Making $ From Trade Shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a fine line... and questionable at best doing what you're doing. I guess Patreon has changed since I last looked at it.

Making photos available 'out there' on Patreon, on social media, etc. of women in robes & lingerie, possibly nude or seminude where men overseas who want to look at those type pictures can find them is probably not what the models/subjects might expect you to do with their photos. At least it didn't sound to me that the subjects know, that the intent to do that was clear or in model releases. You've talked about trying to keep this discreet to put it mildly and have subjects who don't want their families to know. I wouldn't be surprised if their families end up finding out or seeing the photos, or if people in your world see what you don't want them to see or know that you're doing.

This hardly seems like good business practice. I wouldn't have realized you had a degree in business, I thought maybe it was in another field, and there was a good point made about workshops, courses, etc. Even with a degree I've taken countless workshops, read journal articles in my field, etc. - learning never ends. You don't seem to be using or seeing the value of your background in business to find resources or in developing a photography business.

I don't think what you're doing currently can be explained as art even if you're doing it in what you consider an artistic way, because it's for the subjects' personal use, it's not being done for any art purpose like submissions to juried exhibits, etc.

It seems like you're shooting boudoir because you need the money. So maybe you need to figure out how you can make money without doing what seems to be demeaning to women in promoting your photography using intimate photos of them that they may not intend to be used in the way that you're doing. That's how to me it comes across anyway; you seem to be trying to justify doing something that you want to hide and certainly don't seem proud of.

I, apparently, am not good at articulating my point.

I haven't and don't do boudoir for money. In fact, I usually spend money on these shoots. I don't think you can decide what art is and isn't. You don't have to submit your work to a museum to be considered art.

I am always open and honest with the people I work with, and if I did do Patreon I would only do it if the model agreed to it explicitly. I am sorry if I was unclear on that.

These are things I am ignorant on, so I came here seeking insight, not attack. For you to attack a person who is seeking to inform themselves seems counterproductive.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I've learned a few things, and like I said, decided on a course of action thanks to your comments. I am not going to say I am without flaw. If the way I said things came across as demeaning, then I apologize for that was not my intention. My goal is to support and encourage women, and I believe what I have learned here has helped me to stay on that course.

Thank you everyone.

Okay, I think this horse has been sufficiently tenderized. Everyone go out and take some photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back