Maternity Portraits for C&C

craigdhd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys, been lurking for ages and decided to man up and post some pics to get some proper advice. Got my first dslr last Christmas and after a lot of reading and kelby videos I'm starting to get a grip on it now I hope. I'm joining a local camera club next week so since the weather sucked this weekend managed to talk my wife into letting me get some portraits for practice. I'd really like to get more into photographing people and portraits so hoped I'd get some opinions and tips for improvement thanks.

10126340173_44d6bbc991_c.jpg

10107093414_5c16520750_c.jpg

bigger versions on my flickr if anyones interested.

C&C per req: Not a bad start at all.

1. The subject is probably a bit too close to the background here; we can see a fairly distinct shadow on the wall which isn't ideal. I think your lighting could have stood a little tweaking as well. The overall exposure isn't bad, but light you've got coming in at about 45 camera left is too hot; the specular highlights on her shoulder and the nearly blown area in her hair are a bit harsh. I would have used that as a fill and dropped it one stop or so below key.

2. The background here leaves a bit to be desired, and the bulk of the image is somewhat under-exposed. Pull your key light around so it's much closer to lens axis camera left and drop the intensity of your backlight way down (again, note the blown & nearly blown highlights on her hair & shoulders).

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks tired iron, they're both taken in my living room which is about 12'x12' with 8' ceilings so not a lot of working area to get anyone off the walls, the second pic was taken first chronologically in front of patio doors and definitely agree background to busy so reshuffled the furniture to get a wall which left really no working room. I definitely see what you're saying about the back lights being a bit hot, could do with softening them as well as think the fall off is to quick which is drawing more attention to it, they are just bare yn-560's as my only modifier is an umbrella soft box thing at the moment which was on the key.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back