Major new upcoming forum event - all read!

Format is really however you want, though I'd expect most are making it a forum post so that things stay forum side. PDFs and such are a bit iffy as some don't like downloading and its kind of taking action/focus off the site.

You can put me down for a tutorial on this photo
View attachment 94897
Count me out, wouldn't want any of my shots to look like that

I'm expecting a FULL essay on shooting Leica film from you Gary!!
Leica don't make film [emoji6]

Format is really however you want, though I'd expect most are making it a forum post so that things stay forum side. PDFs and such are a bit iffy as some don't like downloading and its kind of taking action/focus off the site.

You can put me down for a tutorial on this photo
View attachment 94897
Count me out, wouldn't want any of my shots to look like that

I'm expecting a FULL essay on shooting Leica film from you Gary!!
Leica don't make film [emoji6]

Nit Picker!
FINE shooting Leica Cameras then! Or film or something!

I think it's shooting film with a Leica, Gary. lol

I have this thought, that this seems similar to usage of photos, which of course is anyone's decision what they choose to do or if they expect to be compensated. Good writing can take a good bit of time and effort and ability, seems like doing work for a business that would usually be compensated.

Maybe what I think of as writing an article isn't what is meant here. I could see sharing a photo or maybe a brief description of how it was done etc.

I think it's shooting film with a Leica, Gary. lol

I have this thought, that this seems similar to usage of photos, which of course is anyone's decision what they choose to do or if they expect to be compensated. Good writing can take a good bit of time and effort and ability, seems like doing work for a business that would usually be compensated.

Maybe what I think of as writing an article isn't what is meant here. I could see sharing a photo or maybe a brief description of how it was done etc.

I understand where you're coming from, and yes, writing an article can be hard work. Good writing is HARD. And time consuming. Editing good writing is also hard and time consuming.

BUT:
1. You mention it is similar to usage of photos (without compensation). Well, we do that here too. This is a site for voluntarily sharing what we produce, and for discussing our craft. Just as I might share a photo here, without compensation, but also with the understanding that it does not give anyone else the permission to use that photo in any way, I'd expect that if I share an article about photography here, I would not be compensated, as it's voluntary, but neither would I be giving away any rights whatsoever.

2. This is totally voluntary. Anyone who has ANY reason to balk at it, or who just isn't interested, is under no obligation to participate.

3. "Article" here can be taken, I think, as strictly, or as loosely as one desires. I would expect some of these to be pretty simple, more like a very informal blog entry. Others may be quite extensive. Some will be highly polished and well edited…others, not so much. Some may be instructional, some anecdotal. To me, the point is more about letting those who WANT to kind of put a "spotlight" on some aspect of photography they care about--something that perhaps they'd like to say more about than we do in the typical thread posting.

Now, for me of course, since I already wax on and on in my REGULAR threads, just imagine how long my "articles" might be!! :lol:
But others may not write that much more than I do in a typical post, and think they've been wordy.

I just think it will be an interesting alternative, and am looking forward to reading, at a bit more length, about others' techniques and experiences!

I was gonna write stuff but sm4him just covered it all really :)

Yes this is about generating interest and getting us to open up a bit more. Many of us (esp those in the thread) are oft talking about things we've done, showing photos, advising others etc... But sometimes we do it in a short bits and whilst it gets some of the message across it oft fails to deliver it all. So this is really about encouraging people to really let loose and write. To provide a motivation and focus to getting things writtne (you can see many already say "ahh I was meaning to" and for many of us we've been "meaning to" for ages now - so this is the kick to get it done)

Which is what I thought we were supposed to be doing anyway.

Now, for me of course, since I already wax on and on in my REGULAR threads, just imagine how long my "articles" might be!! :lol:

Oh goody - a jammin' novel. (just kidding - you know I luv ya) :sexywink2:

I could write something about a topic of some sort. Or maybe write a thing about stuff.

I know the idea is for original material, so don't just pull something from a blog and post it here. But can it go in reverse? Once I post here, I'd like to throw it up on my blog, if that's okay.

.......... But can it go in reverse? Once I post here, I'd like to throw it up on my blog, if that's okay.

Why not? You own the copyright on it, don't you?

I know the idea is for original material, so don't just pull something from a blog and post it here. But can it go in reverse? Once I post here, I'd like to throw it up on my blog, if that's okay.

I definitely intend to do that. If I go to the effort of actually writing something, you can be certain I *am* going to use it elsewhere!! I'm actually using this as a catalyst to get my blog going again. I'll probably either do a shorter version of my articles on my blog, or maybe make them a 2- or 3-part series.

I definitely intend to do that. If I go to the effort of actually writing something, you can be certain I *am* going to use it elsewhere!! I'm actually using this as a catalyst to get my blog going again. I'll probably either do a shorter version of my articles on my blog, or maybe make them a 2- or 3-part series.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing myself. I've been wanting to revive the blog for a couple of months and I thought this could be the catalyst.

Most reactions

Back