macro lens help

dak1b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All!

I was very interested in investing in a new macro lens for canon. Whats a good but not too expesive macro lens for canon?

thanks!

From what I have heard, the 60mm 2.8 USM from canon is nice for the price. I haven't used it personally but I plan to purchase one in the future.

^yes, any canon lens will fit your camera.
you should also consider the canon 100mm 2.8 macro, it shouldnt be too much more expensive than the 60, but itll get you closer to your subjects

^yes, any canon lens will fit your camera.
you should also consider the canon 100mm 2.8 macro, it shouldnt be too much more expensive than the 60, but itll get you closer to your subjects

its about $180 more...i dunno if i want to spend that much. i was already hesitate in spending round $400 for a macro.

You will not be disapointed by spending the $180. It is an incredible lens and also works great for a portrait lens. I think if you bought the 60mm eventually you will have wished you would have bought the 100mm. With any macro work you will also need some sort of flash.

If you are planning to take smaller insect type photos, I think it is better to have a longer focal length macro lens. I have Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 non-USM lens (older version), and sometimes, I wish it is longer. :) But in general, I like it around that range,

I bought my lens from ebay for around $320 or something similar, so check and see if you can locate one.

Also, there are some third party macro lenses also pretty good. The sigma 105mm F/2.8 Macro and Tamron 90mm F/2.8 have high ratings as well.

You will not be disapointed by spending the $180. It is an incredible lens and also works great for a portrait lens. I think if you bought the 60mm eventually you will have wished you would have bought the 100mm. With any macro work you will also need some sort of flash.

hmmm i'll have to think bout it. i really enjoy macro photography, but also i'm a beginner in macro photography. macro is the favorite genre though...hmmmm

so with the canon 100mm macro how close do u have to b to take an extreme close up of an insect. curious...

so with the canon 100mm macro how close do u have to b to take an extreme close up of an insect. curious...

At 1:1 you are about 6in give or take 1in. If you enjoy taking pictures of insects I really would look into the 100mm focal length range. I do not think you will be happy with the 50mm or 60mm. The only lens that I would trade my Canon 100m for is the 100mm IS L version. The 180mm may be the best of the 3 but I have never used one, you also have to use a tripod with the 180mm. With the 100 I hardly ever use a tripod with insects because they are always on the move. I had pretty good luck handholding and shooting with this lens. You will also need a flash if you want to handhold and get any decent DOF. I would recommend you wait until you can afford the 100, but thats just my opinion.

At 1:1 you are about 6in give or take 1in. If you enjoy taking pictures of insects I really would look into the 100mm focal length range. I do not think you will be happy with the 50mm or 60mm. The only lens that I would trade my Canon 100m for is the 100mm IS L version. The 180mm may be the best of the 3 but I have never used one, you also have to use a tripod with the 180mm. With the 100 I hardly ever use a tripod with insects because they are always on the move. I had pretty good luck handholding and shooting with this lens. You will also need a flash if you want to handhold and get any decent DOF. I would recommend you wait until you can afford the 100, but thats just my opinion.

ya the L lens is really nice but the price isn't :p i'm leaning towards the canon macro 100mm...i just have to wait awhile before I can afford it. I do really want a good quality macro lens I don't want to be disappointed. I think the canon 100mm macro lens will fit all my expectations and then some!!! Can I just use my external flash that comes with my camera?

ya the L lens is really nice but the price isn't :p i'm leaning towards the canon macro 100mm...i just have to wait awhile before I can afford it. I do really want a good quality macro lens I don't want to be disappointed. I think the canon 100mm macro lens will fit all my expectations and then some!!! Can I just use my external flash that comes with my camera?

Possibly??? Ive never tried I use my 430exII with a lumiquest softbox. This setup was recommended to me from someone (I forgot who) on this forum and it works really well. Since I already had my flash before I got the macro lens I just added the softbox to the setup. As far as ring flashes alot of people that Ive talked to said not to get them due to making the image look flat, but I also have neer used one. You will be very happy with the 100mm and amazed of how sharp it is.

Another good alternative to consider is the 90mm macro lens from Tamron - an often chosen more budget line lens suitable for insect work.

Also whilst there is a lot of range in different focal lengths there is infact very little difference in sharpness between all the prime macro lenses on the market - from the short 60mm canon and 70mm sigma through to the very expensive canon L range of macro prime lenses the sharpness is of a very high grade throughout.

On the subject of lighting if you are going to use the popup you will need to make something like this: Juza Nature Photography Forum • View topic - Macro techniques, tips and problem solving (scroll down a little way to see) to direct the light to the correct place - otherwise you will not get enough light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back