Major new upcoming forum event - all read!

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
NOW RUNNING - go check out the articles! :)

Capturing distinctive bird images Photography Forum

This is a new scheme that we are looking to roll out later this month and focuses upon promoting more in-depth and higher level discussion and content on the site as well as encouraging us to all share and learn a bit more about each other and what we do.

The articles to be presented can take any form creators wish from written to written with photos to video. The delivery isn't as important as the content; the idea is to go into depth, as much as you are capable and willing to give. Indeed the more depth you go into the better as the idea really is to start to put out some higher level and more structured discussion.

Note that the topic can be anything - really anything photography related. It might be a discussion on a recent project or photo-trip you did; a method you use in the field; an editing method; a full run through from concept to print; how you came to photography; how you started your business; how you develop your film photos; your experiments in wet-plate photography; your medium format stuff; a walk through and history of your camera collection etc.....

Really anything you want. You might even decide to use it to write out a more in-depth answer to common questions you find yourself answering; taking the time to go more into detail than you might otherwise have the time for in individual threads when replying.

The itinerary will go something like this:

1) You commit yourself to the scheme, this is simply to help us spread out the release of these discussions so that we don't swamp the site all on day one and can thus hope that everyones discussion gets due attention and focus.
You can compose more than one if you so wish, indeed the more the better.

2) You get to writing - and taking pictures - taking videos - whatever you need to make to get your article composed and ready.

3) We start releasing the articles spread out over at least one week; how many per day and how long we keep releasing really depends upon how many get involved and take part as well as activity during the week itself.

So if you want to take part sign up below and lets hear what discussions you want to contribute. Remember you can do more than one. I'm expecting to run this on the 16th or 23rd of this month (February) pending how many sign up and also how many complete projects in time.

Remember if you do sign up please don't post your article just yet and wait for your slot (you can use any waiting time to polish and improve).

NOTE - you do not have to have any formal training nor schooling to take part. You don't have to be a pro and you don't have to be award winning. What you have to be is keen to write about your area(s) of experience and knowledge and eager to share, discuss and even debate the topic(s) you present

edit
NOTE 2 - you do not have to write unique articles to each other. If someone else is doing the same or similar topic as you want to do that is fine - you do yours your way. Even two photographer writing about the same topic will have different viewpoints; different ideas and indeed even simply a change in the language and structure can appeal to different readers. So don't worry, you do what you want how you want.

Signed up:
jsecordphoto - tutorial on his astrophotography photo
limr - polaroids - latter submission
Runnah - Shooting PR Events
sm4him - Wildlife Photography Trips (possible backyard bird photography)
407370 - Photography on the Cheap
Coastalconn - Capturing distinctive bird images
Coastalconn - Workflow for editing for birds
JustJazzie - Waterdrop Photography
W.Y.Photo - Lighting Large Scenes with Limited Gear

Last edited:
So how do we let you know that we'd like to submit something? Space.com keeps sharing one of my milky way photos with the tagline "see how he did it!", but they never asked me any of the details of how I took the photo, and people always comment and complain lol. I've been considering putting together a little tutorial video and perhaps an article going through how I took and processed the photo, this would give me a kick in the butt to actually do it

Just post here in this thread your intent to take part and the title(s)/subject(s) you want to cover. It's a simple as that.

It would also be helpful to post when you finish into this thread as well. I'll do a log in the opening post by editing it to show who is taking part - covering what topics and if its finished. That way I can keep up with how things are progressing.

You can put me down for a tutorial on this photo
pemaquidfb.jpg

Bump attention seeking post!

I have written 10 articles and 15 guides on my site and would be happy to share some of them here. If you'd like to use any of them let me know. The guides provide practical information whereas the articles focus more on getting people to take the emphasis off of their cameras and becoming self reliant, understanding light and how to solve problem lighting, and getting more creative.

Love this idea. I hope some of the TPF portrait and wildlife experts plan to participate.

@JustJazzie you should do your water drops shoot - those were wonderful.

Thanks AKUK! That said I think that this scheme is really about promoting and encouraging new content rather than recycling the old (though of course one might take an old article and expand upon it). However you've reminded me that we do have those like yourself who have already written articles and that in the (not too distant future) it would be good to do something to promote them on the site as well :)

I could do something on Polaroids. The only thing is that I might have a lot on my plate for the next couple of weeks, so if there's a way to schedule me later rather than soon, that would be better.

Sure there should be no problem with that at all!

Neat idea, but I'm gonna be busy with the remaining 46 videos I'm already committed to.

Maybe I can use this as the catalyst to get my blog moving again.

I'll do one on one of my "typical" wildlife photography trips from planning to what I take, to how I shoot.

If it goes on long enough, I might also like to do one on backyard bird photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back