you will have to find it used. The link given is one in E+ condition at Adorama.
The new Tamron 28-75 is a lens that is (obviously) full frame capable. It's sharp and has the f/2.8 you'll need. Excellent budget choice and considering the price PLUS the fact that it is full frame compatible I'd choose it over the 17-50 every day unless you have a NEED for the 17-50.
The 5D mark II is a full frame camera with the necessary low light ability for high ISO's. Considering where the price is at? I'd choose this over the 7D for a wedding photographer all day long. It does have some focus downfalls, none of which will be felt in wedding photography much at all. I use it regularly for weddings.

Best:
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS $1399
Tamron 24-70 f.2.8 VC $1299
Canon 6D $2099
Total: $4797
Sigma's OS is the equivalent to IS in canon. This is a SUPERBLY sharp lens and it has the OS/IS you really need-especially at this focal length.
The new Tamron 24-70 VC has some amazing reviews on it. Super sharp and has VC to boot. That f/2.8 that you NEED for weddings.
The 6D reviews and information on the sensor are impressive. It will give you the benefit of full frame which for low light is a necessity. PLUS the new sensor which gives you even better low light ability with ISO's far beyond that of the 5D2. It's also PreOrder only right now, so you have to wait. Given the difference in price? there isn't much reason not to choose it over the 7D and/or 5D II in your position. If $500 is going to break the bank, then that would be reason.

Another BEST option for the lenses

Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (NON-IS) $1399 OR the older version of the IS used $1200-1400.
Older version of the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 $1200-$1400

SOOOOOOO... After all that, what would I do?
Start collecting lenses. You need those most of all. The 50D isn't IDEAL by a long shot, but it can perform-as you have found-and if you use the lenses and flash to supplement it will be OK for a little while.

BUT first and foremost I'd book my trip to WPPI. I am dead serious. You can find room mates and people to share the ticket with. I think it cost me under $1000 to attend last year and that included my hotel, airfare, ticket to WPPI. (I also have a coupon code I'll share if you are going. I believe it still works) Registration usually opens in October sometime. Register early (like wait for the minute it opens and register immediately!) if you want to purchase any additional master classes. They go FAST. All of the platform classes are included in a full registration!!! http://www.wppionline.com/show/classes.shtml

dorian7 said:
Thanks for the input, you obviously have never been to Oregon before... We don't get much sun ;)

I am confused why a customer would want all of their wedding picture to look the exact same? I get having consistency across each set but across the whole shoot?

I haven't done a ton of weddings up this has never been a comment pre or post production from them.

Some clients want their pictures look like a set, but as the photographer, you MUST have your pictures white balance and quality be the same as a set. I am not sure you provide album in your wedding packages, but if you put all pictures with different white balance and pictures quality in an album, they gonna look suck.

BUT first and foremost I'd book my trip to WPPI. I am dead serious. You can find room mates and people to share the ticket with. I think it cost me under $1000 to attend last year and that included my hotel, airfare, ticket to WPPI. (I also have a coupon code I'll share if you are going. I believe it still works) Registration usually opens in October sometime. Register early (like wait for the minute it opens and register immediately!) if you want to purchase any additional master classes. They go FAST. All of the platform classes are included in a full registration!!! Wedding Photography Courses | Photography Strategies

Thanks for all the advice! I may just go to that. Would you mind sending me the codes?

I appreciate all the advice that everyone here gave me and I am working on getting some new equipment with the help of craigslist.

I got a new 15" Macbook Pro with 8gb ram and the Highres antiglare screen (upgraded from a 6 year old HP) -- This has already done leaps and bounds for my accuracy when editing. I was also able to pick up a mint condition Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 on CL. This lens is crazy awesome even on my 50D body. The next step will be getting either the 6D or the 5D3. I just don't know whether the 5D3 is going to be that much better than the 6D, I guess we will have to see.

Last edited:
A question for the OP: Were the clients pictured in the examples you've posted happy with your work?

Because, at the end of the day, all of the advice and criticism and commentary means little in comparison...

Steve, I normally respect your opinions on many subject photographic, but average, photographically uneducated,unsophisticated clients are happy with danged near ANYTHING of mediocre quality, or higher. With a decent, modern camera, just getting good focus and decent color is no big deal these days. I've seen people who were THRILLED with work that I personally would consider very marginal, or worse, when ranked as "professional photographic work". CLients are often happy with photos simply because of their emotional connection with the subjects, and so, even barely-adequate work is often met with quite a bit of customer appreciation. I am **in no way** talking about thew OP's photos here--this is a well-known fact: the general buying public buys family and wedding photos as-needed and their appreciation/enjoyment of the photos is in huge part, tied to their emotional connection with the subjects shown in the photos.

We need to separate pleasing the customer from "improving one's work". Pleasing the customer also involves making them feel good about the photographic services you're providing. A very conscientious, flattering, smooth-talking, anticipation-building patter goes a long way toward making customer's "happy" with the work. A panel of one's peers, or disinterested third persons, OTOH, will have entirely different criteria for judging skill and quality than will the people shown in wedding photos.

My point is a simple one: Between a panel of one's peers, or disinterested third persons and the people who are handing me the check, the opinions of the latter carry more weight.

Period.

I have seen far too many instances of "disinterested third persons" giving absolute garbage recommendations and critiques. Often times, I see such things coming from people who are simply pissed off that they're not getting hired to shoot weddings, or because they just enjoy stirring the pot.

Again, the bottom line is simple: If I have a picture, and you look at it and someone else looks at it, and they're willing to pay me for it and you're not, I'm not going to give your opinion even a passing consideration.

Photography is art, and art is subjective. Accordingly, I'll defer to the guy with the checkbook...

Most reactions

Back