Looking to upgrade. D7000, D700 or wait? Unsure what step makes the most sense.

There is a lot of testosterone flowing in here..... Starting to feel like a Canon VS Nikon thread.....

There is a lot of testosterone flowing in here..... Starting to feel like a Canon VS Nikon thread.....

I think something is goin' on here...

Hidden%20Troll.jpg

I'm going to want to shoot full frame eventually, I know that. My lens purchases have been made with that in mind. Fast, sharp and usable on DX but best suited to FX. My dilemma is caused by my budget. And thinking that the only full frame I might be able to push the budget for might be discontinued in a year or so. I think if rumours about the D600 had never surfaced I'd have a D700 right now. I guess I'll wait and see the legitimate specs on the D600 and make a choice at that point.

As of now you seem to be new to world of
Professional Photography. If you want to become a commercial photographer, your going to need a strong portfolio. To develop a strong portfolio you will need a lot of equipment. To use the equipment you will need a lot of experience. If I was in your position and about to invest in your first piece of your professional arsenal it would be the D700. When I interview assistants I ask what equipment they shoot with. Not being brass, but usually higher end equipment usually means more experience, not always better work.

Noobs/Hobbyists - Talk about cameras
Amateurs - Complain about lens prices
Pro's - Nag about not having enough Lighting

But be patient, and be ready to invest a lot of time and money into cameras, lenses and lighting. Then you will invest money on models, studio time, location permits etc creating your portfolio. Either way it's a fun filled ride for sure...

Thanks for the reply. That's the real world experience kind of answer I was hoping to get. I was leaning to the D700 but didn't know if I was just being gear hungry. I think at it's price though I'll just wait. When the extra cash is there step up to the D700 or equivalent once I have a portfolio better geared to the job I want. Thankfully practice with digital doesn't cost anymore than I've already spent.

Yeah, I plan to keep the D500 as back up and use whichever camera I purchase new as my main body. I was leaning towards waiting but was curious if anyone thought D7000 or D700 (mainly as it might be discontinued) was worth getting now. Thanks for the feedback

FYI, Amazon seems to have slashed its price on the D7000 recently, and is also offering some special promotions on this camera. You can find it here: Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only): Camera & Photo . Same is true on the camera with the 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens, which you can find at Amazon.com: Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens: Camera & Photo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back