Mac or Windows?

Mac or Windows

• Mac

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Windows

Votes: 38 54.3%

• Total voters

That is very interesting. I wonder why PCs run PS slower for the same processor speeds...

I still think they are overpriced though.

Like I said before, I would probably be editing on a Mac if money was no object.

Edit: It could be because the Mac was running a Xeon processor. If I remember correctly, they have bigger L3 cache and possible other advantages. I also think that the 3.2 and 3.33 GHz ones have a QPI speed of 6.4 GHz where a core i7 920's overclocked have a QPI speed of only 4.8 GHZ. I dont know if that makes a difference for the test though. Maybe the OS is more effecient somehow too.

Last edited:

That is very interesting. I wonder why PCs run PS slower for the same processor speeds...

I still think they are overpriced though.

Like I said before, I would probably be editing on a Mac if money was no object.

Edit: It could be because the Mac was running a Xeon processor. If I remember correctly, they have bigger L3 cache and possible other advantages. I also think that the 3.2 and 3.33 GHz ones have a QPI speed of 6.4 GHz where a core i7 920's overclocked have a QPI speed of only 4.8 GHZ. I dont know if that makes a difference for the test though. Maybe the OS is more effecient somehow too.

Oh I don't know. This is the top off the shelf system from Apple:

• Two 2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (12 cores)
  • 32GB (8x4GB)
  • Mac Pro RAID Card
  • 512GB solid-state drive
  • 2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
  • Two ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
  • Two 18x SuperDrives
  • Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel)
It only comes in at $14,947.00.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

But with it you get built in WiFi and bluetooth. :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

You don't want to know what a custom built apple runs. :lol:

Last edited:

The speedy OSX results may have less to do with the OS, and more to do with the fact that they're using two processors, while all the Windows tests are using a single processor...

Neil, you completely missed my point... sorry. It literally flew over your head...

Now watch while this thread degrades down the PC versus Mac toilet.

btw... if you don't want Apple spec'd memory, you get more reasonable prices out of other vendors. I use "macsales.com". Its 1/3rd to 1/5th the cost.

BUT

I would never ever take the risk and spec that memory to clients that stand to loose $$$$$ per minute if something goes wrong.

That's the difference between commercial and consumer components. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't seem to distinguish and offer more affordable alternatives. The memory in the Xserve is the same as the workstation.

Cameras for example... A prosumer camera can do 90% of a professional camera.. its the 10% extra that make the professional camera cost several times more than the prosumer. No different from other consumer versus professional equipment... you always pay a premium.

Last edited:

The speedy OSX results may have less to do with the OS, and more to do with the fact that they're using two processors, while all the Windows tests are using a single processor...

Possibly, but remember you are talking about a 6 core that has been significantly overclocked, is a 12 thread processor that currently exceeds the ability of any software. It was specifically built for gamers and content editors.

The only way to really know for sure is to have exactly identical hardware running the Snow Leopard and Windows 7 with CS5. Then we would finally be able to compare apples to apples.

Last edited:
Neil, you completely missed my point... sorry. It literally flew over your head...

Now watch while this thread degrades down the PC versus Mac toilet.

I would never ever take the risk and spec that memory to clients that stand to loose $$$$$ per minute if something goes wrong.

That's the difference between commercial and consumer components.

Why do you keep talking about commercial and consumer components lol.

Do you even know that I can build a PC from literally anything that I want??

Thats what a custom DIY PC is.

I can go online and pick from thousands of individual parts, of any price I desire. Server boards, anything literally.

Can you do that with Apple?

You are talking about Apple spec'd memory. Its just RAM though guy, they dont dip it in gold or anything.

You can buy server grade memory online for PCs, even the ECC registered stuff if you want (although you need the right motherboard).

It is up to you, whatever you want to do. Thats the beauty of a build.

Also you keep implying that Apple somehow uses components that are "superior" to PC components.

You need to know that I have done a ton of research on specific computer parts for overclocking. I know about voltages, loads, grades of capacitors, extreme cooling methods, etc. I have even volt modded a motherboard with a soldering iron in the past.

I built a custom water cooled P4 in the past with danger den waterblocks, and a triple fan radiator.

Many of the parts designed for overclocking bring with them extreme durability, and lifespan. They are built from the ground up to handle huge voltages, and massive heat. They are constructed from higher grade materials, use larger heatsinks and fans that are superior to normal parts.

Overclocking motherboards often have higher phase power delivery systems for the CPU power. This provides more stable and cleaner power. They use higher grade caps, and generally are built to very high standards all around.

I can tell you for sure that Apple does not use components up to these levels.

PCs can use extremely high grade power supplies as well like the 920W Enermax that I used for my system. It has extremely tight regulation, rock solid rails, 80 PLUS silver rating and an efficiency of up to 93%. I highly doubt that Apple uses such high grade power supplies.

You still don't get it Neil...... You are even farther off now that you are comparing apples to oranges.

Yes.. I know how to build a computers too... I know where you are coming from (I've built server class machines at work). At that point why don't you just say Dell XPS, Dell Alienware or whatever other high end computer of any brand is also overpriced?

You sound like those kiddies who sup up their civics and say.. "Why buy <insert expensive sports car here>?"

Neil S... you had to start this thread?

Umm no lol...

I can't be held responsible for people wanting to argue about something, that is on them.

The question of the thread was "do you use Mac or Windows to edit photos?" not "is Mac or Windows better?"

Funny... since you, the OP, keep trying to turn this thread into exactly what you said it was not intended to be. I have yet to even say that PC is better nor Mac is better.

I have simply stated three things...
1) For photo editing it doesn't matter
2) I prefer Mac
3) Explain why there is a premium on Apple hardware (answer your question). You are not listening.

Dude... stick to your box... I'm not saying not to... Obviously it is best for you. Why do you keep trying to argue?

Perhaps its envy? Don't know.. I get the same idiotic conversations explaining my Leica.

You still don't get it Neil...... You are even farther off now that you are comparing apples to oranges.

Yes.. I know how to build a computers too... I know where you are coming from (I've built server class machines at work). At that point why don't you just say Dell XPS, Dell Alienware or whatever other high end computer of any brand is also overpriced?

You sound like those kiddies who sup up their civics and say.. "Why buy <insert expensive sports car here>?"

Neil S... you had to start this thread?

Umm no lol...

I can't be held responsible for people wanting to argue about something, that is on them.

The question of the thread was "do you use Mac or Windows to edit photos?" not "is Mac or Windows better?"

Funny... since you, the OP, keep trying to turn this thread into exactly what you said it was not intended to be. I have yet to even say that PC is better nor Mac is better.

I have simply stated three things...
1) For photo editing it doesn't matter
2) I prefer Mac
3) Explain why there is a premium on Apple hardware (answer your question). You are not listening.

Dude... stick to your box... I'm not saying not to... Obviously it is best for you. Why do you keep trying to argue?

Perhaps its envy? Don't know.. I get the same idiotic conversations explaining my Leica.

You are comparing a Leica to an Apple Mac lol? You must be joking.

Its totally different, because you cannot build your own Camera, at least not practically. Especially up to the standards of a Leica.

You are not trying to argue, but yet your first post here was "Neil S... you had to start this thread?" Good job not starting an argument guy.

Also you keep saying things about Apple like:

"Apple's treatment of MAC OS X and their hardware is following this model. The hardware they deliver is of higher than consumer level quality.."

and

"It might not matter to many consumers but open up the two boxes and check out the components spec'd. That's were the differences lie. You have to look beyond the sheer specs."

clearly implying that they are a cut above hardware wise, which simply isn&#8217;t true compared to a custom built PC.

and

"The only reason why it seems expensive is that there are no cheaper alternatives."

I have proved all of this wrong in my previous post. Apple is not "superior" to PCs as you keep implying. Just stop, as its you who came in here trying to argue that Apple is better. Read all the posts again, if you still dont realize that. I wasnt pointing out Apples flaws until you started saying they were better than PCs.

The cold hard truth is that they are way overpriced, and its not like a Leica or Ferrari is overpriced, because you cannot reasonably build your own camera or car to their high standards. I can build a PC that&#8217;s way better than any Mac you could have Apple build for you.

I find it funny that you can&#8217;t even address the points I made in my last post except saying things like "idiotic conversations" and "You sound like those kiddies who sup up their civics and say.. "Why buy <insert expensive sports car here>?"

Dude... again.. right over your head. I am not arguing with you.. Never said Apple was better. I simply answered all your questions and you are not listening. Your inferences to my responses are off base and wrong. (ie Consumer level quality != custom built PCs. I'm talking about retail. Apples to Apples.)

Its hopeless.

btw.. I am a Leica shooter. Leica isn't expensive because it can take a better picture than everyone else.... its a niche product.. the only digital M-mount rangefinder currently in production. Yes.. I think it is also overpriced. Yes... its not weather sealed, no AF, no auto anything... Yes.. My sensor has failed and required replacement. The cost of products and goods are often not a sum of the parts. Do enjoy it. Hell yes. Do I love shooting hell yes... Any regrets. Hell no. My reference to Leica wasn't to bring comparison but to point out peoples' idiotic reaction to expensive items they can't afford. Yours being one of those examples.

Why the obsession over Apple? Because you don't see it as affordable. Custom PCs are also priced lower than high end Dells but you don't see people (you including) complaining about them.

Again.. repeat.. I'm not saying one is better than the other. Simply explaining why things are the way they are. Get over it.. you are starting to sound like a kid ranting.

Envy isn't a good thing. Be happy with your choices... obviously you are. Nothing wrong with that. But don't pick an argument over some elses choices.

[EDIT]

Let me make this clear...

Your custom built PC is the most awesome best PC on the planet earth for YOU. Nothing more nothing less.. The key is "for YOU". Or is that not simplistic enough for yah?

Last edited:

• Two 2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon &#8220;Westmere&#8221; (12 cores)
  • 32GB (8x4GB)
  • Mac Pro RAID Card
  • Two 18x SuperDrives

You forgot the FC adapter $1000
and the external storage to attach to it $8k-$20k :lol:

From a commercial point of view.. these are still relatively "Affordable".

BTW.. A fully loaded Xserver is well $100K.

• Two 2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (12 cores)
  • 32GB (8x4GB)
  • Mac Pro RAID Card
  • Two 18x SuperDrives

You forgot the FC adapter $1000

and the external storage to attach to it $8k-$20k :lol:

From a commercial point of view.. these are still relatively "Affordable".

BTW.. A fully loaded Xserver is well $100K.

Actually I didn't forget it I choose Two ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB and the Raid card, With two graphics cards you can't have both the FC and the Raid card. If they only had one more slot in their box. :D

Neil S.

Actually your original question is pointless. I refer you to this post of yours in regards to a person inquiring about photoshop. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-advice-purchasing-photoshop.html#post2031266

Based on your post you must use a PC since a Mac doesn't run Paint.
laughing-1.gif

I think I agree with Neil S.

So what if this memory in a mac is a high standard or for commercial use or for servers... Is it THAT MUCH BETTER then some good corsair memory or other good brand? A mac is indeed overpriced for its specs (even if the memory is "better") and other parts are high-grade because you can still build a kick-ass stable GOOD computer yourself for a LOT cheaper.

This reminds me on those kids whose mothers made their clothes for them....yeah! Home-made clothes! SO cool!

I think I agree with Neil S.

So what if this memory in a mac is a high standard or for commercial use or for servers... Is it THAT MUCH BETTER then some good corsair memory or other good brand? A mac is indeed overpriced for its specs (even if the memory is "better") and other parts are high-grade because you can still build a kick-ass stable GOOD computer yourself for a LOT cheaper.

Custom builds are significantly cheaper than high end machines of any other brand. Yet, mo one ever starts Custom versus <insert PC brand here> threads? So then ask, why all the PC's versus Macs flame war threads?? The only conclusion I can come to lies within the idiotic and immature notion that one must justify their own choices externally... especially when the alternative is an expensive one.

As I said many times...

Almost all Mac users are also knowledgeable Windows users... Not all Windows users are knowledgeable Mac users (usually the ones that start dumb threads like this).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back