Manual vs Automatic

I often walk by the shelf and stroke my Nikon "F" just so I can remember what it was like shooting only in Manual.
Nobody mentioned the marked change in White Balance from one shot to the other. The background color is very different.

What's strange is if you look back about a year or 2 ago on this forum, many of the talking heads were preaching that if you DIDN'T shoot in manual, you were useless as a photographer.

You don't have to go back that far.

I find it curious that most of the time people encourage getting out of the auto settings and when the OP does this he is immediately met with what appeared to be aggressive posts.
Now this is only text and maybe the posts weren't meant to be that way, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say it was my perception.

To the OP I did like the photo on the right a bit better. Whether you were shooting manual to give you the opportunity to get the control you want or a tool to learn more about how your camera functions. I think it was probably an exercise that you learned a little something and who am I to judge why. I should just be happy that you made the leap.
Well done.

Took a big step today and finally changed the dial on my camera to 'manual' for the first time!

Chose a very simple setup and chose 'default' in PS when I combined the images.

Comments?

View attachment 126346

Auto modes get to the same result faster -- it's all dependent on the light meter.

It looks like you simply told your camera to underexpose slightly and forced settings. The same thing would have been achieved if you dialed in a little EV-.

The biggest thing I notice between the two is the WB.

I get this question every time I buy a car. I have chosen auto for many years now because it's easier. Might be that way with camera's too. :)

I get this question every time I buy a car. I have chosen auto for many years now because it's easier. Might be that way with camera's too. :)

Kewl. Your cars know then you want to go forward and when you want to go backwards? How awesome is that?!?!?! :bek181:

Cars are a good example. Cannot imagine anyone wanting to drive a car with manual advance/retard (doubt many drivers even know what that means). Or with a constant mesh gearbox. Brakes with no ABS or even without servo assistance. Direct steering with no power assist? Cranking the engine to start it - and not forgetting to adjust the advance/retard first or you will break your wrist or worse.

I learnt to drive with all those things and it was awful.

no torque vectoring, no care

I can't believe there is even a discussion on this. Manual all the way. You are smarter than your camera's auto functions. BTW, there is so much more texture and lighting in your manual version. Shoot manual and you will never shoot any other way.

Where would you like me to start. You have eyes. Can you not see the difference?

I can't believe there is even a discussion on this. Manual all the way. You are smarter than your camera's auto functions. BTW, there is so much more texture and lighting in your manual version. Shoot manual and you will never shoot any other way.

I'm smart enough to use my camera's auto functions and get the same result as I would using manual.

Joe

Where would you like me to start. You have eyes. Can you not see the difference?

I have eyes. But explain to me how shooting in manual somehow creates more texture and lighting. Does the camera/lens magically get sharper when shooting ISO 200:f/5.6:1/250 when I set it there as opposed to the camera choosing ISO 200:f/5.6:1/250? And where does all this magical light come from?

Well I can see this place hasn't changed much. :) Personally, I like to manipulate my light. I tend to like a richer texture. To me, auto settings are flat. Sorry, that's just the way I see it. Some people have great luck with auto. I just like a bit more control.

Hey guys, I'm an old photo dog. I just came here to see what's going on these days, help if I can, and talk to fellow photo peeps. I'm not trying to be in arguments. The question was posed: Manual or Auto. I gave my opinion. Just because I have less than 10 posts does not mean I'm a noobie. Just here to help if I can, and have fellowship. OK?

I'm not arguing about anything. I just want an explanation of this magic.

Learn me sumpin'.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back