Looking to improve my wedding photography, any advice welcome!

dorian7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I have 4 solo weddings under my belt now (1 last year 3 this year) and I am looking at the best ways to improve my photos at this point. I know the obvious is practice and work on my skills but I am more interested in discussing what types of things could be the best value for improvement. Here is what I have been shooting with:

Canon 50D
Tokina 11-16 f 2.8
Canon EF 28-135 f 3.5-5.6 (kit lense)
Canon EF 50 f 1.8
Canon Speedlite 480exii

So far this set-up has certainly gotten the job done well but I am looking to improve the sharpness of my images and the overall quality. More specifically when I take large group photos, when you magnify the pic on the computer, peoples faces are not very sharp. Photography is just a part-time gig for me so I don't want to invest a ton of money at this point but would like to get some improvements.

What I have been considering is mostly the 5d3 or the 6D and possibly the 24-105 f 4 but any advice would be gladly appreciated. My biggest complaint about he 50D body is the lack of low-light performace. Seems like I am always fighting it during dusk (even with the 1.8). You can see a few images I uploaded by clicking on my gallery.

616099_334810409948942_1942682489_o.jpg
473519_310445789052071_598260379_o.jpg
334143_311380592291924_1642262807_o.jpg

416623_324082727688377_712988233_o.jpg
616186_317482268348423_1175833360_o.jpg

Last edited:
Really, the only way to improve is to practice, practice, practice. That said, your kit is sorely lacking. A second body and speedlight are absolutely ESSENTIAL, especially if you're shooting solo.

I'm not a Canonite, so I can't speak to the capabilities of specific bodies, but good lowlight performance is a must, as is fast glass. Bin the 28-125 and pick up a 24-70 and 70-200 in 2.8.

As far as the practice, join ModelMayhem, and look for subjects there for practice.

Welcome aboard.
I hope you're not shooting weddings with only one camera.

To diagnose your sharpness issue, it would really help to have more details and to see some of the problem images (in a post, don't make use chase them). Maybe you're shutter speed wasn't fast enough, maybe you're zooming in too close and over-analyzing your photos.

As mentioned, most wedding photographers will be using zooms with a max aperture of F2.8. For your camera (and on a budget) I'd suggest the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. Although if you upgrade to full frame bodies, this lens won't be compatible. In that case, you'll want to look at something in the 24-70mm range.

But before you run out and throw money at the problem (buying new gear), try to diagnose any issues to see if they can be corrected with better technique, not just better gear.

As for the best way to improve...yes, practice, practice, practice.
Also, if you can work with/for other photographers, you'll likely learn a lot.

Welcome aboard.
I hope you're not shooting weddings with only one camera.

To diagnose your sharpness issue, it would really help to have more details and to see some of the problem images (in a post, don't make use chase them). Maybe you're shutter speed wasn't fast enough, maybe you're zooming in too close and over-analyzing your photos.

As mentioned, most wedding photographers will be using zooms with a max aperture of F2.8. For your camera (and on a budget) I'd suggest the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. Although if you upgrade to full frame bodies, this lens won't be compatible. In that case, you'll want to look at something in the 24-70mm range.

But before you run out and throw money at the problem (buying new gear), try to diagnose any issues to see if they can be corrected with better technique, not just better gear.

As for the best way to improve...yes, practice, practice, practice.
Also, if you can work with/for other photographers, you'll likely learn a lot.

Thanks for the advice Mike! I think I probably am just over-analyzing as it is only with pictures of ~ 30+ people lined up. I will put up an example when I am on my primary computer later.

I posted the pics that I originally linked to.

Copy the photographers you idol. Seriously. If you want your pictures to be as good, than shoot the same way they do.

Fix your tripod.

Calibrate your monitor... and work hard on your post processing! Look at the images you posted... look at the skin tones....

The first and fourth shots look like Zombies.... the others are better but still no consistency!

Calibrate your monitor... and work hard on your post processing! Look at the images you posted... look at the skin tones....

The first and fourth shots look like Zombies.... the others are better but still no consistency!

Thanks for the input, you obviously have never been to Oregon before... We don't get much sun ;)

I am confused why a customer would want all of their wedding picture to look the exact same? I get having consistency across each set but across the whole shoot?

I haven't done a ton of weddings up this has never been a comment pre or post production from them.

Thanks for the input, you obviously have never been to Oregon before... We don't get much sun ;)

I am confused why a customer would want all of their wedding picture to look the exact same? I get having consistency across each set but across the whole shoot?

I haven't done a ton of weddings up this has never been a comment pre or post production from them.

So skin tones should change from shot to shot? NOT! (and sun has nothing to do with it.).

(and since you have "Do not Edit" turned on... we can't show you!)

I won't bother responding again......

...Thanks for the input, you obviously have never been to Oregon before... We don't get much sun
WHAT does that have to do with anything? I live in Victoria, just a few miles north; the weather's pretty much the same.

Perhaps they don't, BUT people's skin-tones don't normally change over the course of a day, and therefore the photographs should reflect that. As far as I know, grey is almost never an appropriate skin-tone.

Don't forget, unlike your wedding clients, most of us here are photographers, (with varying levels of experience) and are much more familiar with what is generally considered acceptable and appropriate in professional work. Images posted here, especially wedding images are generally given thorough critique. It's not personal, so don't take it that way!

Calibrate your monitor. Your colors are VERY inconsistent.
The cameras you are considering-either one will be good. I'd want to have two full frames if possible-one for a backup.
The 24-105 is not going to be adequate in low light situations. You REALLY need constant f/2.8 or better lenses.

For group shots-spend time surfing flickr for posing inspiration. As for the number one problem in group shots-study aperture in depth.

The number one thing I believe you can do for a wedding and portrait photographer is attend WPPI. You will be able to attend a multitude of classes and meet up with hundreds and hundreds of photographers in the business. The amount of education you receive in that week of WPPI classes is out of this world.

What are you on about?! Victoria is in its own freakish little microclimate with sunshine all the time, practically! You can SEE the pacific northwest from Dallas Rd, but you're not IN the pacific northwest at all. You're in some bizarro honemooner land.

I am going to take a somewhat dissenting viewpoint here. There's a strong trend to balance the colors so that the skin tones are always the most flattering, and I think that actually looks a little weird. When someone's in the shade, I am ok with letting a little blue tone in to the whites, it looks natural. In direct sun (or lights simulating direct sun) warm it up a little extra, sure. Inside? Generally very warm is a good answer, again, it looks natural.

Just as the eye adjusts in the real world and tends to see white things as white regardless of the ambient light, the mind and eye will adjust when looking at a photograph, and you avoid a slightly surreal look.

That said:

1) push the tones a little bit toward the flattering tones, it'll make the customer happy
2) customers don't have any idea what they're looking at, but they'll know they like the warmer one better if you give them a choice

...Thanks for the input, you obviously have never been to Oregon before... We don't get much sun
WHAT does that have to do with anything? I live in Victoria, just a few miles north; the weather's pretty much the same.

This was purely a joke! Haha. I really do appreciate the advice. I do have a tendency to edit pictures with a more "industrial" look. I need to work on limiting that.

What are you on about?! Victoria is in its own freakish little microclimate with sunshine all the time, practically! You can SEE the pacific northwest from Dallas Rd, but you're not IN the pacific northwest at all. You're in some bizarro honemooner land.

I am going to take a somewhat dissenting viewpoint here. There's a strong trend to balance the colors so that the skin tones are always the most flattering, and I think that actually looks a little weird. When someone's in the shade, I am ok with letting a little blue tone in to the whites, it looks natural. In direct sun (or lights simulating direct sun) warm it up a little extra, sure. Inside? Generally very warm is a good answer, again, it looks natural.

Just as the eye adjusts in the real world and tends to see white things as white regardless of the ambient light, the mind and eye will adjust when looking at a photograph, and you avoid a slightly surreal look.

That said:

1) push the tones a little bit toward the flattering tones, it'll make the customer happy
2) customers don't have any idea what they're looking at, but they'll know they like the warmer one better if you give them a choice

Thanks amolitor! I really appreciate this.

Most reactions

Back